What are your thoughts about the iCloud+ Private Relay?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you’ve installed the latest dev beta for your iPhone AND you currently pay for additional iCloud storage then you’ve probably seen the iCloud Private Relay pop up on the screen. If so, what are your thoughts about it? Do you think it’s overkill, especially if you consistently use a VPN?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'll definitely check it out when I get iOS 15. But, Apple chose to limit the feature to Safari. It does not protect any data transmitted with other browsers or apps. Does it do anything a VPN does not do? Does it do something better than a VPN?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
From what I know of it, I will be using it, especially on VPN.

I don’t trust the ISP providing the network connectivity for my VPN endpoint (I operate my own VPN server). They did some worrying actions.

Also, it sounds like a good feature for people having carriers that love injecting content on insecure websites, like Bell when you run out of your bandwidth allocation.

Vinu Jacob

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
I find it interesting that even though I pay for the Apple One Premier, it does not include the private relay option, instead I need to pay another 99c for that option.. It says private relay is included in the iCloud+ plan, and I have the 2TB plan already as part of the Apple One Premier plan.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I find it interesting that even though I pay for the Apple One Premier, it does not include the private relay option, instead I need to pay another 99c for that option.. It says private relay is included in the iCloud+ plan, and I have the 2TB plan already as part of the Apple One Premier plan.

Yeah, iCloud+ isn’t included in Apple One plans (at the moment, at least).

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

I agree!! This makes no sense at all

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Allow me to ask this question: Isn’t Private Relay on every paid plan?

When I look at my iCloud settings, it prompts me to upgrade my plan to add “Private Relay”.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Allow me to ask this question: Isn’t Private Relay on every paid plan?

When I look at my iCloud settings, it prompts me to upgrade my plan to add “Private Relay”.

Was it prompting to upgrade from iCloud to iCloud +? If you have iCloud +, you should be able to add Private Relay.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Was it prompting to upgrade from iCloud to iCloud +? If you have iCloud +, you should be able to add Private Relay.

It was prompting me to pay for iCloud+, which from what I understand is the traditional iCloud paid plan.

Overnight, it switched to enabled on all my devices.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
If you’ve installed the latest dev beta for your iPhone AND you currently pay for additional iCloud storage then you’ve probably seen the iCloud Private Relay pop up on the screen. If so, what are your thoughts about it? Do you think it’s overkill, especially if you consistently use a VPN?

Consistently using a VPN won't protect as well against tracking cookies. This is more like TOR than a VPN really; only some traffic is routed through it, and by design Apple cannot see where your traffic is going - unlike a VPN provider, which knows where your traffic is going (of course a privacy-conscious user will look for a VPN that does not log traffic). But the tracking sites will still see a consistent address (or range of addresses) that you are using with a VPN. There really is no reason why you wouldn't want a good VPN *and* iCloud Private Relay at the same time.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Long story short, it doesn’t always play well with websites where you need credentials and whatnot.
But I’m all down for using this feature.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
So, I have used it for a couple of days, and it causes devices to bypass some of the network policies that I put in place.
I'm all for it, but I wish I could disable it network-by-network basis. :(

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I keep it on in conjunction with Dashlane VPN, but I wish there was a toggle to stop the annoying pop up.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Seems fine to me. But if it slows down my connection speeds or has trouble loading websites like some VPN's do, then I'll just keep it off.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll