I have noticed on all my IOS 13.3, text to speech is not working. I have enabled it in accessibility and Siri is enabled and there is a voice chosen and downloaded. I have tried rebooting to no avail. This is on 3 i Phones that I have. I am not sure what to do next to enable this feature but I am running out of ideas. can anyone help?
    01-09-2020 10:38 AM
    I am replying to this message via text to speech on iOS 13.3. This is a test.

EDIT: Settings/General/Keyboard. Turn on "Enable Dictation".
    Annie_M likes this.
    01-09-2020 10:47 AM
    Text to speech, not speak to text. That works fine. Highlight a text and hit speak. That no longer works.

BTW, if I highlight text anyplace else but from a text, it works fine. Say from a webpage.
    01-09-2020 11:15 AM
    Text to speech, not speak to text. That works fine. Highlight a text and hit speak. That no longer works.

BTW, if I highlight text anyplace else but from a text, it works fine. Say from a webpage.
    After going to Settings→ Accessibility→ Spoken Content and then enabling “Speak Selection”, I then composed a text message without a recipient, highlighted the text and then tapped on “speak”. The selected text was read aloud via the text to speak feature.
    01-09-2020 06:34 PM
    Disregard. I see what you’re saying. I just tried the feature with a text conversation that I had and when i selected the text message/iMessage conversation I wanted read aloud, it wouldn’t read it even though the speak option was present.
    01-09-2020 06:36 PM
    Okay, we are on the same page now. But try to do that in say a webpage and it works fine. What happened? I mean, it used to work on ios12...

So it's not just me. It is frustrating as heck! I have googled away and tried every fix. Happening on my personal and work phone so more than coincidence.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-09-2020 06:39 PM
    I use text to speech just fine with web pages and iOS 13.3. One thing I usually do though is change the web page to “reader view” first. That way, there is less garbage that text to speech reads through, like headers and banner ads.
    01-09-2020 09:38 PM
    Agreed, it works great on webpages. But as of ios13 that I can discern, try to read a text message, it wont work. That is the issue I am speaking of. Webpages are fine, text messages are a no go even though the option shows up.
    01-10-2020 07:49 AM
    Agreed, it works great on webpages. But as of ios13 that I can discern, try to read a text message, it wont work. That is the issue I am speaking of. Webpages are fine, text messages are a no go even though the option shows up.
    I just tried a text message in messages. I long press on the message and the option to speak the message is there. If I two finger swipe downward on the page, text to speech works.
    01-10-2020 08:27 PM
    Hmm. Not for me. It just selects texts to delete.
    01-10-2020 09:05 PM
    Here is what I see when I long press on a message in Messages.

Text To Speech Not Working IOS13-img_8475.jpg
    01-13-2020 07:48 AM
    I do as well, now hit speak and see if it actually speaks the text. Mine will not.
    scruffypig likes this.
    01-13-2020 08:00 AM
    I do as well, now hit speak and see if it actually speaks the text. Mine will not.
    Works fine for me. While text to speech is playing, try adjusting your volume levels with volume buttons on the side of your iPhone.
    01-13-2020 02:10 PM
    I have done so, no help.
    01-13-2020 02:22 PM
    I have done so, no help.
    I would make an appointment with the Genius Bar. I doubt it is hardware related. It may be that a simple clean install will fix the issue.
    01-14-2020 08:34 AM
    On multiple phones that I have, some new, some with just the ios update. I mean, that is awfully strange that there are many phones like this and Apple is not addressing. I asked others at work and they all have the same issue, worked well before ios13.
    01-14-2020 08:38 AM