Is Apple’s So-Called Walled Garden a turn off or is it preferred?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Over the years, we’ve seen posts, articles and have heard people bemoan Apple’s walled garden, specifically in regard to iOS and the iPhone. Having said that, do you think people are turned off about it or is it preferred since it appears more people flock to the iPhone than away from it? Could it be that it’s not even a concern to iPhone owners and prospective buyers?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Over the years, we’ve seen posts, articles and have heard people bemoan Apple’s walled garden, specifically in regard to iOS and the iPhone. Having said that, do you think people are turned off about it or is it preferred since it appears more people flock to the iPhone than away from it? Could it be that it’s not even a concern to iPhone owners and prospective buyers?

People with more knowledge about computers and other operating systems are likely to be turned off by Apple’s walled garden at first but if they would give it a fair chance it’s more likely they will love it, or at least get used to it.

If you think about it with an open mind, you’ll realize that the walled garden approach gives Apple more power and tools to make their OS more secure than their competitors and that’s the strength of Apple.

I for one am 100% pro walled garden and hope Apple will not deviate from it any time soon without a better alternative.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't think either statement applies at this time. Smartphone sales are stagnating, since most people already have one (or more), and people are keeping their phones longer. For those who already have Apple products, the fact that they purchased from the App Store will keep them in the Apple ecosystem, whereas those who have already purchased Android phones will stay in the Android ecosystem since they purchased from Google Play Store.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

I personally think all OS’s are walled in gardens.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
People with more knowledge about computers and other operating systems are likely to be turned off by Apple’s walled garden at first but if they would give it a fair chance it’s more likely they will love it, or at least get used to it.

If you think about it with an open mind, you’ll realize that the walled garden approach gives Apple more power and tools to make their OS more secure than their competitors and that’s the strength of Apple.

I for one am 100% pro walled garden and hope Apple will not deviate from it any time soon without a better alternative.

I agree completely. I like the security the walled garden. In fact, I chose to enter it with a full understanding of the choice I was making.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
It’s both really. It’s a turn off in the sense that you have to buy fully into the ecosystem to get the most out of it. It’s an attraction in the way that it all works together so well. So it really is both.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Most people end up finding out there’s a lot you can do in a walled garden and most don’t get even close to smelling all the flowers that iOS blooms

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
For some things it’s preferred and for others it’s a turn off. Overall though, I prefer the “walled garden” because I know what I’m getting, I know I’ll have support for years (if I didn’t upgrade annually) and I know my experience will be consistent!

All wins in my book!

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
As a sophomore Apple user I reluctantly came over to the walled garden because I feared being locked down but was pleasantly surprised how everything works together in the ecosystem and now I appreciate it. I think it's both a turn off and preferred but a user's willingness to dive in and truly investigate the OS will ultimately help determine which approach best serves them.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Outside of the tech crowd, most people I come across don’t even know why they dislike Apple or Android devices. I really don’t think this is a thing for the vast majority.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I think most here are Apple enthusiasts, so I'll add to the discussion as a fringe customer of Apple's.

For someone like me, it is definitely a deterrent from getting very deep with Apple. IMO, the company's approach to computing is totalitarian and the inability to "play nice with others" is one of the things that kept me from going forward with Apple years ago.

I've had iPods, Airport Wi-Fi routers, MacBook Pro, and iPads over the years. Currently, it's an IPP 10.5 with pencil and that's it. Never owned an iPhone, though...

I think Apple makes some great hardware, but the way they do things just makes me uncomfortable. Almost apprehensive, tbh..

Last edited:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Outside of the tech crowd, most people I come across don’t even know why they dislike Apple or Android devices. I really don’t think this is a thing for the vast majority.

I think you are on to something here! I believe many people make choices based on what could be deemed as trendy, hip, and “in”.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
The Walled Garden is a necessary evil that enables everything to "just work". That is what caused Microsoft so many headaches was trying to support every driver, every program, and every piece of tech ever created. Windows machines worked great, until you went to use them! ...

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I think most here are Apple enthusiasts, so I'll add to the discussion as a fringe customer of Apple's.

For someone like me, it is definitely a deterrent from getting very deep with Apple. IMO, the company's approach to computing is totalitarian and the inability to "play nice with others" is one of the things that kept me from going forward with Apple years ago.

I've had iPods, Airport Wi-Fi routers, MacBook Pro, and iPads over the years. Currently, it's an IPP 10.5 with pencil and that's it. Never owned an iPhone, though...

I think Apple makes some great hardware, but the way they do things just makes me uncomfortable. Almost apprehensive, tbh..

I can agree with you on this point.

To me, I wouldn't want to. I came from a platform that is open, and I like the idea of not being restricted. The only tech I have owned outside of the old iPod is iPhones. The idea of having a Mac doesn't interest me, and neither does being locked in. I prefer things that work on ALL of my devices that I currently own versus having to buy new things that would work better apparently.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
My biggest issue with Apple's "walled garden" is they treat us like we are children rather than adults. For those who are more technically inclined, we don't need to have our hands held as we maneuver our devices. It's fine to have a walled garden for security, but also provide us with the opportunity to get our hands dirty if we would like. Allow us some level of customization to our devices. On other OS' you have the ability to circumvent security precautions if desired. Assign default apps and actions to third parties among other things.

For those individuals who are happy within the garden and have no need to alter things...it's great.
But give the rest of us the option to do more with the devices we spend our money on. It'd be much welcomed.

That said...I'm heavily invested in Apple. I enjoy it but I'm still with them primarily out of convenience. I've invested too much to deviate so I settle. They make amazing products but the conservative nature of Apple in their innovations can sometimes make me look over the fence and go, "Wow".

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I agree with many responders that Apple's walled garden can be a little oppressive at times. However, remember that the vast majority of users of any computer product these days are non-technical. They just want the product to do what they expect and work how they expect. My wife is a non-technical user of Android phones, for example. She is frustrated several times a week because something happens that she did not expect while using her phone. However, she won't try Apple devices because she is used to Android devices. I think she is typical of the majority of users.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2