Rating music-does it work?

linear2202

May 15, 2016
Visit site
I might be one of the few that likes to rate the songs in my music. I find this does not work in iOS 12 and frankly didn't work in iOS11. Does anyone else do this and does it work?

I have an ipod touch that i use and an iPhone XS. It does not work on either of them. I open the app, I can rate the music. Then I got back and look. The rating is missing. The rating is not present because when I sync back to iTunes the rating is missing there too.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I’m an Music subscriber and for me, the star ratings work without issue.
I use my iPhone and iTunes on the computer to rate songs and it does carry over almost instantaneously.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
So I have a question about this because I do not subscribe to Apple Music.

When you rate a song, does that mean that you hear it more or less depending on your rating? Years ago, I used to do this when I would listen to Yahoo Music and iHeart Radio. If I really liked a song, I'd rate it highly. And more frequently, if I really disliked a song or group, I would rate them poorly in hopes of never having to hear the song or the group again.

So in iTunes or Apple Music, is it the same? I have created playlists of songs that I've purchased on iTunes. Some songs I like better than others, but obviously, there are none that I dislike because I've paid money for them. So by rating my favorites higher than others, does this mean I will hear them more frequently?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So I have a question about this because I do not subscribe to Apple Music.

When you rate a song, does that mean that you hear it more or less depending on your rating? Years ago, I used to do this when I would listen to Yahoo Music and iHeart Radio. If I really liked a song, I'd rate it highly. And more frequently, if I really disliked a song or group, I would rate them poorly in hopes of never having to hear the song or the group again.

So in iTunes or Apple Music, is it the same? I have created playlists of songs that I've purchased on iTunes. Some songs I like better than others, but obviously, there are none that I dislike because I've paid money for them. So by rating my favorites higher than others, does this mean I will hear them more frequently?

No, the ratings are simply a data point for the song in iTunes and the Music app. You could, though, create a smart playlist in iTunes of all 4 and 5 star rated songs, so only those songs will appear in the playlist. Because it is a smart playlist, as you rate more songs with 4 or 5 stars, they would automatically add to that playlist.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
No, the ratings are simply a data point for the song in iTunes and the Music app. You could, though, create a smart playlist in iTunes of all 4 and 5 star rated songs, so only those songs will appear in the playlist. Because it is a smart playlist, as you rate more songs with 4 or 5 stars, they would automatically add to that playlist.

Thanks for the great explanantion!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

And that’s exactly how I use ratings.
Thanks for posting this.

linear2202

May 15, 2016
Visit site
I’m an Music subscriber and for me, the star ratings work without issue.
I use my iPhone and iTunes on the computer to rate songs and it does carry over almost instantaneously.

I don't use iTunes to rate songs, it's always on my mobile device. But when I check I never see the rating. Wonder what my problem is then. The ipod touch has been factory reset as well at one point but this never helped.

I'm not an apple music subscriber. Wonder if that matters for some reason.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't use iTunes to rate songs, it's always on my mobile device. But when I check I never see the rating. Wonder what my problem is then. The ipod touch has been factory reset as well at one point but this never helped.

I'm not an apple music subscriber. Wonder if that matters for some reason.

I’m not sure if changes made on the iPhone are carried over to iTunes or that it is a one way sync.

I didn’t care much for star ratings before Music came out.

Hopefully someone else with more insight will reply soon.

linear2202

May 15, 2016
Visit site
I’m not sure if changes made on the iPhone are carried over to iTunes or that it is a one way sync.

I didn’t care much for star ratings before Music came out.

Hopefully someone else with more insight will reply soon.

It used to work. I have rated nearly all of my music on the device first and then it sync to itunes. It just stopped working at some point. One of the point releases in iOS 11 I believe.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative