iOS 13 public beta on primary device

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It is buggy still, and I don’t think Apple should have released the public beta yet. That being said, I’ve been running it on my daily driver and I had more issues with beta 1. I would recommend waiting until at least the next beta update unless you’re comfortable navigating and using a phone with early software.

If you're not gonna beta test, and only want on the newest OS just for kicks, then I agree waiting for public beta 2 or later. But if one actually wants to beta test, then Apple wants your feedback now. For the "Thrill seekers", Apple did offer a warning.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
If you're not gonna beta test, and only want on the newest OS just for kicks, then I agree waiting for public beta 2 or later. But if one actually wants to beta test, then Apple wants your feedback now. For the "Thrill seekers", Apple did offer a warning.

Well said!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

It’s strange that they had the “thrill seekers” warning for dev beta 2 and when public beta 1 (dev beta 2) released this week the “thrill seekers” warning wasn’t there anymore.

How can the exact same beta build have that warning and a week later not have that warning? All I’m saying.

egrier65

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Same here. Every time I would make a phone call, it would drop about 30 seconds into the call. When I called the person back, it worked fine. About a day before I went back to 12.4, My battery would tank quickly. It showed that the home and lock screens were using the most battery. That was the last straw.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It’s strange that they had the “thrill seekers” warning for dev beta 2 and when public beta 1 (dev beta 2) released this week the “thrill seekers” warning wasn’t there anymore.

How can the exact same beta build have that warning and a week later not have that warning? All I’m saying.

Excellent question!

porier91

May 23, 2017
Visit site
Downloaded it the second I got home from work on my XS Max. No regrets. Battery has been great so far. No issues at all. Seems very stable for being a beta.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Same here. Every time I would make a phone call, it would drop about 30 seconds into the call. When I called the person back, it worked fine. About a day before I went back to 12.4, My battery would tank quickly. It showed that the home and lock screens were using the most battery. That was the last straw.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Will you be going for public beta 2?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

You should look at it chronologically.
When dev beta 2 was released, they weren’t sure if it would break more than it would fix, hence the warning.
A week later, after intensive testing, both internally and by devs, they deemed beta 2 to be safe to pushed out to the public. That’s why the warning isn’t there anymore.

In the few first weeks you’ll notice a significant delay (sometimes even up to a week) between the dev and public betas being released. This is all to make sure that public betas are relatively safe to be pushed out to the public.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I think that had more to do with the public beta being released at a later date than the dev beta. I think at that time, they wanted to point fingers and say, "We're talking to you!". LOL

cgordonn

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Running public beta 1 on my daily driver, XS Max. It's buggy, but no where near a disaster to use. The stock apps have issues, which are to be expected. Mail is a bit quirky syncing mail and Messages has some lag issues when selected Messages from the share sheet. Hey Siri doesn't work at all, it will acknowledge my "hey Siri", but won't do anything I ask it to. Siri voices won't download, nor does Hey Siri work with the new CarPlay interface. Third party apps have issues too. Fantastical gives me an occasional error, SmartNews is missing the control glyphs, Dunkin Donuts won't generate a QR code for payment. Annoyances, but not deal breakers. Apple will like push out public beta 2 sometime next week, so I can be patient.

staceymj86

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
Normally I jump on the beta train with my primary, but this year since I’m not upgrading my XS Max, I want to be surprised with iOS 13 and make my XS Max feel like a new phone, so I sitting out on the beta this year.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Running public beta 1 on my daily driver, XS Max. It's buggy, but no where near a disaster to use. The stock apps have issues, which are to be expected. Mail is a bit quirky syncing mail and Messages has some lag issues when selected Messages from the share sheet. Hey Siri doesn't work at all, it will acknowledge my "hey Siri", but won't do anything I ask it to. Siri voices won't download, nor does Hey Siri work with the new CarPlay interface. Third party apps have issues too. Fantastical gives me an occasional error, SmartNews is missing the control glyphs, Dunkin Donuts won't generate a QR code for payment. Annoyances, but not deal breakers. Apple will like push out public beta 2 sometime next week, so I can be patient.

That’s quite a few issues there! But yes I do believe it will be lot better with the next beta. I’m going to jump ship then.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Normally I jump on the beta train with my primary, but this year since I’m not upgrading my XS Max, I want to be surprised with iOS 13 and make my XS Max feel like a new phone, so I sitting out on the beta this year.

I understand but installing a beta should still feel like a fresh new start. At least that’s how I feel every year anyway lol.

lightning8888

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. I think that sounds prudent - I’ll probably wait for the next public beta, if I can succeed in restraining myself that long lol. Maybe another week or so?

I have it running on an Iphone 7 Plus and had a few bugs with email and apps closing which i consider minor inconveniences but been pretty stable to be a beta 2 i think. Dev Beta 2 and Public Beta 1 are the same right now from looking at software version numbers.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW