Does anyone’s “Find My” app work properly?

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Both kids are busy today. I’ll play around and see if I can work it out.

No reason to get a gps tracker. He a new driver and just to keep an eye on him.

Wonder if I’m doing something wrong. Hmmmmm

I’m wondering the same. Maybe you have a setting afud somewhere either on your end or his. Does the other child have a phone? If so, are there issues with their location?

EarleD

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes it seems to happen with both iPhone. Both are XR’s. It alway will refresh if I fc. All setting seem to be correct. Both XR’s show locations correctly when it’s updated.

The xr’s Both seem to work As expected. They auto update and my location is accurate.

I really don’t want to start fresh. I hate resetting up my phone. I’ll probably wait for the next update and see what happens. If I have to dfu I will but not yet.
I’m wondering the same. Maybe you have a setting afud somewhere either on your end or his. Does the other child have a phone? If so, are there issues with their location?

Last edited:

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I only have 'one' friend ( my wife) on my list and I've always believed the Celldata / GPS interface here was a bit weak where we live but since iOS 13 it seems to be better, both for finding people and devices. My wife has one only 1 (me) as well but also finds its snappier in general moreso when away from wifi. Both phones are 8Plus. It's an 'awareness' feature not really used all that often though so others may provide a better sampling.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes it seems to happen with both iPhone. Both are XR’s. It alway will refresh if I fc. All setting seem to be correct. Both XR’s show locations correctly when it’s updated.

The xr’s Both seem to work As expected. They auto update and my location is accurate.

I really don’t want to start fresh. I hate resetting up my phone. I’ll probably wait for the next update and see what happens. If I have to dfu I will but not yet.

If I’m reading this right the issue is with the app on your phone? It works fine on the theirs to see you?

I wouldn’t go nuclear and reset your whole phone. That’s the last resort IMO.

What I would do in your situation:
1) Turn off location settings. Reboot. Turn them back on. Test. If that doesn’t work:
2) Turn off location settings. Delete the app. Reboot. Download the app, set things back up. Test. No dice?
3) Have them stop sharing then request to share again. Test. Still not happening?
4) Reset network settings. Test.
5) Forget Network then add it back in.

If none of that works I’d take it to Apple. Make a back up before you go just in case.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn’t go nuclear and reset your whole phone. That’s the last resort IMO.

What I would do in your situation:
1) Turn off location settings. Reboot. Turn them back on. Test. If that doesn’t work:
2) Turn off location settings. Delete the app. Reboot. Download the app, set things back up. Test. No dice?
3) Have them stop sharing then request to share again. Test. Still not happening?
4) Reset network settings. Test.
5) Forget Network then add it back in.

If none of that works I’d take it to Apple. Make a back up before you go just in case.

I'd add

6) Settings / General / Reset / Reset all settings

To get all settings back to factory without nuking the phone, rebuilding it from scratch, etc. You'd be changing bunch of settings, re-enabling notifications and location for everything, etc., but worth a try.

AppleFamily

Oct 24, 2019
Visit site
Re: ? About the Find My app

Find My is useless unless you have more than one device.

If I go in through iCloud on the web to find a "lost device" because I only have one device, it asks for a verification code which it then displays on the screen of the lost device!!!

So unless the thief is really helpful and tells me the verification code, I can't find the lost device.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

If I go in through iCloud on the web to find a "lost device" because I only have one device, it asks for a verification code which it then displays on the screen of the lost device!!!

So unless the thief is really helpful and tells me the verification code, I can't find the lost device.

When you visit iCloud.com on the web, you’ll see the option to find a lost device under the input field for your credentials.
See if that works for you, as I’m sure Apple isn’t as stupid as you make them to be.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

If you don't have another device, you could use a family member's device. You would need to log in with your credentials. I have done this to find my husband's iPad, our cousin's iPhone, and a couple of others. So it's not really useless at all.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

When you visit iCloud.com on the web, you’ll see the option to find a lost device under the input field for your credentials.
See if that works for you, as I’m sure Apple isn’t as stupid as you make them to be.

This is correct - it happens on the input field for the 6 digit verification code, to be 100% precise. There is a link at the bottom to go right to the Find My page (though the link still says "Find my iPhone".)

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
Wouldn’t know how it works if it slapped me right in the face. Never used it. Have friends who use it and they seem to find it exceptionally useful. Curious mind asking here: Is it an app for family like safety to know where kids are, etc. How exactly does it work? Is it a proximity tool where you’d know if you and a friend where coincidentally near by? Not asking like I’d want to be able to pull up and see where all my friends are, but more like: hey, my fiancé and I are at the mall shopping and randomly we’d know we had friends near by coincidentally.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro