What do you think of optimized battery charging?

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I’m not sure optimized battery charging works. Normally, I take my phone of the wireless charging pad around 8:30am. The other morning I woke up around 4am and just for the heck of It I decided to check the battery. My phone was at 98% charged.

The way I understand how the optimized battery charging works. Is it learns your pattern of when you take the device off the charger and charges the phone to 80% and then charges it to 100 % just before you normally take it off the charger.

What are your thoughts?

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Haven’t been able to get mine to work since it came out. Was having a bad battery drain on my X🅂 max then my 11 pro max. So I decided to turn it off & the drain stopped. I think it may need some more work

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I’m not sure optimized battery charging works. Normally, I take my phone of the wireless charging pad around 8:30am. The other morning I woke up around 4am and just for the heck of It I decided to check the battery. My phone was at 98% charged.

The way I understand how the optimized battery charging works. Is it learns your pattern of when you take the device off the charger and charges the phone to 80% and then charges it to 100 % just before you normally take it off the charger.

This is correct, but it only happens when you actually have a notification that optimized charging is happening, and I believe it only happens when you are using high amperage charging (i.e., 10w charging or higher.) So far I have seen the notification only twice, the last time about a week ago, and the notification said that my phone would be scheduled to finish charging at 4:30 am - about 90 minutes before I usually wake up.

So, if you actually saw the optimized battery charging notification, the notification had a time that was significantly past 4 am, and the phone was at 98%, then something wasn't right. But if you never saw the optimized battery notification, then it was just doing normal charging.

You can actually tell if there is optimized charging by looking at settings / battery - the charge graph will show a little lightning symbol at the time that the phone was held to 80%.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Well the charger that comes with the 11 Pro Max is 18w, and I use it exclusively, and I have yet to see any optimized notification.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
This is correct, but it only happens when you actually have a notification that optimized charging is happening, and I believe it only happens when you are using high amperage charging (i.e., 10w charging or higher.) So far I have seen the notification only twice, the last time about a week ago, and the notification said that my phone would be scheduled to finish charging at 4:30 am - about 90 minutes before I usually wake up.

So, if you actually saw the optimized battery charging notification, the notification had a time that was significantly past 4 am, and the phone was at 98%, then something wasn't right. But if you never saw the optimized battery notification, then it was just doing normal charging.

You can actually tell if there is optimized charging by looking at settings / battery - the charge graph will show a little lightning symbol at the time that the phone was held to 80%.

I have never received a notification. I have seen a little lightning symbol on the battery level graph. I thought that indicated when charging began. I’m using a Mophie 10watt charge stream pad +.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I haven't really tried it. I just didn't like the idea of my iPhone only charging to 80%. I don't leave it on the charger all night, and maybe I should give it a try. I usually wait until my iPhone gets to 20% and then put it on to charge. This could be when I go to bed, but it could also be at home during the day, or even at work during the day.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have never received a notification I have seen a little lightning symbol on the battery level graph. I thought that indicated when charging began.

See https://9to5mac.com/2019/10/01/ios-13-iphone-optimized-battery-charging/ for more info about optimized battery charging and an example of what the notification looks like and what the lightning symbol in the settings / battery graph that I am talking about (it's a lightning symbol with a blue bar at 80% for a period of time).

optimized-battery-charging.jpg

battery-charging.jpg

I’m using a Mophie 10watt charge stream pad +.

This is probably why. I am 99.99% certain that, at least at this point, optimized battery charging works only with regular, non-wireless charging. Also, the pad may be 10 watt but the iPhone only supports 7.5 watt Qi charging maximum.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Do you receive a notification that it’s working?

I don’t. I don’t get up before my usual wake time. I also use the normal charger for my bedstand and a 12w charger during the evenings when I’m home.
I vaguely remember seeing the notification once though.

Everything from Apple works just fine for me. Has always been so.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I’ve never received any notification for optimised charging. I would love to use this feature and it’s been turned on since it’s inception.

staceymj86

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
The notification comes on for my phone at least every other night. It seems to work for me for right now. The next time it pop up, I’ll post a pic of the notification.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR