Will blocking the number stop me from getting Suspicious texts messages?

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I just started receiving texts from Wells Fargo. it’s not an iMessage where I can report as junk. I just started receiving them a few hours ago what should I do besides block the number. luckily I don’t receive suspicious texts like this

does blocking numbers really help? my cousin tells me and does but I’ve heard it doesn’t

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Suspicious texts

I'd just like to highlight one of the pieces of advice in the FTC link. In the US, you can forward spam text messages (green bubble messages) to the number 7726 (SPAM) on every carrier to let them know about them and perhaps allow them to block them for all customers.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If they're internet numbers, there's not much you can do. You can block that number, but they'll just use another number. You can also report it to your carrier. That may or not help. I keep getting one offering health messages. It says to opt out, send "Stop". But that only stops that one number. They keep coming back using a different number. And reporting those to Verizon does not help.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Re: Suspicious texts

I'd just like to highlight one of the pieces of advice in the FTC link. In the US, you can forward spam text messages (green bubble messages) to the number 7726 (SPAM) on every carrier to let them know about them and perhaps allow them to block them for all customers.

I do this on my iPhone and on my husband’s iPhone. I can’t say for sure how effective this is, but it gives me great satisfaction that I’ve taken some sort of action!

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Blocking will block that exact number. The problem is, these scammers/solicitors rotate numbers constantly, so you end up playing whack-a-mole.

I can’t tell you how many times I have gotten the same solicitation call from numbers that have the same first 6 digits, but have different last 4 numbers(first 6 are part of legit cell phone numbers).

When I see them I let them go to voicemail and if there is no message left, I block the number but it just comes again with a different set of last 4 digits.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
It's there. Settings / Messages, turn on "Filter Unknown Senders"

Meh, it’s pretty worthless. Only filters unknown iMessages. Sometimes. I think I’ve had three numbers revert there in all this time.

You can hit the little “i” and go to the number and block that way. This is what I do but just like calls they just use another number.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner