Redesigned now playing widget

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I read today that the now playing widget in control center has been redesigned in iOS 14.2 for Apple Music. Tap it and it lists recently played albums. There’s also supposed to be a redesigned interface for airplay. When I tap the widget I just see the current song that’s playing.

Anyone seeing a new design?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When I tap on the Now Playing widget from within the Control Center in iOS running v14.2, this is what I see. The items in the screenshot are indeed from Albums/Playlists I recently played - as in today and yesterday.

D1F3C3E5-753C-4CCF-B569-44B78ACFF7A3.jpeg

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It’s the same for me as @Just_Me_D
If only the suggested playlists were the ones I need at that moment, would be awesome. They’re not. Therefore I’m not using it.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Very strange. This is what I see.
78fc11edc0ad26e128e612c855411885.png

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: I was able to replicate the issue by playing a song and then selecting the Now Playing widget. NOTE: When I played a song, it did display the album artwork of the song I was playing. Even after stopping the song from playing, the artwork remained and was visible via the Now Playing widget. With that in mind, when I completely close out the Music app and then select the Now Playing from within the Control Center, I get the recently played information listed in my previous post.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: I was able to replicate the issue by playing a song and then selecting the Now Playing widget. NOTE: When I played a song, it did display the album artwork of the song I was playing. Even after stopping the song from playing, the artwork remained and was visible via the Now Playing widget. With that in mind, when I completely close out the Music app and then select the Now Playing from within the Control Center, I get the recently played information listed in my previous post.

There’s something wrong with the now playing widget or the app itself on my phone. When I play a song the album artwork of the song playing is displayed. When I stop the song the artwork remains visible on the widget. But when I completely close out the app and tap on the widget from the control center I get not playing and no album artwork from recently played songs. I might have to restore the device or setup as new.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There’s something wrong with the now playing widget or the app itself on my phone. When I play a song the album artwork of the song playing is displayed. When I stop the song the artwork remains visible on the widget. But when I completely close out the app and tap on the widget from the control center I get not playing and no album artwork from recently played songs. I might have to restore the device or setup as new.

Agreed....:)

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
In an effort to fix whatever is going on with the playing now widget/Apple Music on my XR I spent a few hours setting it up as a new device. The install went fine.

Then after my device was restored I listened to five or six songs on Apple Music. Everything was fine, album artwork was visible. Then I closed the Apple Music app out, then tapped on the now playing widget and hallelujah the recently played albums were showing. At this point, I’m feeling pretty good.

Then maybe an hour I listened again to a few songs, tapped on the now playing widget to see the recently played songs art work, and nothing was showing again.

I’m really confused now for sure.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
In an effort to fix whatever is going on with the playing now widget/Apple Music on my XR I spent a few hours setting it up as a new device. The install went fine.

Then after my device was restored I listened to five or six songs on Apple Music. Everything was fine, album artwork was visible. Then I closed the Apple Music app out, then tapped on the now playing widget and hallelujah the recently played albums were showing. At this point, I’m feeling pretty good.

Then maybe an hour I listened again to a few songs, tapped on the now playing widget to see the recently played songs art work, and nothing was showing again.

I’m really confused now for sure.

Not really sure why your XR is having issues Pr1nce. I have noticed that the blank album cover screen happens when I'm listening to music and stop the music from another music streaming service besides Apple and it also doesn't provide my recently played songs that wasn't from my Apple Music...

c737d76a863d9e98045e4f191da6684b.jpg

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Not really sure why your XR is having issues Pr1nce. I have noticed that the blank album cover screen happens when I'm listening to music and stop the music from another music streaming service besides Apple and it also doesn't provide my recently played songs that wasn't from my Apple Music...

c737d76a863d9e98045e4f191da6684b.jpg

I don’t know why it’s having issues either. Maybe the next update will fix it.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

I think it’s an issue with the older devices. When I perform these steps on my XS I get the same result you have Pr1nce, but when I do it from my 11 Pro I get a recently played song & artwork.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I think it’s an issue with the older devices. When I perform these steps on my XS I get the same result you have Pr1nce, but when I do it from my 11 Pro I get a recently played song & artwork.

I thought about that too, Nikki. But I know someone who has a 6S and is not having the issue.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I actually checked this on my X. This is what I get after playing my daily playlist, then closing out  music from the background completely. It does also show “not playing” on the widget before tap/hold for these to pop up.
cb51e3dbe33245dcc105b21d95c596dd.jpg

f9a0fad40678b06aeceb6dc2f3572611.jpg

This is what I get while I have something playing
300780e25cfa50242af70bd8e0eb9cc9.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I actually checked this on my X. This is what I get after playing my daily playlist, then closing out  music from the background completely. It does also show “not playing” on the widget before tap/hold for these to pop up.
cb51e3dbe33245dcc105b21d95c596dd.jpg

f9a0fad40678b06aeceb6dc2f3572611.jpg

This is what I get while I have something playing
300780e25cfa50242af70bd8e0eb9cc9.jpg

Same here, except only one row on my 6s Plus. And it scrolls left and right. But mine seems to show the last few songs I added to my playlist, rather than last few played.

kidkamel

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Working fine on my 8+ but I have a question. Is there a way to link the Now Playing to a different player? I rarely use the stock player and prefer Amazon Music instead.