iOS 13 or 13.1

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Is email supposed to look like this with the folder and flag missing from the bottom? Trying restarting and no luck. Anyone else?FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Is email supposed to look like this with the folder and flag missing from the bottom? Trying restarting and no luck. Anyone else?View attachment 126893

You get a lot of options when you tap the arrow in the bottom right.
309842c58f4817baf5af406c0d5a487c.png

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Apparently apps were abusing being able to use bluetooth to track you and so yeah now they have to ask. Apparently also it has nothing to do with allowing say a video app to play sound over headphones for example.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The privacy rules have been tightened up by Apple in iOS 13.

This is a good thing - there is likely no reason at all why the "News 9" app needs to use Bluetooth. (To listen to audio in a news video, the system bluetooth will still work to send audio to headphones or a BT speaker without granting permission to the app.) Why would a news app need to connect to BT accessories? Why does it want to know when you are "nearby"? (That's likely the reason - they are tracking your location.)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This is a good thing - there is likely no reason at all why the "News 9" app needs to use Bluetooth. (To listen to audio in a news video, the system bluetooth will still work to send audio to headphones or a BT speaker without granting permission to the app.) Why would a news app need to connect to BT accessories? Why does it want to know when you are "nearby"? (That's likely the reason - they are tracking your location.)

The problem is many developers simply allow Apple to use the generic reason for their use of Bluetooth to track you. Pretty sure there's nothing nefarious about most. But they need to be more specific about why in the pop up. Here's an example of one with Dunkin Donuts. It doesn't tell you much.
775359ee45aac030ad5a2acda8c462e3.jpg

But these offer better reasons and makes sense.

8e7221fc71b53806023fb894fbf40b7c.jpg

b74fe039f2b6bd67604443c1894c46c9.jpg

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
The problem is many developers simply allow Apple to use the generic reason for their use of Bluetooth to track you. Pretty sure there's nothing nefarious about most. But they need to be more specific about why in the pop up. Here's an example of one with Dunkin Donuts. It doesn't tell you much.

One of the possible reasons is advertising in digital signage.

Since I'm in that field of work, I'll explain.

In the example above, you have the Dunkin app installed and you've allowed bluetooth access. You walk into your local Dunkin store. The kiosk in the store is also using bluetooth to look for the app. When your app "sees" this, it receives info from the kiosk and now you'll get a Dunkin notification of a special offer / discount code/ notification your favorite coffee or doughnut is ready / etc.

Lots of developers are requesting BT access now for this very reason and it's pretty neat. A local restaurant here uses it and when I walk in I get an app notification of all the Imperial Stout beers on tap.

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I have iOS 13 now on my new pro max, but it is very glitchy! I had the 13.1 beta on my Xs and it seemed pretty flawless.
I have tried to save some wallpapers from the Xs Max wallpaper thread and I soon as I hit save the iMore app force closes. It’s pretty frustrating.
Looking forward to 13.1 Tuesday.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
It has been fine for me so far despite a few bugs. Wonder why Apple released 13 so early if it wasn’t ready

Because they needed a version to ship with the iPhone 11/11 Pro/11 Pro Max. (That said, those could have shipped with 13 and they could have left older devices waiting for 13.1.)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR