I don't want to get locked into the iOS ecosystem necessarily

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Why do I think you don’t understand iCloud Photos?
Apple offers you the option to Optimize iPhone Storage.
This will allow you to store the photos in full resolution in the cloud and put compressed photos as placeholders on your iPhone, allowing you to have more free storage on your iPhone.

As to your question, disabling iCloud Photos will not delete photos. Neither from the cloud nor the iPhone.

Thanks, that is what I was hoping.

I understand the option to optimize storage, but even compressed/smaller photos take up more room than not having them on your phone at all, right? If they were not on your phone at all, only viewable using data to look into the cloud, that would be more appealing to me. I'm sure it works great for most people, but I choose to do it differently with OneDrive. I just keep the pictures I want most on the phone at all times, and have the rest available on OneDrive for when I need them. Different strokes for different folks.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, that is what I was hoping.

I understand the option to optimize storage, but even compressed/smaller photos take up more room than not having them on your phone at all, right? If they were not on your phone at all, only viewable using data to look into the cloud, that would be more appealing to me. I'm sure it works great for most people, but I choose to do it differently with OneDrive. I just keep the pictures I want most on the phone at all times, and have the rest available on OneDrive for when I need them. Different strokes for different folks.

Then you must clear the OneDrive cache regularly on your iPhone, after all, every time you view a photo in the OneDrive app, it gets stored in the cache.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Then you must clear the OneDrive cache regularly on your iPhone, after all, every time you view a photo in the OneDrive app, it gets stored in the cache.

I do, and then it is gone from my memory. Please don't take this as an attack on how you use your phone or how iCloud works. The beauty of having competition is you don't all have to do things the same way. You can use iCloud, Google Photos, OneDrive, etc. Each has pros and cons and that is for everyone to decide for themselves which will work best for you.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I do, and then it is gone from my memory. Please don't take this as an attack on how you use your phone or how iCloud works. The beauty of having competition is you don't all have to do things the same way. You can use iCloud, Google Photos, OneDrive, etc. Each has pros and cons and that is for everyone to decide for themselves which will work best for you.

No sir, I don’t see it as an attack. As long as the person before me and I have all the facts straight and there is no misunderstanding, other people will learn from it. Which is my ultimate goal on this forum.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
My photos get backed up to Microsoft OneDrive as I get a terabyte of space. I don't use icloud photos as it doesn't play well with a PC. It's not bad, it's just that for me, OneDrive is superior in that regard.

How much do you pay for 365? I have Amazon photos Dropbox and Google. I like have backups in case something happens.

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Coming from a long time Android user, I pre-ordered an iPhone 12 pro.

Many of the issues that I have seen with people with iPhones is it the pictures going to the iCloud and basically it's a wall garden It seemed like.

There's a way to direct my pictures,etc, to go into Google photos?

I'm totally new at this so I'm asking questions just to sort of get a handle on it when I get the phone.
Joe

I use all Google services on my iPhone. Google Maps, Googe Photos, Gmail, Drive etc. It works best for me as I am always using both Android and IOS.

joemontana57

Oct 20, 2020
Visit site
I use all Google services on my iPhone. Google Maps, Googe Photos, Gmail, Drive etc. It works best for me as I am always using both Android and IOS.

That is what I would like to do. I have been watching videos about iOS 14 in preparation for my first iPhone.

The one I'm watching just now said that she can't set Google maps as default. and all the videos that I've seen where they talk about it, the only two that you can set is default according to them is your web browser and your email client.

How are you able to use Google maps etc?

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Whatever version you back up. The high quality is what they save unless you want original but you only get like 5GB or so.

Thank you for the answer. Personally I’m sticking with iCloud. I prefer apple services over google.

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
That is what I would like to do. I have been watching videos about iOS 14 in preparation for my first iPhone.
While using Chrome, all directions default to Google maps. Other than that, I have no issues using Google Maps. The only way that I can use Apple Maps, I have to launch it straight from the App. I am pretty sure there are other scenarios, that might prove to be otherwise.
The one I'm watching just now said that she can't set Google maps as default. and all the videos that I've seen where they talk about it, the only two that you can set is default according to them is your web browser and your email client.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I am a big Amazon user, iCloud and Prime photos. What I take on my phone, automatically gets saved on both platforms, works like a charm.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

I’m not the quoted person, however, I use Google Maps all the time. Any map link will take you to Apple Maps (if you have it installed), though I just search the location in the Google Maps app.

joemontana57

Oct 20, 2020
Visit site
Thank you. On my Android phone, if I Tell Google Assistant to navigate to so-and-so, it will use Google maps.
Will it work the same way on an iPhone, or will it default to Apple maps?
I’m not the quoted person, however, I use Google Maps all the time. Any map link will take you to Apple Maps (if you have it installed), though I just search the location in the Google Maps app.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. On my Android phone, if I Tell Google Assistant to navigate to so-and-so, it will use Google maps.
Will it work the same way on an iPhone, or will it default to Apple maps?

Unfortunately it will default to Apple Maps. iOS 14 has only just brought us the ability to change default email apps and browser apps. I still need to check into that.

joemontana57

Oct 20, 2020
Visit site
I had a couple thoughts. The first one is perhaps Apple maps isn't as bad as heard it used to be. Mind you though I've never used it, it's just what I've heard.
The second thought is I wonder if I could say Siri use Google maps to navigate to blah blah blah.
Joe
Unfortunately it will default to Apple Maps. iOS 14 has only just brought us the ability to change default email apps and browser apps. I still need to check into that.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I had a couple thoughts. The first one is perhaps Apple maps isn't as bad as heard it used to be. Mind you though I've never used it, it's just what I've heard.
The second thought is I wonder if I could say Siri use Google maps to navigate to blah blah blah.
Joe

Yes Apple Maps has come quite a long way. I still prefer Google Maps myself, Apple Maps is still missing a police station that has been in operation for 4 years or more.

I did just check and Siri can indeed run directions through Google Maps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2