Save $99 on Apple's iPad Air: Now just $500 at Amazon

05-03-2021 12:20 PM
    05-03-2021 12:57 PM
    Reportedly this fixes an issue where people who had Settings / Privacy / Ad Tracking / Allow apps to ask you to allow tracking turned off at some point would not get prompted to allow tracking if they changed the setting.
    Annie_M likes this.
    05-03-2021 01:36 PM
    Thanks for the heads up Annie.
    05-03-2021 03:15 PM
    Thanks Annie! Spent the day cleaning the whole house and now I’ll take care of my iPhone, iPad and watch !!
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    05-03-2021 03:21 PM
    I did wonder if it was supposed to do that , but assumed that as I had it turned off it was supposed to stay off. The iPad version is downloading as I type.
    I do wish the progress bar was still in blue !
    05-03-2021 03:25 PM
    05-03-2021 06:31 PM
    Thanks for the heads up, Annie. I have updated all the things…
    05-03-2021 08:14 PM
    Thanks for the heads up.
    05-03-2021 08:40 PM
    Thanks for the heads up, Annie.
    05-04-2021 07:45 AM
    Downloaded iOS 14:5:1 nothing changed, turned Allow Apps to Request to Track, on, nothing changed.
    re-downloaded a mothballed app, nothing changed
    downloaded a new app, got a request to track !
    So, I still want to know; does this mean that existing apps are allowed to track even if they did not “ASK” (because I had it turned off ) ?
    So far as I can see the only apps that will not be allowed to track me will be those that I buy from now on, and that is if they take any notice of my ” permission” or not !
    I would like to know if this update/security move is all smoke and mirrors or a real thing.
    05-04-2021 08:00 AM
    So, I still want to know; does this mean that existing apps are allowed to track even if they did not “ASK” (because I had it turned off ) ?.
    No. Starting with 14.5, apps must have received explicit permission from you in order to have access to the iPhone's advertising identifier (the IDFA). Apple added APIs to allow apps to ask for access, so they will need to update before they will be allowed to ask. Until then, they will not get access to the IDFA.

And if you have Settings / Privacy / Tracking / Allow Apps to Request to Track turned off, the apps will not even be allowed to ask for access and will be denied the ability to access the IDFA.
    05-04-2021 11:17 AM
    I just got my first request...

iOS 14.5.1 has been released.-att.jpg
    05-04-2021 01:21 PM
    And if you have Settings / Privacy / Tracking / Allow Apps to Request to Track turned off, the apps will not even be allowed to ask for access and will be denied the ability to access the IDFA.
    Shabloink!
    05-04-2021 04:02 PM
    No. Starting with 14.5, apps must have received explicit permission from you in order to have access to the iPhone's advertising identifier (the IDFA). Apple added APIs to allow apps to ask for access, so they will need to update before they will be allowed to ask. Until then, they will not get access to the IDFA.

Pretty simple. If you don’t want to be tracked turn off Allow Apps to Request to Track.
    05-04-2021 04:12 PM
    Pretty simple. If you don’t want to be tracked turn off Allow Apps to Request to Track.
    It already was before iOS 14:5 so what was all the fuss about ?
    05-05-2021 03:20 AM
    It already was before iOS 14:5 so what was all the fuss about ?
    I believe that the default is to have that setting on, so you must have turned it off yourself. (As I did.)
    05-05-2021 10:34 AM
    I believe that the default is to have that setting on, so you must have turned it off yourself. (As I did.)
    I must have but don’t remember that feature arriving !
    05-05-2021 05:48 PM
    I must have but don’t remember that feature arriving !
    There are two different, but related settings for the Identifier for Advertisers (IDFA).
    1. The first is "Limit Ad Tracking" which was introduced in iOS 10.
      This setting became "Allow Apps to Request to Track" with iOS 14.5.
    2. Then there is the "App Tracking Trasparency" prompt that was added when "Allow Apps to Request to Track" is enabled (default setting).
      This is the change that has caused a lot of reactions.
    doogald and Annie_M like this.
    05-05-2021 07:28 PM
    Download went fast on my iPhone. Thanks Annie
    Annie_M likes this.
    05-06-2021 05:47 PM
    There are two different, but related settings for the Identifier for Advertisers (IDFA).
    1. The first is "Limit Ad Tracking" which was introduced in iOS 10.
      This setting became "Allow Apps to Request to Track" with iOS 14.5.
    2. Then there is the "App Tracking Trasparency" prompt that was added when "Allow Apps to Request to Track" is enabled (default setting).
      This is the change that has caused a lot of reactions.
    I have always had “limit ad tracking” on but it was mentioned as only partially effective at the time, I can only hope that the present iteration is better. As I said, an awful lot of fuss about something most people would already have switched on ! and I’ll bet all the ruckus has caused people who have previously not taken any notice to turn the thing off !
    05-07-2021 08:05 AM
    I finally got requests from both Instagram and Facebook to allow their Apps to track me. I got a ridiculous amount of pleasure in clicking NO! It's interesting to note that Facebook's reasons why tracking me would be beneficial "to me" included:

*getting "ads that are more personalized",
    *"to help keep Facebook free of charge", and
    *"to support businesses that rely on ads to reach their customers".

There is no way I will ever pay for Facebook.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    05-07-2021 08:24 AM
    I finally got requests from both Instagram and Facebook to allow their Apps to track me. I got a ridiculous amount of pleasure in clicking NO! It's interesting to note that Facebook's reasons why tracking me would be beneficial "to me" included:

*getting "ads that are more personalized",
    *"to help keep Facebook free of charge", and
    *"to support businesses that rely on ads to reach their customers".

There is no way I will ever pay for Facebook.
    Even more gratifying is to press the “X” next to the Facebook icon. Easier said than done.
    Annie_M likes this.
    05-07-2021 11:29 AM
    I don't use, and never have used Facebook or Instagram, so for me their ability to track is a non issue. Personally I never had the need, or saw the need, to use either of these social media apps. There are millions of others that do so they have a lot of people to track.

Bob
    05-10-2021 01:22 PM
    It's not just Facebook (and their apps like Instagram and WhatsApp) that tracks. In fact, I never got tracking requests from either app before I turned off the ability to track in settings. I did get a request from the ESPN app though.
    05-10-2021 04:02 PM
39 12