Time for more discounts! Shop all the best Cyber Monday deals NOW

Until I can rename and reorganise the folders, both in content and folder priority, it’s a large, unhelpful mess. Honestly I’d far prefer being able to toggle it off completely. In its current format, it’s not even remotely useful for me. I already have all my apps in the folders I want and I know where they are. I can’t see a reason for suddenly switching to an App Library. I think Apple half-assed an Android feature that Google did well.

Honestly the ‘Other’ folder just seems to be an app graveyard of random apps.

The Games folder does not in fact have all my game related apps in it, for some unfathomable reason.

I have a ‘Productivity and Finance’ folder with about fifty apps in it, many of which are neither ‘Productivity’ or ‘Finance’ related in my view.

All my Authenticator apps are split between three different folders.

All my Acting-related apps are split across four folders

It’s just terribly optimised and far more frustrating having to find the app, or search for it, than just opening a folder of my choosing and selecting the app I need.

Good try Apple. 4/10. Could do better. See me after class.
    You do realize that Apple is not the one organizing those apps in the Library?
    It’s the category that the Devs selected for their apps.

You can double check that by searching each app and see what category it’s listed in.

Nice try with your criticism but hopefully better luck next time.
    Last edited by Tartarus; 09-20-2020 at 05:04 AM.
    FFR, kimmaree and ladyc0524 like this.
    09-20-2020 03:02 AM
    Do you realize that Apple is not the one organizing those apps in the Library?
    It’s the category that the Devs selected for their apps.

You can double check that by searching each app and see what category it’s listed in.

Nice try with your criticism but hopefully better luck next time.
    I feel like we’re fighting a lot here. It’s not my intention to rub you up the wrong way as I honestly value your opinions, but your passive aggression is noted and I shall just stfu in future I think.

Ok, so maybe Apple aren’t the ones who decide which category apps are under but I don’t think that invalidates all of my criticism though.

Being able to edit the folders would be a welcome addition and yes, I do feel the App Library isn’t implemented well. This is merely my opinion. Your mileage clearly does vary.
    Spencerdl and firstborn80 like this.
    09-20-2020 04:03 AM
    I feel like we’re fighting a lot here. It’s not my intention to rub you up the wrong way as I honestly value your opinions, but your passive aggression is noted and I shall just stfu in future I think.

Ok, so maybe Apple aren’t the ones who decide which category apps are under but I don’t think that invalidates all of my criticism though.

Being able to edit the folders would be a welcome addition and yes, I do feel the App Library isn’t implemented well. This is merely my opinion. Your mileage clearly does vary.
    You may not be conscious about the way you’re forming your posts, but they feel like a stab and a chop rather than criticism.

In that regard is my reply quite mild actually.

And yes, I do agree that Apple should and could have given us the option to organize it ourselves.
    09-20-2020 05:03 AM
    You may not be conscious about the way you’re forming your posts, but they feel like a stab and a chop rather than criticism.

In that regard is my reply quite mild actually.

And yes, I do agree that Apple should and could have given us the option to organize it ourselves.
    I apologize if my posts come across that way; it wasn’t intended. And yes you could have been a lot worse in your response, and I’m glad you weren’t because it would have been a lot harder for me to keep my composure too.

I shall try to be more constructive if I post again.
    09-20-2020 05:11 AM
    I apologize if my posts come across that way; it wasn’t intended. And yes you could have been a lot worse in your response, and I’m glad you weren’t because it would have been a lot harder for me to keep my composure too.

I shall try to be more constructive if I post again.
    Please remember that I react on posts and not on the poster behind it.
    Most of the time I’m not even aware who I am replying to. So it’s not personal.

You have a good Sunday now.
    Highrisedrifter and FFR like this.
    09-20-2020 05:13 AM
    Ok so here’s my take on the App Library, I quite like the idea, however as others have stated, it would be advantageous to be able to edit the folders.
    It makes it very confusing to the user being able to add apps to their own folders if Apple (or the Developers) then add them to different folders in the App Library.

It seems like Apple don’t want users to put apps in their own folders, but simply want them to rely on the App Library for grouping everything, and for us to just put individual apps on each page, but then again if that’s their thinking, why not use the App Library on IPadOS as well?

I do like the search facility in the App Library, very useful if you’ve ‘lost’ an app somewhere!.

All in all, a useful idea, which needed more thought on how the individual would want to use it!
    Highrisedrifter and kimmaree like this.
    09-20-2020 06:34 AM
    I do like the search facility in the App Library, very useful if you’ve ‘lost’ an app somewhere!.
    In any Home Screen, you can drag the screen down to get to the search field. You don’t need to go the App Library for that.
    09-20-2020 06:52 AM
    I don’t think many seem to grasp the concept of the App Library.

The App Library is completely autonomous.

If a user so desires, one could create folders and rearrange apps all day long on iOS with the Home Screen. A user can have pages and pages of folders, apps, and widgets arranged to said users content on the Home Screen, not the App Library.

The autonomous App Library is a new concept, basically Siri suggestion on steroids. I don’t recall anyone complaining they couldn’t customize Siri suggestion over the last two years, it just worked. Sometimes new concepts can be frighting to a certain type of user.

We have to remember the concept of a phone with only four buttons and a touchscreen frightened so many users when the iPhone debuted. Today iPhones have only three buttons and I don’t think many can fathom going back to a phone with a tiny screen littered with buttons.

