Who else is excited about the App Library in iOS 14?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Yup. They do it so we don’t have to.

Kind of like how chef prepares your food in a restaurant, so you don’t have to. Some chefs don’t even take orders, you just sit and they take care of everything, those restaurants are much more expensive as well, if you can actually get a reservation.

That of course is in stark contrast to McDonald’s or Burger King “having it your way “

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bk have it your way

I will now be forever grateful to Apple for saving me the effort of arranging apps the way I want them and for restaurants that tell me what I want to eat. Who would have known? 🤣

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I will now be forever grateful to Apple for saving me the effort of arranging apps the way I want them and for restaurants that tell me what I want to eat. Who would have known?

It’s not a matter of gratuity, but time and effort.
Those with a lot of time and those without.

As for the restaurant, if you have never been to a restaurant that has no menu, you are missing out. The food is always impeccable, you know because the chef does all the work so you don’t have to, that usually costs extra.

I guess you have you never been to a restaurant or event with a set menu either. It’s not as foreign of a concept as you make it out to be.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I think people are misunderstanding the intent behind the app library. I think it's meant to be a place to hold all of your apps whether you use them constantly or just say once every few months or something but don't want to uninstall them. It leaves you free to finally clean up and organize your homescreen(s) much more (as much as you can at least without being able to move apps around outside of the locked down grid where you can't create empty space). Yes it autogroups them, but you can easily search them just like the spotlight search you can do on 13 and earlier, or you can get that alphabetical listing which I think is even better.

Right now I have folders and folders of apps on my screens with a few dragged out that are used much more often. Now I could get rid of all of those folders, and pull out the few other apps from them I use regularly and toss a couple widgets in and have a nice custom looking config. In other words, if you didn't realize it, you can now delete apps off the homescreen so they are ONLY in the app drawer.

I’m fine with the search/full list, that is much appreciated, but the groupings are a complete mess. I have 3 or 4 folders with just 1 app in it yet they are similar to other apps that are grouped. Their groupings and placement of apps is all over the place.

I understand it is a new feature, but just like iOS 14 on my iPad(can’t place widget on the home screen at all... are you kidding?), it seems like a half hearted effort at an app library. They should have at least let us create new/rename groups and move icons from one group to another.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I’m fine with the search/full list, that is much appreciated, but the groupings are a complete mess. I have 3 or 4 folders with just 1 app in it yet they are similar to other apps that are grouped. Their groupings and placement of apps is all over the place.

I understand it is a new feature, but just like iOS 14 on my iPad(can’t place widget on the home screen at all... are you kidding?), it seems like a half hearted effort at an app library. They should have at least let us create new/rename groups and move icons from one group to another.

I have always been against an App Library, so I don’t mind that it’s a mess.
I’m used to have all apps in Home Screens and hate the fact that it is now possible to have apps there or here or here and there. I won’t be hiding apps from my Home Screen anytime soon.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I like it overall. Just can’t wait until the app categorization settles down. Several times since the beta started categories have changed which requires learning where my apps are again.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I have always been against an App Library, so I don’t mind that it’s a mess.
I’m used to have all apps in Home Screens and hate the fact that it is now possible to have apps there or here or here and there. I won’t be hiding apps from my Home Screen anytime soon.

Why would you be against an app library? This makes no sense to me at all.

Even with the app library, you can still only have one occurrence on the icon on your home screen, exactly like before. So nothing at all has changed with the home screen except being able to place widgets and the addition of one extra page. The app library just gives you another avenue to find your apps.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
The App Library allowed me to eliminate a couple of useless folders on my Home Screen.

But, I never use it. I always swipe down and type the name of the app I’m searching for.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I know, I’m thinking of doing away with my folders.

Folders? Thanks to the library I’ve done away with pages. I am one who leaves the first page just as  intended and I try to have one other page of apps. To try to get to that I’d often delete apps. Now, I have all the apps I need in the library and am showing the main first page only.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Folders? Thanks to the library I’ve done away with pages. I am one who leaves the first page just as  intended and I try to have one other page of apps. To try to get to that I’d often delete apps. Now, I have all the apps I need in the library and am showing the main first page only.

I’ve just hidden my Home Screen with apps for vacation and when abroad, as I don’t use those frequently.
I love that option.
I am not a fan of deleting apps from the Home Screen.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73