Photos With iCloud?

love4speechless

Sep 25, 2018
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I’m after some advice. I use onedrive to back up all my photos. As such I have turned off the auto backup for photos on iCloud on my phone. If I select back up now will it still back up my photos or it won’t back them up because I’ve deselected it to do so automatically? What are the benefits of having photos stored in backup?

Thank you for your time :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It is my understanding that if iCloud photos is enabled then those photos will NOT be included in an iCloud backup because they are synced to iCloud. With that being said, if iCloud photos is not enabled then the photos that are on your device will be included in an iCloud backup.

The benefit of having photos backed up to iCloud is the ability to restore them in case they were deleted by mistake on the device.

Last edited:

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
So as D said they are actually two different things. It’s kind of confusing and took me a bit to figure out. I have mine and my younger kids set up one way and my husband and oldest’s set up another. This is the best explanation I’ve found or at least the one that made the difference click for me.
https://apple.stackexchange.com/qu...ud-backup-even-if-icloud-photo-library-is-off
eta: read the last post, it’s the clearest explanation.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If you're not using iCloud Photo Library, your photos will still back up with an iCloud back up. We used to be able to turn off photos for an iCloud back up. But that changed in iOS 12 I think. To keep my iCloud back ups within the free 5 gb, I used to go to settings> iCloud > manage storage, and there was a list of apps along with photos, where I could turn off any app data or photos for a back up. They removed this. Now when I follow the "manage storage" path, it only shows the option to buy more storage. So now, I'm being forced to pay 99¢ a month, since my back up is 6.3 gb. And no way to get it down below 5 gb.
I'm not sure what you actually want to achieve. It sounds like since you use onedrive to store your photos, you don't want them in your iCloud back up. I had been doing that with Box and Dropbox, as well as other cloud apps. And not including the photos in my back ups. Just not possible now. If you use iCloud back up, your photos will be included. You can delete the "Recently Deleted" photos before doing a back up. That helps if you're looking to reduce your back up size.