I don't want to get locked into the iOS ecosystem necessarily

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
You’ve made it abundantly clear you don’t know what you’re talking about. I on the other hand use both iCloud Photos and Google Photos. Original Quality uploads is one a one time global setting.

896b2f35e70a7cc01eb4f98d21619fd0.jpg

Original storage takes up your Google Drive storage. Google gives you 15GB free with a Google Account as opposed to Apple’s 5GB free. Yes I have more, they gave me 1TB because I have Google Fiber internet. Once you reach your storage limit you can purchase more storage from Google. Next tier is 100GB for $1.99 per month. After 5GB’s Apple’s next option is 50GB for $0.99 per month.

I am well aware you are super Apple fanboy and that’s fine. However, I won’t let you spread disinformation because of it. So before you decide to respond again, please do better research because as I said, I use both services. I have immediate and first hand knowledge on the matter.

Wasn’t the one claiming iCloud compressed photos .

This was from the google forums and I stand by what I posted, google photos is far from straightforward regarding compression.
0940b43e016fe2675f5fe75a8dee4fcd.jpg

No need to become emotional.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

This was from the google forums and I stand by what I posted, google photos is far from straightforward regarding compression.

It's ok to be wrong. My photos come directly from Google Photos.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
According to your last post that would be disinformation.
Unlimited free compressed storage is not limited original storage. It's a check box. As is keeping original photos local on iphone. Disinformation is saying Google doesn't allow original for free or that you can't download original, or that you can't download more than one photo at a time. Choosing an upload size is straightforward. Buying storage (just like Apple) is straightforward. Saying Google Photos is more more complicated or not free is incorrect. Your screenshot you love so much is specific to the free unlimited storage option, not the original storage that uses your Google Drive storage. When you share the correct information there is no issue.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

You’re missing the point about googles photo sync options.
There is two: first is free unlimited and the second is another one.
Free unlimited is the one you’re talking about and the other one is what @metllicamilitia is talking about.
And please refrain from saying someone is getting emotional or not. Saying something like that is pure passive aggressive harassment.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
You’re missing the point about googles photo sync options.
There is two: first is free unlimited and the second is another one.
Free unlimited is the one you’re talking about and the other one is what @metllicamilitia is talking about.

That makes sense.

And please refrain from saying someone is getting emotional or not. Saying something like that is pure passive aggressive harassment.

An observation and nothing more, there was no need for personal attacks or claiming disinformation.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
there was no need for personal attacks or claiming disinformation.

It’s much easier to move your photos out of iCloud than it is to move your photos out of google photos.

It depends on the price plan the user chooses.

Another user was complaining that the only way they were able to export original resolution photos from google photos was to do it one by one, don’t know if that has changed.

iCloud doesn’t compress the photo, you can select the photos to be compressed on the iPhone but not in iCloud, hence it being pretty seamless.

As far as I know you have to select the original resolution when uploading to google photos which would require to pay for storage depending on the size of the library. Irregardless google photos isn’t seamless or straightforward when it comes to googles server side compression.

1bc02a1645c82ee6af9772d9a06aa569.jpg

The only thing not incorrect in these statements about original quality on Google Photos is that you must choose to upload original, although it is a one time selection.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Unlimited free compressed storage is not limited original storage. It's a check box. As is keeping original photos local on iphone. Disinformation is saying Google doesn't allow original for free or that you can't download original, or that you can't download more than one photo at a time. Choosing an upload size is straightforward. Buying storage (just like Apple) is straightforward. Saying Google Photos is more more complicated or not free is incorrect. Your screenshot you love so much is specific to the free unlimited storage option, not the original storage that uses your Google Drive storage. When you share the correct information there is no issue.

I never said google didn’t allow original for free, just that it was dépendant on the size of the users library.

iCloud doesn’t compress the photo, you can select the photos to be compressed on the iPhone but not in iCloud, hence it being pretty seamless.

As far as I know you have to select the original resolution when uploading to google photos which would require to pay for storage depending on the size of the library. Irregardless google photos isn’t seamless or straightforward when it comes to googles server side compression.

1bc02a1645c82ee6af9772d9a06aa569.jpg

Another user in another thread had a hard time exporting their google photos library, that users solution was to download it one at a time.

The screenshot I posted twice was from the google forums where some users had difficulty with google photos compressing photos that weren’t suppose to be compressed, as pointed out it on the screenshot they were using the free unlimited tier. You seem to take that personally.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Ok, I just went to my Google Photos and selected a date:
Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 10.03.08 AM.jpg

See the gray check mark beside the date? Select the check box and BOOM all the photos are selected for that date:
Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 10.03.18 AM.png

Then I went up to the top right and selected download. The photos downloaded in ZIP format:
Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 10.03.40 AM.png

Unzipped the files and they were the original sized photos taken from my iPhone last year.

And I'm not paying for Google storage. Whatever the free storage size they offer is what I'm using.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Coming from a long time Android user, I pre-ordered an iPhone 12 pro.

Many of the issues that I have seen with people with iPhones is it the pictures going to the iCloud and basically it's a wall garden It seemed like.

There's a way to direct my pictures,etc, to go into Google photos?

I'm totally new at this so I'm asking questions just to sort of get a handle on it when I get the phone.
Joe

Joe, use the Google Photos app. Once they are uploaded to GP you can delete from Photos on your device.

"Ease of use" is in the eye of the person using said service.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I don’t like Google, apart from their search engine and that’s a necessary evil.

I hope someday Google just goes back to being a search engine and abandons all their other projects and services.

joemontana57

Oct 20, 2020
Visit site
Thank you. It's amazing how one simple question can cause the post to totally detail. (Not you though!)
Joe, use the Google Photos app. Once they are uploaded to GP you can delete from Photos on your device.

"Ease of use" is in the eye of the person using said service.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I don’t like Google, apart from their search engine and that’s a necessary evil.

I hope someday Google just goes back to being a search engine and abandons all their other projects and services.

Spoken like a true fanboy. But I wouldn't treat my brother any other way. :)

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't feel the need to use OneDrive for my photos if I could figure out how to keep pictures on iCloud but not have to have them all on my phone too. Last I checked that couldn't be done, but that was years ago.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't feel the need to use OneDrive for my photos if I could figure out how to keep pictures on iCloud but not have to have them all on my phone too. Last I checked that couldn't be done, but that was years ago.

It’s still like that.
iCloud Photos is a mirroring service. It’s to make sure all your photos are on your other devices and vice versa.
Added benefit is that it’s all stored in the cloud. And if you happen to lose or damage a device, those photos will sync back to a new device if you replace it.
It is in no way a service that allows you to make a backup and restore from that backup if you happen to lose one or two photos.
There are other ways to achieve that, just not with iCloud Photos.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
It’s still like that.
iCloud Photos is a mirroring service. It’s to make sure all your photos are on your other devices and vice versa.
Added benefit is that it’s all stored in the cloud. And if you happen to lose or damage a device, those photos will sync back to a new device if you replace it.
It is in no way a service that allows you to make a backup and restore from that backup if you happen to lose one or two photos.
There are other ways to achieve that, just not with iCloud Photos.

And an added bonus for Apple is they get to make sure you keep buying bigger and bigger phones to fit all the pictures you have stored over the years of using their service.

Not to distract from the original topic, but if you restore from icloud on a new device and then turn off the sync, does this delete the pictures from that new device, or just prevent syncing of new photos?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
And an added bonus for Apple is they get to make sure you keep buying bigger and bigger phones to fit all the pictures you have stored over the years of using their service.

Not to distract from the original topic, but if you restore from icloud on a new device and then turn off the sync, does this delete the pictures from that new device, or just prevent syncing of new photos?

Why do I think you don’t understand iCloud Photos?
Apple offers you the option to Optimize iPhone Storage.
This will allow you to store the photos in full resolution in the cloud and put compressed photos as placeholders on your iPhone, allowing you to have more free storage on your iPhone.

As to your question, disabling iCloud Photos will not delete photos. Neither from the cloud nor the iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro