iOS 14.5.1 has been released.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
There are two different, but related settings for the Identifier for Advertisers (IDFA).
  1. The first is "Limit Ad Tracking" which was introduced in iOS 10.
    This setting became "Allow Apps to Request to Track" with iOS 14.5.
  2. Then there is the "App Tracking Trasparency" prompt that was added when "Allow Apps to Request to Track" is enabled (default setting).
    This is the change that has caused a lot of reactions.

I have always had “limit ad tracking” on but it was mentioned as only partially effective at the time, I can only hope that the present iteration is better. As I said, an awful lot of fuss about something most people would already have switched on ! and I’ll bet all the ruckus has caused people who have previously not taken any notice to turn the thing off !

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I finally got requests from both Instagram and Facebook to allow their Apps to track me. I got a ridiculous amount of pleasure in clicking NO! It's interesting to note that Facebook's reasons why tracking me would be beneficial "to me" included:

*getting "ads that are more personalized",
*"to help keep Facebook free of charge", and
*"to support businesses that rely on ads to reach their customers".

There is no way I will ever pay for Facebook.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I finally got requests from both Instagram and Facebook to allow their Apps to track me. I got a ridiculous amount of pleasure in clicking NO! It's interesting to note that Facebook's reasons why tracking me would be beneficial "to me" included:

*getting "ads that are more personalized",
*"to help keep Facebook free of charge", and
*"to support businesses that rely on ads to reach their customers".

There is no way I will ever pay for Facebook.

Even more gratifying is to press the “X” next to the Facebook icon. Easier said than done.

Bob80220

Apr 18, 2020
Visit site
I don't use, and never have used Facebook or Instagram, so for me their ability to track is a non issue. Personally I never had the need, or saw the need, to use either of these social media apps. There are millions of others that do so they have a lot of people to track.

Bob

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
It's not just Facebook (and their apps like Instagram and WhatsApp) that tracks. In fact, I never got tracking requests from either app before I turned off the ability to track in settings. I did get a request from the ESPN app though.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
No I don’t… I’m from the Facebook generation

This is pretty funny to me, because my children (both adults, and have been for a while) never use Facebook anymore. (One occasionally posts stories on Instagram). I just lurk every few days to see what's going on, but almost everything I see posted is from people who have children who are adults, or almost are. After not starting this way, Facebook I think has become a social network of people mostly born before 1980.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
This is pretty funny to me, because my children (both adults, and have been for a while) never use Facebook anymore. (One occasionally posts stories on Instagram). I just lurk every few days to see what's going on, but almost everything I see posted is from people who have children who are adults, or almost are. After not starting this way, Facebook I think has become a social network of people mostly born before 1980.

That's very true. I think people in younger generations would have used Facebook a lot more if their parents and parent's friends had stayed off Facebook. I know this is true with my nephews. They have Facebook accounts but rarely post anything. Instead, they use Instagram, Snapchat, and other social media sites. Interestingly enough, they have asked me to follow them on Snapchat, but they won't as their Mom (my sister)!

She is always surprised by this, but has no real interest in Snapchat, and.. truth be told, she probably couldn't figure it out... lord knows, I have enough issues figuring it out! :D

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That's very true. I think people in younger generations would have used Facebook a lot more if their parents and parent's friends had stayed off Facebook. I know this is true with my nephews. They have Facebook accounts but rarely post anything. Instead, they use Instagram, Snapchat, and other social media sites. Interestingly enough, they have asked me to follow them on Snapchat, but they won't as their Mom (my sister)!

She is always surprised by this, but has no real interest in Snapchat, and.. truth be told, she probably couldn't figure it out... lord knows, I have enough issues figuring it out! :D

My daughter is a teacher. She posts a lot of conversations with her own kids, my grandkids, on Facebook. Most is totally hilarious. Stuff I would miss without Facebook.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Reading through this, I’m surprised anyone here just doesn’t have the tracking button set to completely off in their settings instead of waiting for a pop up. Granted, I don’t use BoomerBook at all but it sure works for everything else in not even giving them the chance to request.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Reading through this, I’m surprised anyone here just doesn’t have the tracking button set to completely off in their settings instead of waiting for a pop up. Granted, I don’t use BoomerBook at all but it sure works for everything else in not even giving them the chance to request.

I do have the setting turned off. I have had it off for close to 4 years.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I had the setting turned off as well. But, curiosity got to me, and I toggled it on to see how the notifications worked. :rolleyes:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR