Anyone let their Apple devices create their password for them?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
So we have this "Suggested Password" feature on our iOS devices. Anyone use it? Hows it worked for you? Any issues?

Every time my device suggests a password, I consider using it for a brief moment but then revert back to choosing my own. It's not that I don't want a more secure password, but my issue is, what happens if I'm somewhere and I don't have my phone? I'll never remember this password. Or the sites that I access on my work computer (that isn't signed into my personal iCloud account)...now I won't be able to access these sites unless I do so from my personal equipment or have these passwords written down. Seems like more of a hassle but maybe I'm overthinking it. Or maybe there's an easier solution to this problem?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I don’t use it, but that’s because I use 1Password to create my passwords. If you let your device create your password and you use iCloud Keychain it shouldn’t be an issue. I’d still rather use 1Password since it’s cross platform. LastPass is as well. You can’t go wrong with 1Password or LastPass.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I've used it once, on an app that I use rarely; and, so far so good. But I'd be a bit leery about using it for something that "really matters"!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Another 1Password user here. I use it to create complex passwords on the fly.

......but my issue is, what happens if I'm somewhere and I don't have my phone?

Really? And the likeliness of that happening is......?

Just asking. :)

Statistically speaking, you're more likely to leave the house naked than without your mobile device.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So we have this "Suggested Password" feature on our iOS devices. Anyone use it? Hows it worked for you? Any issues?

Every time my device suggests a password, I consider using it for a brief moment but then revert back to choosing my own. It's not that I don't want a more secure password, but my issue is, what happens if I'm somewhere and I don't have my phone? I'll never remember this password. Or the sites that I access on my work computer (that isn't signed into my personal iCloud account)...now I won't be able to access these sites unless I do so from my personal equipment or have these passwords written down. Seems like more of a hassle but maybe I'm overthinking it. Or maybe there's an easier solution to this problem?

I’ve used the suggested password on a few occasions and it works pretty well.

The passcodes I create for myself are just as random, but that’s what I prefer. Besides, that’s what a password manager app is for. All I have to do is remember the password to access the app.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Statistically speaking, you're more likely to leave the house naked than without your mobile device.

Well we never think about it happening until...well...until it happens.

The more likely scenario is the other one I mentioned. Using my work computer, which I intentionally don't link my personal Apple ID information to, and needing to access a personal account via the web browser. I'd imagine I'm able to retrieve my password via the "Accounts and Passwords" settings menu so it's not the end of the world. Just an extra step is all.

On another note, since I have the cellular enabled on my Apple Watch, I've left home without my phone far more times than previously lol. My Watch and AirPods are ALWAYS with me lol.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I don’t use it, but that’s because I use 1Password to create my passwords. If you let your device create your password and you use iCloud Keychain it shouldn’t be an issue. I’d still rather use 1Password since it’s cross platform. LastPass is as well. You can’t go wrong with 1Password or LastPass.

Right...but this is on your personal devices that you link your Apple ID/iCloud to. This isn't so much the case for anyone who uses an institution device and prefers not to link their iCloud information to it.

I haven't yet gone the path of having my Password managers create passwords for me. Guess I'm a dinosaur. I prefer knowing my password rather than relying on an app to give me one and retrieve it. Guess all of that factors into my hesitation to using the Suggested Passwords feature. But I think I'm going to give it a shot.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I use it when I'm in a hurry, then later I'll copy it into dashlane. Mostly use Dashlane though.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I prefer to make my own custom passwords loosely based on my life experiences that solely apply to me but I throw in a variable to make them impossible to hack

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've been creating my own for years. I use a system that helps me remember many of them, and have had no issues. I keep the 150+ passwords in 1Password. Many are also in Keychain.

oladob

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

I tend to let 1password do the password suggestion for me as I can access 1 password from my phone or watch or can download the app onto any computer so I have access whenever I need it. Also when 1 password does the suggesting and you save your entry in 1 password, it prompts you to save to iCloud as well and you then have it in both places then.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Nope. I discovered a while back that that if you transliterate my accent, you end up with an unbreakable mishmash that I somehow remember.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site

I regularly forget my phone, but there again if I don’t have my phone I don’t need any passwords either !

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox