What do people prefer with regards to Android notifications over iOS?

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Prior to switching to an iPhone 11 I was an Android user for a long time. After reviewing and reading I found many people preferring notifications on Android over iOS.

After a couple of weeks I actually prefer the notifications on iOS. On Android over the last 2 years I was constantly getting delayed notifications. I would get a whole bunch at one time when I would wake the phone up or when I would get a call and the phone woke up on its own. This happened over multiple devices over the last 2 years.

With my iPhone notifications are instant. I actually had my Note 10 on wifi still active to test out the notifications between devices. Same app, same notification... delayed on Android and instant on iOS.

Just curious as to what people prefer with regards to Android notifications over iOS?

On my iPhone I am still able to interact with the motivations like my Android (thanks for the lesson iMore forums).

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: My $0.02 on notifications - former Android user

I haven’t used an Android smartphone since 2011-ish so I don’t even remember its notifications system. ;)

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Delayed notifications are pretty common on Android. Although not many android users are willing to admit that unless they want to get flamed by the android community at large.

I think they just say they prefer android notifications because most have never used an iPhone.

Not a fan of the Mac OS X status bar on a tiny android display either, it works better on a larger widescreen monitor. I prefer iOS’s more modern interpretation on a mobile device vs copying Mac OS X like google did with android. Guess android fans don’t want to bring that up either.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Delayed notifications are pretty common on Android. Although not many android users are willing to admit that unless they want to get flamed by the android community at large.

I think they just say they prefer android notifications because most have never used an iPhone.

Not a fan of the Mac OS X status bar on a tiny android display either, it works better on a larger widescreen monitor. I prefer iOS’s more modern interpretation on a mobile device vs copying Mac OS X like google like google did with android. Guess android fans don’t want to bring that up either.

I like Android. Was using it for 10 years. However I was never afraid to admit it shortcomings to other Android users. The delayed notifications was driving me nuts.

I also like the notifications on iOS. No issues at all with them... and at least they come through instantly and are not delayed.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I like Android. Was using it for 10 years. However I was never afraid to admit it shortcomings to other Android users. The delayed notifications was driving me nuts.

10 years of delayed notifications would drive anyone nuts, That’s for sure.

I also like the notifications on iOS. No issues at all with them... and at least they come through instantly and are not delayed.

As they should. It wouldn’t be fair to pay for a device only to be handicapped by delayed notifications.

Whatever you do not look at the Apple Watch or AirPods, it won’t end well.

Beat of luck with your new device.

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
10 years of delayed notifications would drive anyone nuts, That’s for sure.

As they should. It wouldn’t be fair to pay for a device only to be handicapped by delayed notifications.

Whatever you do not look at the Apple Watch or AirPods, it won’t end well.

Beat of luck with your new device.

Lol. I am sure it will not end well. I already find myself looking through the “convenient” Apple Store App on my phone. Lol

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed a delay in some notifications on Android. Not all, or not as large as a gap as others. However, what people prefer about notifications on Android is that you are able to glance at the top your screen and see if you have any and can tell what they are for before even pulling down the notification tray. Once you've pulled down the notification tray you can triage more easily on Android. Or even quickly jump into settings to make changes if necessary. I have a couple apps that would require constant notification for something to work, I can mute that so I don't have see it. Other things like Pokemon Go and using a Go Plus on iOS means notification after notification after notification with your only means of sanity to either not use it or mute all notifications from the game. On Android, you simply don't need these notifications and if they were required they would grouped into a single notification rather than a notification per action. These among other reasons are why people prefer notifications on Android over iOS. iOS has come a long way in terms of notifications, though I do believe it still needs work.

MB64

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I currently have an S8, iphone 6s and 8. And i receive emails quicker on both iPhones. For someone that is still trying to decide what OS to switch to that is a problem.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed a delay in some notifications on Android. Not all, or not as large as a gap as others. However, what people prefer about notifications on Android is that you are able to glance at the top your screen and see if you have any and can tell what they are for before even pulling down the notification tray. Once you've pulled down the notification tray you can triage more easily on Android. Or even quickly jump into settings to make changes if necessary. I have a couple apps that would require constant notification for something to work, I can mute that so I don't have see it. Other things like Pokemon Go and using a Go Plus on iOS means notification after notification after notification with your only means of sanity to either not use it or mute all notifications from the game. On Android, you simply don't need these notifications and if they were required they would grouped into a single notification rather than a notification per action. These among other reasons are why people prefer notifications on Android over iOS. iOS has come a long way in terms of notifications, though I do believe it still needs work.

That seems rather intense.

Probably why I prefer iOS notifications to androids, android notifications seems like a lot of work.

Don’t like the Mac OS X status bar on android either due to the small vertical display, looks awful.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
That seems rather intense.

Probably why I prefer iOS notifications to androids, android notifications seems like a lot of work.

Don’t like the Mac OS X status bar on android either due to the small vertical display, looks awful.

Nah, 99% of options are hidden behind a swipe. Then a tap takes you settings for finer control of options of wanted. It would be like on iOS where you do a short swipe to pull up options, except the options are useful. And some things can work without bombarding you with notifications.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Nah, 99% of options are hidden behind a swipe. Then a tap takes you settings for finer control of options of wanted. It would be like on iOS where you do a short swipe to pull up options, except the options are useful. And some things can work without bombarding you with notifications.

Yes a swipe then tap then more settings more tapping for each app. That sounds like a lot of work, some people like that.

I wouldn’t pay good money for that experience, that’s why I prefer iOS, hope they never turn it into android.

I don’t get bombarded with notifications either, iOS figures it out for me, and notifications don’t get delayed on iOS, that’s a priority for some.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes a swipe then tap then more settings more tapping for each app. That sounds like a lot of work, some people like that.

I wouldn’t pay good money for that experience, that’s why I prefer iOS, hope they never turn it into android.

I don’t get bombarded with notifications either, iOS figures it out for me, and notifications don’t get delayed on iOS, that’s a priority for some.

The biggest thing causes issues for notifications in terms of being bombarded, is my example of using a peripheral for Pokémon Go, or any app the requires notifications to run something in the background. As for the settings, it just takes you into the notification settings for the app, you just have quick access to it from the notification itself rather than having to go to settings to go to the notification settings to go to the app to get your app notification settings. One tap and you’re there. Not to mention you can mark notifications as unimportant for some segments and stop receiving notifications for them. Such as a music player notification, or a weather app notification, things that run options in the notifications, you can turn those off right from the notification.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
The biggest thing causes issues for notifications in terms of being bombarded, is my example of using a peripheral for Pokémon Go, or any app the requires notifications to run something in the background. As for the settings, it just takes you into the notification settings for the app, you just have quick access to it from the notification itself rather than having to go to settings to go to the notification settings to go to the app to get your app notification settings. One tap and you’re there. Not to mention you can mark notifications as unimportant for some segments and stop receiving notifications for them. Such as a music player notification, or a weather app notification, things that run options in the notifications, you can turn those off right from the notification.

There are a lot of things in iOS that take multiple steps to accomplish. I’m not sure if it’s a limit of the OS or just how they want it. It could be more convenient.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Yes, that sounds incredibly complicated and time consuming.

It’s great you prefer android and that’s what androids for, some people have a lot more time to mess around with their phone, most do not.

I prefer iOS’s implementation of having all the notifications in the settings pane, it’s much easier to change the notifications settings on one or multiple apps at once versus going in and out of several apps. Saves a lot of time. And if I missed an app I can edit the notifications setting from within the notification alert pane. It’s pretty simple on iOS, don’t know how you missed that.

You keep thinking that is something needing to be fixed similar to android notification delay problem, it’s not, to most iOS users it’s feature we prefer.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that sounds incredibly complicated and time consuming.

It’s great you prefer android and that’s what androids for, some people have a lot more time to mess around with their phone, most do not.

I prefer iOS’s implementation of having all the notifications in the settings pane, it’s much easier to change the notifications settings on one or multiple apps at once versus going in and out of several apps. Saves a lot of time. And if I missed an app I can edit the notifications setting from within the notification alert pane. It’s pretty simple on iOS, don’t know how you missed that.

You keep thinking that is something needing to be fixed similar to android notification delay problem, it’s not, to most iOS users it’s feature we prefer.

It’s no such thing, one tap into settings. You just finer control of the notifications. It’s not all or nothing. The thread was asking what people prefer about Android notifications. I gave some examples of what people prefer over iOS. You can prefer what you want, this thread isn’t about which system people prefer, it’s about what specifically people prefer about Android notifications. Android also has blanket notification options FWIW, each app has more control for its app though. So you can still get notifications you want while not getting ones you don’t want.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
You’re welcome

I wouldn’t pay any money on it at all, let alone good money.

Amen to that.

I never like it when you defend Android on here.

Facts are facts. Android has a more robust notification system. Why is that hard to accept? Perhaps Apple could learn from that and give its users a slightly better experience.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro