I just noticed a 5G Signal on my iPhone.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I just noticed the 5G signal on my iPhone 11.

Attachments

• IMG_0542.JPG
    IMG_0542.JPG
    334.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
It's nice to see the icon, just to know it's there.

Wish Tmobile would git-r-done here.
T-Mobile does have their low band 5G built out nationwide. If you want to use it right now you need OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren Edition, a Samsung Galaxy S20 series, or a Galaxy Note 10 5G.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
T-Mobile does have their low band 5G built out nationwide. If you want to use it right now you need OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren Edition, a Samsung Galaxy S20 series, or a Galaxy Note 10 5G.

Well that’s not gonna happen so I’ll just have to take your word for it.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
5G may not ever get done. It requires cell tower placement very close together, which would be a problem in at least many communities and other areas.

I think that this is probably the truth. It won’t get done. I live in England, it is a comparatively small area but rural connectivity is very poor. But we certainly don’t want masts every quarter mile in all directions, we already have electricity pylons and wind turbines all over the place. For everywhere but urban use 5g seems to be a wrong turning.

JandN2639

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
I think that this is probably the truth. It won’t get done. I live in England, it is a comparatively small area but rural connectivity is very poor. But we certainly don’t want masts every quarter mile in all directions, we already have electricity pylons and wind turbines all over the place. For everywhere but urban use 5g seems to be a wrong turning.

Even in urban and suburban areas, it's just not feasible. Streets and buildings would have to have towers in their midst, and in at least Chicago and New York City (I live in the US), it would require a complete overhaul. In rural areas, it would disrupt farming. In forests and natural parks--you get the idea.

sinime

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, supposedly there are 2 flavors of 5G.... T-Mobile is going with the lower frequency that has better range/coverage (needs less towers) but has slower speeds. Verizon is going with the high speed version that has less range/coverage.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

5G can be done over any wave length of spectrum. The mmWave is what “5G” has been marketed as but that is solely for inner city and venues.

5G doesn’t need to be “done” and it’s never been talked up as being a upgrade to 4G/LTE. It’s going to be Mostly a second network. It’s just to add capacity.

When talking about fixed wireless then 5G is a different beast altogether and I’m sorta excited for fixed wireless 5G. I’m not excited about potential caps and cost. But we need all the competition we can get.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
AT&T saying 5Ge is no different than any other company saying LTE.

LTE was developed or “Long Term Evolution” for carriers fast than 3G but not fast enough to be considered 4G. So unless your phone says 4G or 4G LTE you are still not even at 4G.

5Ge is the same. It is much faster than 4G but not fast enough to be called 5G. So it’s called 5g Evolution. It’s not a scam. AT&T has never advertised a 5G network.

That said Verizon and T-Mobile have run commercial ads like crazy for 5G while T-Mobile does truly have 5G speeds it’s only for a few phones.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
It is much faster than 4G but not fast enough to be called 5G. So it’s called 5g Evolution. It’s not a scam. AT&T has never advertised a 5G network.

I think it is a scam; it is not 5G, as you say, so it shouldn't be called 5Ge. It should be called 4Ge if it is enhanced LTE, or eLTE. NOT 5Ge.

Since AT&T did this with calling their 3G network 4Ge several years ago, it's in keeping with their scamishness.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice