Do I Ever Think About Switching To Android?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Every now and then someone will ask, “D, do you ever think about switching over to Android?” My answer is always the same....”Nope!”

Typically, they’d follow up with, “I can’t understand how you can use something that’s so limited”, and then I’ll respond with “It’s only limited if my needs exceed what it can provide and clearly that’s not the case or I would not be using an iPhone.”

After that, they’ll reply with, “I see your point......but”

It still amazes me how something I purchased with my own money and for my own use has an affect on someone else. That’s crazy, right?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Same here. Every now and then I miss Nova Launcher but not enough to go back.

Apple does what I need it to do and it just works.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Back in the day it was because Android OS sucked so bad with digital audio production apps. And people would exclaim, “Why would anyone do anything like that on a phone... Phones are for phone calls...” and “Real people use their desktop computers for stuff like that where all the pro software is”. I would respond, “Are you kidding me?”

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I switch back and forth because they’re different and I like to explore those differences as the technology develops.
I’m waiting for my Project red 128gb XR to arrive as that will be my next victim.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I switch back and forth because they’re different and I like to explore those differences as the technology develops.
I’m waiting for my Project red 128gb XR to arrive as that will be my next victim.
Same here. Right now I'm typing on a OnePlus 6T screen, with my iPhone X sitting in my bedroom. But I, too, hate people telling me what I should or should not do with my own money...

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It’s a personal choice! I’m happy with Apple but would never judge someone for choosing Android! My cousin has been lamenting that the rest of our family uses iPhones. She envy’s that we can connect so easily and is thinking about switching to an iPhone. I told her she needs do do what she’s comfortable with!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Apple does what I need it to do and it just works.

That's really what everyone should ask themselves once in a while. Once someone hesitates to say yes, a reconsideration is in order.

For example....my desktop computer has an Intel chip in it. Has been fine. Is still fine in almost all my use case. However, I am pursuing a degree in software development, and the capability of the CPU is in question with me. I am seriously considering changing sides to suit my needs. I would prefer to stick with Intel, but I won't hold myself back because of it.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
No, I always have an iPhone and Android phone. The main question is always what gets my SIM. And until there is a suitable competitor to the Apple Watch for Android, it’ll be the iPhone.

Humann

Jul 8, 2019
Visit site
I used Android phones for years before I got my iPhone 6s almost three years ago. Within the first 24 hours of using it, I found myself a wondering why the heck I waited so long to make the switch. Everything is so much more intuitive with the iPhone than with Android and it's been rock solid dependable. My gut tells me the upcoming iOS 13 update will likely be the last one for the 6s, so I will probably be looking at replacing it after iOS 14 comes out in another year or so but I won't even consider going back to Android. The question will be which iPhone model to choose.

Earlier this summer, I helped a friend choose a phone after her beloved iPhone 7 bit the dust and because of her budget, she went with an Android phone from LG. Ten days later, she returned it and got an iPhone XR because she couldn't stand the interface. She said everything she needed to do took twice as many steps as on the iPhone. and she didn't have time to try to learn a new interface.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
That's a very interesting question.

I've used Symbian, BlackBerry, Windows and Android mobile devices; but I've never used iOS devices. My reason has been since I've always used Windows and/or Linux desktop computers, but I've never used MacOS or even iTunes for Windows.

I'd be more open to iOS if I had an Apple desktop or notebook, but being a Windows/Linux user, I feel that Android is a better fit for me.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

Same here. Right now I'm typing on a OnePlus 6T screen, with my iPhone X sitting in my bedroom. But I, too, hate people telling me what I should or should not do with my own money...

Me three! I sold my iPhoneXR, and soon will sell my Samsung S10 Plus, for a OnePlus 7 Pro. I of course will take a look at and maybe buy one of the next iPhones in September. But what I'm more thinking about is getting a new Mac, but I'm waiting on them sorting out the keyboard issues, which I heard IS coming.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
You could think about doing that, I will not, I can’t say never because Apple could go the way of Blackberry, but they’ll probably last me..

davidnc

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I use both
I started out on Android , eventually started using apple.
I currently use 2 Android phones and 2 Apple phones at different times.
As far as what anyone thinks of me doing that doesn't affect me.
I do what makes me happy.
I bete test both on apple and android as well. :D

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
My Xr (Red edition) arrived.
Pretty nice! Fast. Face ID works flawlessly. Plenty of space for me with the 128gb model.
Might be a keeper! (Whatever that means)

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Use both. My first smartphone was a Palm Treo 700P in 2006. What a piece of junk!
Went to Blackberry and bought a 8GB iPhone in 2007 mainly because it had a speaker so I could play media without headphones! I did not get an Android until 2011 (Epic Touch 4G) but that started the era of having both, developing on both platforms and the rest is history. There are so many types to chose from. When Apple (finally) switched to OLED in 2017 with the X it really was a game changer. There is quite nothing like watching a movie in a pitch black room on an OLED display! Next up is the S11 next year with a 64MP sensor combining 4 pixels into 1 for a 16MP image. But pro mode allows a full 64MP image which in bright conditions at lower ISO (<250) could produce phenomenal images. The OnePlus 7+ has a 48MP sensor (12MP image) and has shed light on this. But SEC does it better. ;) I'm sure Apple will follow. 2020 should be a big update, this year's update is essentially a sidegrade and adding a wide angle lens, just typical jonesing as they say. The A13 should be pretty strong. Anyone that has a A12X equipped iPad Pro will tell you how fast and smooth it is! Perhaps A13 will get us 95% there performance wise without killing most of the battery by lunchtime. ;)

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm still amazed at how so many of you run into people that care this much. My phone choices literally never come up unless someone is asking questions about something they can't figure out on their device lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2