photographer new to iphone really struggling with photos

walterkurtz

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
howdy folks. i am trying out the 13 pro this week and really confused about photo management...

on previous phones (all android) when i moved a photo in the gallery, from one album to another, it moved. it appears on this iphone that i have a "recents" album, a "send anywhere" album (the app i used to move a bunch of pictures from android to iphone), and then the individual albums of "travel", "models", "polaroids" etc that i created to separate out pics on the phone. and it appears that when i moves photos they remain in all three albums at once.

this seems hugely inefficient. is there a better way? or a better app for photo management? i want a main album where i can see the pictures i've taken with the iphone's camera and then i want separate albums of film scans i've shot with other cameras. should i start over and use "photos" on my macbook? i don't want everything synced or backed up to icloud. so there's also that. please i need help!!

thank you!!

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
That's the way the Photos app works: everything is on the camera roll, and albums are a way to segregate specific photos and videos. You can delete photos from specific albums but if you delete them from the main photo roll they will also delete from the albums. Albums are subsets of all of your photos.

Photos on the Mac works the same way.

There are third party apps, and Google makes a Google Photos app for iPhone, but the iPhone works best with the stock Photos app. I used Google Photos for iOS when I first moved to iPhone in 2015 but I've long since given up on Google Photos and switched to iCloud Photos and the stock Photos app.

walterkurtz

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
That's the way the Photos app works: everything is on the camera roll, and albums are a way to segregate specific photos and videos. You can delete photos from specific albums but if you delete them from the main photo roll they will also delete from the albums. Albums are subsets of all of your photos.

Photos on the Mac works the same way.

There are third party apps, and Google makes a Google Photos app for iPhone, but the iPhone works best with the stock Photos app. I used Google Photos for iOS when I first moved to iPhone in 2015 but I've long since given up on Google Photos and switched to iCloud Photos and the stock Photos app.

thank you. i am uploading all my android pics to google photos now and then hope to sync them to my iphone after. i think this will be a one time pain and get easier after this initial transfer of thousands of photos. i will consider switching to apple photos but am interested to see if having separate galleries solves my dilemma of mixing new iphone camera photos with my old film photo uploads. thanks again!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
thank you. i am uploading all my android pics to google photos now and then hope to sync them to my iphone after. i think this will be a one time pain and get easier after this initial transfer of thousands of photos. i will consider switching to apple photos but am interested to see if having separate galleries solves my dilemma of mixing new iphone camera photos with my old film photo uploads. thanks again!

Please keep us posted on your progress!!!

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
howdy folks. i am trying out the 13 pro this week and really confused about photo management...

on previous phones (all android) when i moved a photo in the gallery, from one album to another, it moved. it appears on this iphone that i have a "recents" album, a "send anywhere" album (the app i used to move a bunch of pictures from android to iphone), and then the individual albums of "travel", "models", "polaroids" etc that i created to separate out pics on the phone. and it appears that when i moves photos they remain in all three albums at once.

this seems hugely inefficient. is there a better way? or a better app for photo management? i want a main album where i can see the pictures i've taken with the iphone's camera and then i want separate albums of film scans i've shot with other cameras. should i start over and use "photos" on my macbook? i don't want everything synced or backed up to icloud. so there's also that. please i need help!!

thank you!!

Much easier to organize everything on your Mac first.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

To cut Lightroom costs and maximize bundle value and privacy I've moved a lot of photos including film scans to the Apple Photos. The Apple Photos will allow you to adjust dates, and keywords from Lightroom are written to the files and searchable.

My job requires knowledge and use of several popular platforms. I'm happy with my now committing the photos to Apple platform because nothing really touches the phone and desktop integration or M1 powered computers. Still, I get how being used to something creates issues and frustrations.

It takes a while for Apple's cloud and client sync to learn all the photos, find duplicates, and recognize faces.

turbochgd

Sep 21, 2021
Visit site
For organizing photos I highly recommend the MyPics app. It will allow you to do pretty much everything you stated and a lot more. Has a small yearly cost but it’s so worth it for organizing. They have a free trial before you purchase.

Last edited:

mark233

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

thank you!!

Take a look at the app Slidebox. This is what I use on my phone and I use it to organize/add pictures (from the Recents) to the different folders I've made.

walterkurtz

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
To cut Lightroom costs and maximize bundle value and privacy I've moved a lot of photos including film scans to the Apple Photos. The Apple Photos will allow you to adjust dates, and keywords from Lightroom are written to the files and searchable.

My job requires knowledge and use of several popular platforms. I'm happy with my now committing the photos to Apple platform because nothing really touches the phone and desktop integration or M1 powered computers. Still, I get how being used to something creates issues and frustrations.