I would wager it depends entirely on the capacity of the end user to grasp new concepts, from a touch screen phone to a self-governing App Library. At this stage of machine leading and AI, some will but most won’t. With many here calling for the ability to customize the App Library likened to exBlackberry users trying to espouse the merits of a physical keyboards in 2020. It is rather ridiculous and mildly entertaining to observe.
    09-20-2020 08:39 AM
    To FFR, a new concept has to be of some merit before it is of use, I can see no merit in the App Library.
    09-20-2020 12:13 PM
    Being able to make the App Library personable would be nice, but I still like the concept and to be honest I don't mind the Devs or Apple giving them a category. Just like my app pages I will get use to their placement...eventually. Just one less thing for me to worry about.
    Having an opinion or even a strong opinion about something is OK, however if you have no use for the App Library, by all means don't use it. I like it and can see where it will come in handy for my needs and the way I use my Apple products.
    No arguing necessary.
    kimmaree likes this.
    09-20-2020 12:35 PM
    Please remember that I react on posts and not on the poster behind it.
    Most of the time I’m not even aware who I am replying to. So it’s not personal.

You have a good Sunday now.
    If you want an argument I don't mind giving YOU one. If you want to make it personal we can do that to. Ya old fart...LOL
    09-20-2020 12:43 PM
    If you want an argument I don't mind giving YOU one. If you want to make it personal we can do that to. Ya old fart...LOL
    I feel attacked.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    09-20-2020 01:38 PM
    I feel attacked.
    Now you know how it feels...LOL
    Tartarus likes this.
    09-20-2020 01:40 PM
    I guess I'm in the minority here, however I like the App Library. I'm seriously considering hiding a few of my app pages because of the app library to be honest.
    Yep. I now have two screens. The first screen contains my mandatory use apps and then I have the App Library. This setup works great for me.
    09-20-2020 01:54 PM
    In regard to categories, when the developers submit an app to be reviewed by Apple, they must select a primary and a secondary app category.

Having said that, Apple uses the categories selected by the developers and places them in the associated folder in the App Library. Take for example, the app called, “Elevate”. Some people view it as a game, however, the developer chose to categorize it as an education app and therefore it is listed in the Education folder in the App Library.

09-20-2020 04:25 PM
    Yep. I now have two screens. The first screen contains my mandatory use apps and then I have the App Library. This setup works great for me.
    I like the App Library, as well. I’m in the process of editing another screen.
    Spencerdl and kimmaree like this.
    09-20-2020 04:52 PM
    The same way photos are shown in two places? May be, but I can't confirm that, as I can't find anything on it from Apple.
    If you open an app from a home screen and from the app library and the data is not the same, then there would be two store instances of the app. There are not.

Another test: open an app from a home screen. Go home. Open the same app from the app library. Now go to the home switcher. Is there only one listing for that app in the app switcher, or two? If the app was installed twice, there would be two.
    Tartarus likes this.
    09-21-2020 08:19 AM
    That lack of being able to move icons to pertinent groups is why I absolutely hate the App Library. I way too many folders with a single icon in it where most of these sing icons would easily fit in other categories that existed.

Since their folders are a mess and with no way to change them, just GET RID of them and when you get to the page, just immediately show the full list of apps that you see when you pull down in the library. That would be a lot more useful than the mess of folders they show now.
    09-21-2020 02:35 PM
    That lack of being able to move icons to pertinent groups is why I absolutely hate the App Library. I way too many folders with a single icon in it where most of these sing icons would easily fit in other categories that existed.

Since their folders are a mess and with no way to change them, just GET RID of them and when you get to the page, just immediately show the full list of apps that you see when you pull down in the library. That would be a lot more useful than the mess of folders they show now.
    How dare you to propose that. That would be exactly the way Android has been doing it since years.
    kimmaree likes this.
    09-22-2020 07:12 AM
    Not sure If anyone knows but you can just swipe down on the app library for an alphabetical list of your apps. That's if you are worried about having to find them.
    Tartarus, gnirkatto and scruffypig like this.
    09-22-2020 03:31 PM
    To FFR, a new concept has to be of some merit before it is of use, I can see no merit in the App Library.
    You just proved my point .

I’m going to start a new thread, I don’t want to hijack someone’s else’s thread to discuss the concept and merits of the App Library.
    09-23-2020 02:18 AM
    Not sure If anyone knows but you can just swipe down on the app library for an alphabetical list of your apps. That's if you are worried about having to find them.
    Oh! That helps, thanks!
    09-23-2020 09:58 AM
    I don't mind the app library, I like that I can remove everything from the main pages that I don't want there and still have it on my phone. I wish I could make it default to the alphabetical list when you swipe over instead of having to swipe over then down to get that list.
    09-23-2020 11:56 AM
    A belated "hello and welcome to iMore". It's great to have you here, and thanks for the tip about swiping down! That is very helpful!
    09-28-2020 10:07 AM
    Years ago, I started putting like apps in folders that made sense to me, so the App Library adds zero value for me. And, since I still haven't seen the answer to this question, I'll pose it to the iMore best and brightest: can the App Library be deleted in its entirety without affecting the apps themselves, and if so, how?
    Wotchered likes this.
    09-28-2020 01:10 PM
91 1234