After iOS 15, if you “tag” a shared Note it disappears from older devices!

GadgetGuru72

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
All -

I updated to iOS 15 yesterday and immediately started tagging all my notes. For me, this was the most anticipated feature of iOS 15.

Unfortunately, I quickly learned that shared notes containing tags do not play nicely with older devices.

A shared note with tags on a device running iOS 14.8 appears to be fine.

However, a shared note with tags on a device running iOS 13 or earlier does not work at all. In fact, if you have a shared note with someone with iOS 13 or earlier and add a tag to that note, the entire note simply disappears from their device.

What a disaster. A little heads up from Apple would have been nice. Now I have to remove the tags from my shared notes and share them all over again.

Has anybody else experienced this? I imagine removing the tags is the only solution, but if there is another workaround I’m all ears.

Thanks.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I have not used that feature. But for some reason, I remember reading somewhere that updated notes will not be readable by older versions of the Notes app, because the format has changed.

alphaglider

Sep 23, 2021
Visit site
What a disaster. A little heads up from Apple would have been nice. Now I have to remove the tags from my shared notes and share them all over again.

Thanks.

Actually, Apple did post a heads up here in the section "Add a tag to a note":

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212507

"When you share a tagged note with someone who's using at least the latest version of iOS 14, iPadOS 14, or macOS Big Sur, they'll see the tagged word but it won't appear as an actual tag until they add it as a tag. If you try to share a tagged note with someone who’s using an older software version, they won't see the note at all."

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner