Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
a3246dc4a0c654fc1229a9a7788f6ca7.jpg

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Reportedly this fixes an issue where people who had Settings / Privacy / Ad Tracking / Allow apps to ask you to allow tracking turned off at some point would not get prompted to allow tracking if they changed the setting.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I did wonder if it was supposed to do that , but assumed that as I had it turned off it was supposed to stay off. The iPad version is downloading as I type.
I do wish the progress bar was still in blue !

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Downloaded iOS 14:5:1 nothing changed, turned Allow Apps to Request to Track, on, nothing changed.
re-downloaded a mothballed app, nothing changed
downloaded a new app, got a request to track !
So, I still want to know; does this mean that existing apps are allowed to track even if they did not “ASK” (because I had it turned off ) ?
So far as I can see the only apps that will not be allowed to track me will be those that I buy from now on, and that is if they take any notice of my ” permission” or not !
I would like to know if this update/security move is all smoke and mirrors or a real thing.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So, I still want to know; does this mean that existing apps are allowed to track even if they did not “ASK” (because I had it turned off ) ?.

No. Starting with 14.5, apps must have received explicit permission from you in order to have access to the iPhone's advertising identifier (the IDFA). Apple added APIs to allow apps to ask for access, so they will need to update before they will be allowed to ask. Until then, they will not get access to the IDFA.

And if you have Settings / Privacy / Tracking / Allow Apps to Request to Track turned off, the apps will not even be allowed to ask for access and will be denied the ability to access the IDFA.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
No. Starting with 14.5, apps must have received explicit permission from you in order to have access to the iPhone's advertising identifier (the IDFA). Apple added APIs to allow apps to ask for access, so they will need to update before they will be allowed to ask. Until then, they will not get access to the IDFA.

And if you have Settings / Privacy / Tracking / Allow Apps to Request to Track turned off, the apps will not even be allowed to ask for access and will be denied the ability to access the IDFA.

Pretty simple. If you don’t want to be tracked turn off Allow Apps to Request to Track.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I must have but don’t remember that feature arriving !

There are two different, but related settings for the Identifier for Advertisers (IDFA).
  1. The first is "Limit Ad Tracking" which was introduced in iOS 10.
    This setting became "Allow Apps to Request to Track" with iOS 14.5.
  2. Then there is the "App Tracking Trasparency" prompt that was added when "Allow Apps to Request to Track" is enabled (default setting).
    This is the change that has caused a lot of reactions.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR