Apple is reported to be working on new App that combines Find My Friends and Find My iPhone apps...

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I just read this article written by Guilherme Rambo on 9 to 5 Mac: Apple revamping Find My Friends & Find My iPhone in unified app, developing Tile-like personal item tracking

I think this makes great sense to have both features combined into one App.
I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm also pleased by the reported development of the development of new hardware- a "Tile-like" device. Lord knows that I could use this. I currently use "Track-R" fobs and am less than impressed. I was anticipating purchasing a few Tile devices later this year, but I think I will hold up until I see what Apple comes up with.

What are your thoughts about this?

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I think combining the two apps is a horrible idea ! I have never used Find My Friends and have no need to stalk them. As for Find My Phone, I’ve played with it and it seems a good idea, I hope never to actually need it. As for a tile like thingy it reminds me of the story about the un-loseable golf ball ....

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
My husband and I have both used "Find my iPhone" to find our devices, which were left behind. Happily, we have successfully found them each time. We even help our cousin find hers, that had been left in a restaurant for three days (I can't imagine not knowing where my iPhone is for that long)! When she realized it was missing, she of course panicked. She used my husband's iPhone to find her iPhone. It was safe and sound in the restaurant's office.

I use "Find My Friends" when trying to meet up with my husband or family members. I started using it years ago when a group of friends was at a week-long convention. We were all spread out and when it came time to grab lunch or dinner, or whatever, we were able to find each other easily.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I think combining the two apps is a horrible idea ! I have never used Find My Friends and have no need to stalk them. As for Find My Phone, I’ve played with it and it seems a good idea, I hope never to actually need it. As for a tile like thingy it reminds me of the story about the un-loseable golf ball ....

Find my friends is a great app but it’s not automatic you need to send a request like an invite so it’s not a stalking app

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Clearly you don’t have kids . I’ve rescued many iPads and iPods from unsuspecting locations.
My wife and I have each other on Find Friends, not to stalk each other but for convenience purposes.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Clearly you don’t have kids . I’ve rescued many iPads and iPods from unsuspecting locations.
My wife and I have each other on Find Friends, not to stalk each other but for convenience purposes.

I have kids, admittedly there was no “Find My Phone” when they were at the lose everything including their brains stage,in those days if you remember, you phoned your phone, quickly before the battery ran out. Funnily enough their memories improved dramatically when they realised they weren’t getting a new phone till next birthday !

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have kids, admittedly there was no “Find My Phone” when they were at the lose everything including their brains stage,in those days if you remember, you phoned your phone, quickly before the battery ran out. Funnily enough their memories improved dramatically when they realised they weren’t getting a new phone till next birthday !

Aaaah good points. I should have specified “young” kids. Mine are 9 and 5 and they’d lose their heads if they weren’t attached.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I’m not sure I’ll get the Apple Tile version but the combining the 2 apps is awesome.
Aaaah good points. I should have specified “young” kids. Mine are 9 and 5 and they’d lose their heads if they weren’t attached.

Must be the paternal chromosomes at work

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've never used Find My Friends. I have used Find My iPhone. Not to find a phone, but to find my wife when she's traveling.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I've never used Find My Friends. I have used Find My iPhone. Not to find a phone, but to find my wife when she's traveling.

Well, while the Find My iPhone did the job for you, it’s only supposed to be used to find your own devices.
Find My Friends is for everything else, like your kids, significant other and parents.

I use it regularly to see where my parents are, before I head out to their house. Or when one of them doesn’t pick up the phone I check to see where they are.

My mother in turn checks regularly where I am at workdays, to set the dinner table when I’m en route.
There are many logical reasons to use the Find Friends app.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Well, while the Find My iPhone did the job for you, it’s only supposed to be used to find your own devices.
Find My Friends is for everything else, like your kids, significant other and parents.

I use it regularly to see where my parents are, before I head out to their house. Or when one of them doesn’t pick up the phone I check to see where they are.

My mother in turn checks regularly where I am at workdays, to set the dinner table when I’m en route.

Exactly

My favorite use is when I check on my GF and see she’s at a store I will text her to pick me up something

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I regularly use "Find my iPhone" regularly to make my phone or AirPods ring… because I always forget where they are.

As for "Find my Friends", I have used it in 2 different ways. One is to share my position with my friends when I need to go pick them to up to go somewhere, including notifying them when I'm like 500m from the meeting place. This gives them enough heads up to prepare themselves, and for me to concentrate on the road.
The other way I have used it is when I lost my iPhone 6 on my Peru trip. I had shared my position with a friend ahead of my trip, then we were able to use "Find my Friends" to track it like "Find my iPhone". Unfortunately, we were not able to find it. But it was definitely a good-to-have feature.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I probably would use Find My Friends for anyone other than my wife. But since I know her Apple ID, Find My iPhone works. Only used it a few times.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Like you, I’ve never used the Find My Friends feature. That’s a little creepy to me......but I’m not a kid or part of the generation who wants everyone to know everything. As for the Find My iPhone option, I definitely use it to primarily keep tabs on my remaining school aged son (teenager) on occasion. You know like when he tells me he’s going to be somewhere with his friends, but say it in a manner that sets off my inner parent alarm...(Laughing).

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I use Find My Friends all the time, I love it. It makes meeting friends in crowded busy area a snap, it helps my man and I keep track of each other when we have to drive separately, I love it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73