It takes a while for Apple's cloud and client sync to learn all the photos, find duplicates, and recognize faces.

thank you. i am currently on with apple support for the umpteenth time this week...

after making room on my new macbook, i was able to load all of the pictures and videos from my android into "photos".

i then plugged the iphone into my macbook and using the finder synced to selected folders. after confirming that all my photos and videos were on my new iphone i removed them from "photos"...i literally deleted all of them (they're backed up on external drives and on google). i also turned off icloud sync.

i am on with apple support now because i can no longer delete an individual photo from my phone.

i suspect this is not possible without icloud.

EDIT support basically said to start over, sync everything from icloud instead of finder then disconnect icloud sync. i'm skeptical to be honest.

Last edited:

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
thank you. i am currently on with apple support for the umpteenth time this week...

after making room on my new macbook, i was able to load all of the pictures and videos from my android into "photos".

i then plugged the iphone into my macbook and using the finder synced to selected folders. after confirming that all my photos and videos were on my new iphone i removed them from "photos"...i literally deleted all of them (they're backed up on external drives and on google). i also turned off icloud sync.

i am on with apple support now because i can no longer delete an individual photo from my phone.

i suspect this is not possible without icloud.

EDIT support basically said to start over, sync everything from icloud instead of finder then disconnect icloud sync. i'm skeptical to be honest.

Do you have a Mac? If so consider the Photos app there for larger scale management and changes. Watch for the processing to be done. Even if not know the initial processing and sync between device and cloud takes a while.

walterkurtz

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Do you have a Mac? If so consider the Photos app there for larger scale management and changes. Watch for the processing to be done. Even if not know the initial processing and sync between device and cloud takes a while.

yes macbook air. i've always had mac computers but this is my first iphone. i gave up on photos and am using google photos as we speak to transfer all of my pictures to my new iphone. i've seen a couple of comments that photos can take DAYS or WEEKS to upload all of your pics. google seems to be taking hours. will update if/when i succeed. thank you!!

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
yes macbook air. i've always had mac computers but this is my first iphone. i gave up on photos and am using google photos as we speak to transfer all of my pictures to my new iphone. i've seen a couple of comments that photos can take DAYS or WEEKS to upload all of your pics. google seems to be taking hours. will update if/when i succeed. thank you!!

The uploading of your photos speed is a networking matter not what hosting platform you choose. A lot of photos at once and sync across multiple devices will mean a fair amount of time for the cloud side to process - not to see your photos.

I'm an Alphabet stockholder happy with return on the investment so I'm totally fine with free Google services and revenue generated from that spying. However, Apple's photos has evolved well and their bundles are value and surety the way iCloud backup and Time Machine work. Saying you are a photographer, I also suggested it knowing Lightroom exports will have your keywords in Apple Photos.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Days or weeks?

Try photos it’s much quicker thank you think.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

There is no way it will take days or weeks. I’m not sure where you are getting your information from but stick with what you are hearing in this thread. Lots of great experienced Apple users who will not stir you the wrong direction.

walterkurtz

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
There is no way it will take days or weeks. I’m not sure where you are getting your information from but stick with what you are hearing in this thread. Lots of great experienced Apple users who will not stir you the wrong direction.

thank you.

this morning after speaking with apple i tried again. in an hour i think 244 of the 2000 photos and videos i put into photos on my mac had shown up on my iphone. there are an additional 6000 photos and videos i would want access to on my device.

i don't think icloud and photos is the approach for me. i want to be able to control what i keep on my phone vs what i keep on my macbook. syncing across all devices really does not appeal to me. i don't want or need all my phone pics on my laptop. i just want to dump all of my previous phones' photos onto my new phone...

i was not expecting it to be so difficult. i thought i had figured it out days ago when i added photos using the finder. but then i couldn't delete them from my phone. the garbage can was greyed out. for a lifelong mac user this system is baffling to me.

walterkurtz

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Days or weeks?

Try photos it’s much quicker thank you think.

it was painful to watch this morning. i have 60GB of pictures i want on my phone. i don't know the size of the files that made it, but it took an hour to put 244 photos and 33 videos into the cloud out of approximately 8,000.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
it was painful to watch this morning. i have 60GB of pictures i want on my phone. i don't know the size of the files that made it, but it took an hour to put 244 photos and 33 videos into the cloud out of approximately 8,000.

Why didn’t you just plug your iPhone to your mac?

walterkurtz

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Why didn’t you just plug your iPhone to your mac?

i did that days ago. i succeeded in putting thousands of photos on to my iphone. then i couldn't delete a single one. the trash bin was greyed out.

idk what to tell you. it isn't working for me. but it isn't from a lack of effort.

Last edited: