Who else is excited about the App Library in iOS 14?

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, if you swipe down like you do on the home screen or tap inside the search box they switch to a list. But, I find that I haven’t done either. I’ve been able to find everything I’m looking for by going to the app library. It’s pretty cool and actually (to me) better than the simple app drawer of Android land.

Yeah I'm looking forward to the public beta. Likely going to just put it on my iPad this time around instead of both devices. However hearing there will be a public WatchOS beta as well this time, I'm tempted to just put it on all my devices lol. I used to use Android until the 6s series came out so I'm very familiar with the app drawer at least until that point, using apps like Nova launcher.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm looking forward to the public beta. Likely going to just put it on my iPad this time around instead of both devices. However hearing there will be a public WatchOS beta as well this time, I'm tempted to just put it on all my devices lol. I used to use Android until the 6s series came out so I'm very familiar with the app drawer at least until that point, using apps like Nova launcher.

This is the first year in the last few that I didn’t spend a couple months on Android.  must’ve finally gotten their hooks all the way into me with the 11 Pro.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I like App Library for one reason and one reason only. It actually works in tandem with homescreen widgets. And I only like both in tandem. That is because they allow me to hide all other homscreens and have a simple clean homescreen. Widget stacking just makes it so much nicer.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
So far, if you’ve deleted a folder with a few apps in it from your homescreen, there is no easy way to add all of those apps back to the homescreen. You have to go to App Library and long press on each app to see if it says ‘add to homescreen’.

You have to essential download them again from the app store but then they get added to the very last page, so you'll have to rearrange them again.

I have no issues with my app/folder layout, and really have not really been to enamored with the App Library.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
You have to essential download them again from the app store but then they get added to the very last page, so you'll have to rearrange them again.

I have no issues with my app/folder layout, and really have not really been to enamored with the App Library.

That’s not true.
Apps that are removed from the homescreen but still in the App Library are still installed on the phone.
You simply have to add them back to a homescreen in whatever order you like.

What you say is only true if you delete an app.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
That’s not true.
Apps that are removed from the homescreen but still in the App Library are still installed on the phone.
You simply have to add them back to a homescreen in whatever order you like.

What you say is only true if you delete an app.

Ah ok. Thanks for the clarification.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
I have to say that I do not like the App Library. I find it useless and I have so many apps that I forget about because they are buried in folders. I like that the home screens have been cleaned up but I prefer the way Android does it. Just a grid of icons that I can scroll through when I’m bored. I also prefer androids swipe up gesture to get to it. There is no swipe up on IOS, why not put it there instead of all the way to the right? IMO this is an example of different doesn’t mean better.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
App Library

I do not understand(often the case !) I open my phone/pad and there is my app library ! in my XS’s case seven pages of it, which I have nowhere near filled plus, I have used several ikon spaces as folders. Now, whyfor do I need yet another mechanism for storing apps ?

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
App Library

Good thing it is optional.

I prefer the iOS home screen with static icons on several pages. Leave the app drawer for Mac OS.

Widgets might be fun.

We should know more next week.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way to organize it yourself or are you stuck with the grouping Apple creates?

I'm new to the beta, only having it installed since Beta 7 but I cannot for the life of me find a way to organize the apps in the app library, meaning it's honestly next to useless for me and if I could find a way of disabling it, i'd do that in a heartbeat.

Modelflier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Must admit I’m not keen on not being able to edit the App Library groups, but I do like the way you can ‘down swipe’ in the library to see an alphabetical list of all apps, really handy when you know you’ve got an app but just cant remember where you’ve put it!

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I think people are misunderstanding the intent behind the app library. I think it's meant to be a place to hold all of your apps whether you use them constantly or just say once every few months or something but don't want to uninstall them. It leaves you free to finally clean up and organize your homescreen(s) much more (as much as you can at least without being able to move apps around outside of the locked down grid where you can't create empty space). Yes it autogroups them, but you can easily search them just like the spotlight search you can do on 13 and earlier, or you can get that alphabetical listing which I think is even better.

Right now I have folders and folders of apps on my screens with a few dragged out that are used much more often. Now I could get rid of all of those folders, and pull out the few other apps from them I use regularly and toss a couple widgets in and have a nice custom looking config. In other words, if you didn't realize it, you can now delete apps off the homescreen so they are ONLY in the app drawer.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I’m also just ignoring the App Library. I don’t get how it’s useful.

I have a core set of apps that I use on my dock, first home screen, and much of my second home screen. The rest of my apps, which I hardly but occasionally use, are just disorganized mostly on the last three home screens. I never launch them from my home screen - its faster to search for them for when I want to use them. I'm looking forward to app library, at least so that those apps are just stored away on my third and last home screen. It will definitely reduce my home screens, make the last one look organized, and I don't have to do a thing to make them look that way.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I have a core set of apps that I use on my dock, first home screen, and much of my second home screen. The rest of my apps, which I hardly but occasionally use, are just disorganized mostly on the last three home screens. I never launch them from my home screen - its faster to search for them for when I want to use them. I'm looking forward to app library, at least so that those apps are just stored away on my third and last home screen. It will definitely reduce my home screens, make the last one look organized, and I don't have to do a thing to make them look that way.

But they’re stored according to how Apple wants to store them. There is no way to organize them the way you would want. Therefore, I continue to store apps in folders so I know where they are. Also you shouldn’t have to swipe to the last page to get to the app drawer. Just my thoughts.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
But they’re stored according to how Apple wants to store them. There is no way to organize them the way you would want. Therefore, I continue to store apps in folders so I know where they are. Also you shouldn’t have to swipe to the last page to get to the app drawer. Just my thoughts.

That's perfect for me. I don't care how they're organized. Any organization is better than having to stay on top of apps which I periodically install and use rarely/occasionally. I'll still search for them most of the time when I want to use them.

Open Table is a perfect example of an app like this. I use it maybe once every month or two. I still want the app, I just don't need to see where it is, organize it into a folder somehow, etc.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Yup. They do it so we don’t have to.

Kind of like how chef prepares your food in a restaurant, so you don’t have to. Some chefs don’t even take orders, you just sit and they take care of everything, those restaurants are much more expensive as well, if you can actually get a reservation.

That of course is in stark contrast to McDonald’s or Burger King “having it your way “

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bk have it your way

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner