Is there a difference in setting up a new device via an iCloud and a secure local backup?

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
What’s the difference now between setting up a new device with secure local backup vs iCloud restore? I know there were things that didn’t used to restore like passwords and health data etc. getting some new devices and debating whether to continue using my normal secure local method or just do an iCloud restore this time.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Restore from iCloud or secure local backup differences?

This page tells the differences between the two backups (at least what is NOT backed up by each method): https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204136

For a local/iTunes backup, if it is not encrypted, there is a lot more that isn't backed up (WiFi access points, Health data, etc.)

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

This page tells the differences between the two backups (at least what is NOT backed up by each method): https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204136

For a local/iTunes backup, if it is not encrypted, there is a lot more that isn't backed up (WiFi access points, Health data, etc.)

Thanks. I did some more looking at it looks like the device to device is essentially the same as secure backup iTunes restore but it has to redownload apps. So I just did that seems to be good so far

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Thanks. I did some more looking at it looks like the device to device is essentially the same as secure backup iTunes restore but it has to redownload apps.

Even an encrypted iTunes backup no longer saves apps. Apps are downloaded after a restore no matter which restore method that you use.

gjh1978

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
When I purchased iPhone 12 Pro and upgraded from 11 Pro, I used iCloud restore. I was pleasantly surprised to see all my settings that would have been backed up using a secured backup in iTunes were still there. The only thing I had to establish again was Face ID & sign into those apps with my password to enable Face ID again...all in all, I'm sold using iCloud now and not trying to back up multiple devices on portable hard drives with remapping of iTunes save files.

Last edited:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
For the first time purchasing iPhone 12 Pro and upgrading from 11 Pro, I used iCloud restore. I was pleasantly surprised to see all my settings that would have been backed up using a secured backup in iTunes were still there. The only think I had to establish again was Face ID & sign into those apps with my password to enable Face ID again...all in all, I'm sold using iCloud now and not trying to back up multiple devices on portable hard drives with remapping of iTunes save files.

I had the exact same experience!

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
The other restore option that I like is the phone to phone transfer that was introduced around the end of iOS 12

The restore with that method is equivalent to an iTunes encrypted backup.

Yep I tried that on my new iPad from the old one and it seemed to work very well. Will probably try it in the fall when it's new iPhone time to replace my 11 Pro Max. It did seem like I had to actually log into more stuff than I remember, but I think everything was there. Also I finally got a password manager about a year ago so of course that just in general make that side of it easier.

My main concern now would be the easiest method that ensures local photos etc type stuff gets moved over which I know for sure iTunes local secure backup will do, but it looks like the direct device to device xfer does the same thing. Of course, my phone has a LOT more photos etc. on it than my iPad. I know I can get high res photos downloaded from iCloud but I only recently started using that over Google Photos so I'm not 100% clear on how to make sure that happened when I go to edit something vs if it's just on the device already.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
A restore coming from An iTunes encrypted backup requires less logging back in to certain apps. An iCloud restore isn’t as kind.

I set up my new iPhone 12 Pro Max using the new method of transfer from old phone to new. Didn't have to log back in to any of my 244 apps. I don't recall that being an issue with past iCloud set ups either.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711