App Library, nice but . . .

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The same way photos are shown in two places? May be, but I can't confirm that, as I can't find anything on it from Apple.

If you open an app from a home screen and from the app library and the data is not the same, then there would be two store instances of the app. There are not.

Another test: open an app from a home screen. Go home. Open the same app from the app library. Now go to the home switcher. Is there only one listing for that app in the app switcher, or two? If the app was installed twice, there would be two.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
That lack of being able to move icons to pertinent groups is why I absolutely hate the App Library. I way too many folders with a single icon in it where most of these sing icons would easily fit in other categories that existed.

Since their folders are a mess and with no way to change them, just GET RID of them and when you get to the page, just immediately show the full list of apps that you see when you pull down in the library. That would be a lot more useful than the mess of folders they show now.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
That lack of being able to move icons to pertinent groups is why I absolutely hate the App Library. I way too many folders with a single icon in it where most of these sing icons would easily fit in other categories that existed.

Since their folders are a mess and with no way to change them, just GET RID of them and when you get to the page, just immediately show the full list of apps that you see when you pull down in the library. That would be a lot more useful than the mess of folders they show now.
How dare you to propose that. That would be exactly the way Android has been doing it since years.

en092689

Sep 22, 2020
Visit site
Not sure If anyone knows but you can just swipe down on the app library for an alphabetical list of your apps. That's if you are worried about having to find them.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
To FFR, a new concept has to be of some merit before it is of use, I can see no merit in the App Library.

You just proved my point .

I’m going to start a new thread, I don’t want to hijack someone’s else’s thread to discuss the concept and merits of the App Library.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I don't mind the app library, I like that I can remove everything from the main pages that I don't want there and still have it on my phone. I wish I could make it default to the alphabetical list when you swipe over instead of having to swipe over then down to get that list.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Not sure If anyone knows but you can just swipe down on the app library for an alphabetical list of your apps. That's if you are worried about having to find them.

A belated "hello and welcome to iMore". It's great to have you here, and thanks for the tip about swiping down! That is very helpful! :D

fairmarketvalue

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Years ago, I started putting like apps in folders that made sense to me, so the App Library adds zero value for me. And, since I still haven't seen the answer to this question, I'll pose it to the iMore best and brightest: can the App Library be deleted in its entirety without affecting the apps themselves, and if so, how?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I can't speak for everyone, however my apps in the Apple App Library are in the right category folders. It's where I would put them. Not sure what all the fuss is about.
8824ffc78735235595c058f9fb8c01fd.jpg

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Years ago, I started putting like apps in folders that made sense to me, so the App Library adds zero value for me. And, since I still haven't seen the answer to this question, I'll pose it to the iMore best and brightest: can the App Library be deleted in its entirety without affecting the apps themselves, and if so, how?

You can’t delete nor disable the App Library.
It is there and that’s it.
You can decide not to swipe to the right a few times to get to the App Library, as far as disabling goes.
Hope this answer helps.

fairmarketvalue

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Muchas gracias for the prompt reply. I sort of expected that would be the answer, but it helps me from unnecessary tail chasing. I hope Apple gets the message that users like flexibility (not necessarily at the level of Android), and gives one the opportunity to gracefully say "no thanks" to stuff like the app library if it's not suitable for a particular person.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak for everyone, however my apps in the Apple App Library are in the right category folders. It's where I would put them. Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Agreed!!! I’m also one of those people that feel if you don’t like something, just don’t use it. I hate Siri & shortcuts so I don’t use them....no big deal! Apple isn’t making anyone use the App Library. Folders can still be created and placed on the home screen, if people feel that’s what they like best.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Agreed!!! I’m also one of those people that feel if you don’t like something, just don’t use it. I hate Siri & shortcuts so I don’t use them....no big deal! Apple isn’t making anyone use the App Library. Folders can still be created and placed on the home screen, if people feel that’s what they like best.

Exactly my thoughts as well. I also don't use shortcuts but I do like Siri. LOL

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Like @nikkisharif, I cannot STAND Siri, and refuse to use her. Actually, I cannot stand using any voice type app 'thingy'.

In other news, I was on Reddit (I know, I know), and someone told me about routinehub.co, and to be honest, there are quite a few decent 'Shortcuts'.
Currently in the process of testing a few that I might actually use...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

The folders used for many of my apps in the app library are not the same as I have on my homescreen. That makes it confusing. You don't use folders much, so it won't matter to you.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The folders used for many of my apps in the app library are not the same as I have on my homescreen. That makes it confusing. You don't use folders much, so it won't matter to you.

Well yes of course because when you make your own folders you name them yourself and put whatever you want in them. The Apple App Library is based on category and not what the individual iPhone owner wants to have in certain folders.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Well, since this is the first version of the App Library, I'm sure that over time, it will be tweaked and updated. Keeping that in mind, submitting feedback to Apple seems like a good idea.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Like @nikkisharif, I cannot STAND Siri, and refuse to use her. Actually, I cannot stand using any voice type app 'thingy'.

In other news, I was on Reddit (I know, I know), and someone told me about routinehub.co, and to be honest, there are quite a few decent 'Shortcuts'.
Currently in the process of testing a few that I might actually use...

Yes shortcuts gained a lot more features in iOS 14

As for Siri I’m a heavy user and have found that it learns from me and with the new listen feature it’s developing nicely
adec86e41ce5b0774138ff817c8555ba.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices