Optimized Battery charging

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
If I remember right, when on cable charge, the charging got inhibited at 83 % when charging in the afternoon ( 3 or 4 o'clock). Not sure at all about learning curve for the logic, and I'd also assume the using a mix of cable & QI will further confuse & skew the data pattern. But at least it's not likely to harm anything...I am frankly used to using the wireless charging when needed and overnight so will stick to that.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Hahahahaha. You used the word "logic" when talking about an Apple product. :)

I would think that a mixture of cable and wireless charging shouldn't make a difference. If it does, then why did Apple start using wireless charging?

When I was on Android Nexus devices, it didn't matter if I use cable or wireless charging. It worked the same. It seems to me Apple can't make both play nice together.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I've had iOS 13 since only lat Monday (9/23) and I still haven't seen the optimized charging message. I assume that it takes a couple of weeks. I always charge while I sleep, so generally the phone goes on charge at about 11:00-11:30, and I wake up anywhere from 5:45 to 6:30, so I should have a pretty good pattern in place.

I assume that optimized charging is looking for a patter like that rather than the occasional "I always plug in for about an hour sometime in the afternoon." It's looking for a repeated pattern of having the phone plugged in for longer than it would take to actually fully charge the phone - right?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I see anyway to help improve the life of the battery while charging overnight a good thing. If it learns I put it on my charger around 9 or 10pm and get up around 6 or 7am then it should know to trickle charge until it needs to max the charging to be ready at 100% in time for me to get up.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I see anyway to help improve the life of the battery while charging overnight a good thing. If it learns I put it on my charger around 9 or 10pm and get up around 6 or 7am then it should know to trickle charge until it needs to max the charging to be ready at 100% in time for me to get up.

In theory, that's exactly what it's supposed to do....Question is, is that the case if you charge wirelessly (QI) ??
Not to further confuse the discussion, but, if and when charging is inhibited, can things like iCloud back-up occur. (?)

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Not to further confuse the discussion, but, if and when charging is inhibited, can things like iCloud back-up occur. (?)

I believe so. The phone is still plugged in; it just keeps the charge at close to 80% rather than a full charge until a specific period before you usually unplug. And rapid charging starts when you first plug in, and I assume that iCloud backups, photo analysis, etc., happen as soon as the phone is plugged in. No different from before.

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
This all sounds very familiar, and it is not a new idea.

My 3 year old Lenovo laptop does this. I'm sure lots of others do too. Basically you turn it on when you are NOT going to be using the battery. Which in my case, is almost never. It's a big and heavy 17.3" laptop, so it's not really portable. It keeps the battery at around 60% charge. Being at full charge for long periods of time is not good.

I basically charge my phones and tablets whenever it is convenient. I never use so-called "wireless" charging, and I have not bothered to install iOS 13 yet. I use the iPad chargers on my phones, so they charge pretty quickly.

I have two 8 pluses (1 personal, 1 work) and both are still at 100% battery health. So I would assume that what I am doing is fine.

I never leave anything plugged in overnight, and that appears to be the key here. If I read the above comments correctly, that is maybe what this "optimized charging" thing is doing. Not leaving the battery plugged in at 100% charge all night every night, for people who charge overnight.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I've been lucky to date but since my 4s days -2012-actually also my Blackberry before that...- I've always charged overnight, every night on all phones ( and tablets).

The battery wear & life on the 4s was good for 3 years and it was actually screen size & storage issues that pushed us to upgrade. My 6 was a battery disaster from the get-go but here is the islands we simply don't have the comprehensive customer support bigger countries and cultures have gotten used to. The 6+ for my wife provided also 3 years but again, it was camera issues which led to replacement with her 8+. I had replaced my 6 which had numerous problems with 7+ which gave 3 years yeoman service. The battery had weakened ( less 'staying power') and was at 91% Health so I had it replaced, and the phone is now an 'operational spare' or for use of family or visiting guests on its own Apple ID & account. My wifes 8+ is approaching 2 years and just went to 98 % Battery Health a week ago. I couldnt say if there is a 99% or what the increments are as its really a non-concern. My 8+ being 5 months is a solid 100%.
Devices are charged if & when needed during the day, and overnight. Since her 8+ and our first exposure to QI, wireless has been the mainstay of all iPhone charging, cable charge for the iPads of course. Last few years we have used a 'Griffin Dual USB 12W charging block at each bedside, to power cable ( cloth covered,) to lightning connector for iPad, and to USB A for QI charging discs. Cabling is Griffin aa well.

As an aside, ( I can't really see it as being a factor, good OR bad) is that our nation's electricity is supplied at 50 cycle, 110V as opposed to the 60 cycle 120V used elsewhere. That can affect many things but electronics seem to 'know' and either work or do not work. Motors & things like clocks are another story though.

The climate here is tropical, generally mid 80's to low 90's daily year round, and only the bedroom is air conditioned to about mid to high 70's at night. For those outside the USA, temps in C here are up to 34 daytime ( average 30ish) and about 27 or so overnight. Definitely in the upper range an iPhone can be expected to see, with the exception of possibly Middle East or India

I simply say "so far so good"

Last edited:

mryan55

May 13, 2018
Visit site
Things have seemed to work as designed so far, but I am curious if anyone has also had this experience: when charging with an iPad charger or a bonafide USB-C quick charger the optimized battery charging works as intended when I plug in at night. However, for the last few nights I have been on the road and only with the 5W charger that was packed in with my iPhone X back in 2017. On the 5W charger the optimized charging never happens, even when starting the charge at the same time. The phone goes right to 100% without holding at 80% for any time. Anyone else notice this?

mryan55

May 13, 2018
Visit site
I just got the notice on my current phone for the first time today. I always charged wired though.

Are you using a 5W charger or something of the 'fast charging' variety? I only seem to have optimized charging when using a 12W iPad charger or greater...

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Are you using a 5W charger or something of the 'fast charging' variety? I only seem to have optimized charging when using a 12W iPad charger or greater...
In this case, it's the included 18W USB type C charger on the iPhone 11 Pro.

I also had it on my iPhone 6s with the 5W charger during the iOS beta period.

I believe it has to do with the necessary charge to fill the battery and the rate at which it charges.

mryan55

May 13, 2018
Visit site
Yes, all of that makes sense. Still getting used to it, I guess. I do suppose that on a 5W charger or an older wireless charger it has to leave a fairly wide berth to get the phone to 100% with some time to spare. Either way, good feature. Maybe it'll help the iPhone X battery stay alright for the next year since I will probably wait until next year for a new one!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Things have seemed to work as designed so far, but I am curious if anyone has also had this experience: when charging with an iPad charger or a bonafide USB-C quick charger the optimized battery charging works as intended when I plug in at night. However, for the last few nights I have been on the road and only with the 5W charger that was packed in with my iPhone X back in 2017. On the 5W charger the optimized charging never happens, even when starting the charge at the same time. The phone goes right to 100% without holding at 80% for any time. Anyone else notice this?

I haven’t had optimized charging yet, but maybe it’s because I always use the 5w charger while I am sleeping.

If optimized charging only works with quick charging, that probably explains why it doesn’t use optimized charging, since even faster Qi charging is still not quick charging.

I’ll change my overnight rig to a quick charger tonight and we’ll see what happens.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2