Optimized Battery charging

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Comments? Wisdom?- with respect to the 'New' iOS 13 selection in the Battery settings / Battery Health / Optimized Battery Charging

Last edited:

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
What I am looking for are comments from those who choose to use it ( or not....) with respect to use with QI vs wired charge, and people who have 'non-conventional' times of the day ( or night) when they use ( or charge) ie shift work-when shifts are irregular. I plan to use it for a month to see how it all settles out - QI chargers at bedside. It will take at least that time to get a grasp re how well it does, as well as to collect user feedback. That is the purpose for which I started this thread.....

Last edited:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I always wake up at the same time of day, 6am. Therefore optimized charging is the best thing that happened to me.
Hopefully other people with different experiences will reply soon so you can form a better opinion about it.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Many of course are 9-5, but 4-midnight isn't uncommon, and then there are 'graveyard people' -midnight to 8 or 11- 7, all who have different needs. Also, the way in which QI chargers approach 100% and 'back off' could either compliment or conflict with iOS logic. That will all take time to trickle down and is why I posted. No one will have an overview in a day or so. I installed 13.1 this afternoon and am retired so have no real schedule...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Years back, I would have recommended that you charge to capacity and then drain it down to about 2 to 3% before charging it to capacity again. I still think it’s ideal for those who can do it.

With that being said , I charged my iPhone X and a few models prior to it overnight while I slept each night and that worked well for me. Now that I have the iPhone 11 Pro Max, the battery life is o phenomenal that I’ve yet to charge it overnight. I’m now at 35% percent and I haven’t charged it since yesterday morning.

I think charging it to capacity whenever you need it to be is ideal these days.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
It will be interesting to see how battery technologies, phone software, charger software ( QI in particular) mesh going forward. And I guess it's easy to set consistent schedules from a hammock but that's simply not 'real world'- where each and every one of us have both 'needs in common' as well as 'wide variances,' both cultural & societal in what we wish to achieve from any changing and revised technologies.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I decided to use the Optimized Battery Charging. I use the USB type C fast charger that came with my phone at home (main), a 10W car charger (top-up or long trips) and what I believe is a 10W USB type A plug at the office (for top-ups, if necessary).

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Does optimized battery charging actually work with Qi charging? I would imagine that it's for plug in charging only.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Which is exactly why I started this thread....There isn't a lot of information through Apple yet so I figured that a sampling of users would provide very interesting feedback, contrary to the opinion of one who answered very quickly once I'd posted. Time will tell and provide a bit of depth but I'd suspect that even different QI set-up may interact differently to the revised Apple logic

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
In general, I find it a waste of time to overthink how and when I charge my device and whether I let it die then charge or what percentages I should get to prior to charging. Our phones are smarter than we give them credit for and if you are on a yearly or even every two year upgrade cycle, most of the time you won't have an issue with your battery.

Due to this...my general rule is to charge whenever I feel like it or whenever I need to. I charge at night with whatever charger is available (and approved by Apple or sold by a trusted retailer) to ensure I start each day with a full charge. Throughout the day, I will charge if I want to ensure I've got a full battery before I leave work and won't have a chance to charge again before bed. Otherwise, I don't worry about it. If I'm at home and next to a charger, maybe I'll plug it in, maybe I won't. There is really no rhyme or reason to my charge patterns. At minimum, I'm particular about what chargers I use because that's the only important aspect I believe I need to be concerned with. So I have an Apple-store sold Qi charger at my work desk that I use when needed during the day.

Battery tech is smart. We shouldn't be concerning ourselves with it, in general. And the average user doesn't.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
In general, I find it a waste of time to overthink how and when I charge my device and whether I let it die then charge or what percentages I should get to prior to charging. Our phones are smarter than we give them credit for and if you are on a yearly or even every two year upgrade cycle, most of the time you won't have an issue with your battery.

Due to this...my general rule is to charge whenever I feel like it or whenever I need to. I charge at night with whatever charger is available (and approved by Apple or sold by a trusted retailer) to ensure I start each day with a full charge. Throughout the day, I will charge if I want to ensure I've got a full battery before I leave work and won't have a chance to charge again before bed. Otherwise, I don't worry about it. If I'm at home and next to a charger, maybe I'll plug it in, maybe I won't. There is really no rhyme or reason to my charge patterns. At minimum, I'm particular about what chargers I use because that's the only important aspect I believe I need to be concerned with. So I have an Apple-store sold Qi charger at my work desk that I use when needed during the day.

Battery tech is smart. We shouldn't be concerning ourselves with it, in general. And the average user doesn't.

I couldn’t have worded it better.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

This is pretty much how I charge my phone as well. Granted, I haven't experimented with Optimized Battery charging, but it just doesn't appeal to me! I can see how it would appeal to many people.. and maybe I'll check it out sometime when I have time to pay attention! :D

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to stay with my original plan & leave it active for two weeks, both phones, QI charging at night - Chargers are brands no one in North America would likely have heard but are mid priced and work well. I'll post what I see then....

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I think a week of watching has brought out some 'not surprising' information. The cable charging is affected by the optimization but QI is not.
While using a cable, charging from below 75 % essentially stopped at 80% (+/-) This was on both my 8+, and my wife's (8+ as well) If a cable charge was started from above 80% it was intermittent and not constant but I don't know how the 'time algorithms' re 'charging when needed' affected this. I am comfortable to asume that it's doing what it is supposed to do. When Optimized Charging is deselected (from the 'battery health page) it simply charged when connected.
Using our normal times and the QI chargers ( 3 medium priced brands not likely marketed in the US ) Argom & Klipextreme -interestingly both outfits are also deep into the 'Bluetooth headset' market here and are I'm sure Asian.) The other being a 'Zens' from Holland. The chargers controlled and seemed to trim the charge wayyyyy down as 100% is approached. All advertised 'intelligent charge logic' so I assume they more or less, probably by utilizing different widardry, duplicate what  is trying to do with Optimized Charging . Of course I have no idea whether Apple protocols will be modified as more iOS updates fall through the pipe - but as of now ( iOS13.1) I saw no evidence of  optimized protocol involving QI charging, in the way it works with cable charge. From an 'Awareness' point of view, it would have been nice to have had the differences between cable & QI charging highlighted by Apple itself, rather than having been 'hinted at' in various technical publications and magazines.

Last edited:

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I have optimized enabled, but have charged my Pro Max wirelessly since launch. As of this post, I have yet to see the optimized message when I set my phone on the wireless charger. I think I’ll try the OEM wall charger and cable and see if I start getting that message.

I also charge my device overnight regardless of battery level when I go to bed and take it off charger at 7am when I leave for work.

Another thing to consider is CarPlay. How many of us are using it? I did for about 3 hours yesterday while I was driving to and from a location for work that I was unfamiliar with.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I haven't ever seen an 'optimized' message either way - including when on cable & charging was inhibited from approximately 80%

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
So I connected my Max via cable last night at bedtime. Phone was around 60%. Watched the news and part of The Tonight Show and then look at at my phone. 93%. Wouldn’t the device know my pattern after two weeks? Optimization is on but doesn’t appear to be working, unless not enough time has passed yet.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2