Is iOS still the best?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I think iOS is far better than anything else is out there because of accessibility features and customization. I used text to speech’s Alex voice to read a paragraph to one of my Google-ite friends. Their mouth dropped open, commenting that it was the most lifelike speech voice they’ve ever heard. They didn’t even know how to go about accomplishing the same on their Droid.

Customization? iOS?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
iOS is still my choice of smartphone OS. It's not as customizable as Android OS, but that's okay because when I was using Android devices, I customized them with every rom available and I was NEVER satisfied. I was always searching for the perfect fit for 'me' and I found it with iOS.

iwoodland

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I like iOS because I like what the phone does. I don’t want to spend hours customising it I just want to use it. I use it for satnav, controlling my vacuum, heating, lights, Alexa. It is a tool for doing stuff. I don’t want to spend hours on mods etc.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Ahh. Don’t use them so I don’t know much about them.
Glad to know they are building such features into smartphones though.

Apple has been big on accessibility features since as far back as I can remember with my first Mac... and on iOS for a long time also. Not really anything new for Apple. There is some really cool stuff there under the hood to play with.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Apple has been big on accessibility features since as far back as I can remember with my first Mac... and on iOS for a long time also. Not really anything new for Apple. There is some really cool stuff there under the hood to play with.
Yup. I did a little reading up on it. Looks like Android has followed suit also though I don't know how they compare. A good thing if you ask me.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I love both OS's but for different reasons. I came from Android and was nearly going to go iPhone originally with the 3GS and then Verizon and Google announced the "OG Droid" which had Google Maps with a free GPS navigation. That along with input from various tech friends who'd used the earlier Android model from HTC pushed me to go that route instead. Since then the major features are really there in both now in 2019, just the implementations differ. What really sets them apart is the little things now. Huge privacy focus with Apple, endless customization on Android, etc. Yes there is the "OS version installed on X% of devices" disparity on Android but to really compare that properly someone should compare Pixel/etc. (i.e. direct from Google) devices vs. iPhone.

For me, iOS is currently my best option. I briefly debated going back to Google for a bit before WatchOS 5 was announced with the EKG stuff. Since I have known issues that would make that useful I instantly knew I was getting one and knew it would really lock me in to Apple for the foreseeable future. At this point the only way I'd switch would be if Watch became a stand alone capable device or could sync with Android (not going to happen of course) or if Google WearOS device arrived with equivalently capable HR and EKG capabilities. It would take more than a FitBit type watch with that stuff. I won't go back to a straight FitBit Charge type device, and I want native OS apps not FitBit maintained apps like on their smartwatches.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I be am using the new iOS 13 on public beta. Can customize screen now on this. Like it a lot
Dark mode took getting used to and am liking it. IOS 13 is great

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
I am in a slightly odd (though not unique) position in which I used to have the iPhone 4 until 6s before switching to a Samsung S7 Edge. I also have an iPad Pro 2017 for work.

I like iOS, and it was unquestionably superior to Android until about 3 years ago (in my humble opinion). Since then however, Android has surged ahead.

Many people will say it’s not quite as secure (which is true) but I would say that Google Pixel and Samsung Galaxy phones are pretty much on par in terms of security due to their Titan M and Samsung Knox security chips/software.

I much prefer the freedoms, appearance and extra features that Android offers over iOS, despite it coming at a (slight) cost in ease of navigation...customisation is one area where iOS noticeably lags behind.

To clear things up, Google DOES use your data BUT you can control what data they receive and share more easily than most people think. On the flip side, Apple doesn’t ask for much of your data, which results in inferior helpful apps (ahem Siri)...whilst Google may demand more but in return the services are much more useful in helping you along your daily routines.

Speed wise, both are fast and fluid (high end models). I still prefer using my iPad for work over an Android tablet..but I have to say, the Files app is a complete mess. Hope Apple fixes that and adds more computer-like features with iPad OS.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am in a slightly odd (though not unique) position in which I used to have the iPhone 4 until 6s before switching to a Samsung S7 Edge. I also have an iPad Pro 2017 for work.

I like iOS, and it was unquestionably superior to Android until about 3 years ago (in my humble opinion). Since then however, Android has surged ahead.

Many people will say it’s not quite as secure (which is true) but I would say that Google Pixel and Samsung Galaxy phones are pretty much on par in terms of security due to their Titan M and Samsung Knox security chips/software.

I much prefer the freedoms, appearance and extra features that Android offers over iOS, despite it coming at a (slight) cost in ease of navigation...customisation is one area where iOS noticeably lags behind.

To clear things up, Google DOES use your data BUT you can control what data they receive and share more easily than most people think. On the flip side, Apple doesn’t ask for much of your data, which results in inferior helpful apps (ahem Siri)...whilst Google may demand more but in return the services are much more useful in helping you along your daily routines.

Speed wise, both are fast and fluid (high end models). I still prefer using my iPad for work over an Android tablet..but I have to say, the Files app is a complete mess. Hope Apple fixes that and adds more computer-like features with iPad OS.

Excellent post @Golurk, but I have to disagree on one item - “Apple doesn’t ask for much of your data, which results in inferior helpful apps (ahem Siri).”

Granted, Siri isn’t on par with Alexa, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t helpful, and that goes for any of Apple’s apps. Inferior? Yes to some people and no to others.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
iOS will do for me, I don’t feel the need to fiddle with the way things work, an app either does or doesn’t work, if not I delete them.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
Excellent post @Golurk, but I have to disagree on one item - “Apple doesn’t ask for much of your data, which results in inferior helpful apps (ahem Siri).”

Granted, Siri isn’t on par with Alexa, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t helpful, and that goes for any of Apple’s apps. Inferior? Yes to some people and no to others.

Fair enough...I can’t speak for everyone (thanks for pointing that out). I do find that Google Assistant is ahead in most aspects (in my opinion) and Google apps and assistant are well connected for ease-of-use.

I guess I’m quite frustrated with Apple for the lack of progress with Siri..when it was released, it was very advanced for its time and genuinely useful. But after years of more or less being left alone, Siri might be still competent but I feel that its potential has been wasted...instead of continuing to be a trend-setter it has fallen behind Google Assistant, Amazon Alex, heck, even Bixby has caught up and expanded with Bixby Vision. At least it’ll always be ahead of Cortana.

Just my opinion :)

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I guess I’m quite frustrated with Apple for the lack of progress with Siri..when it was released, it was very advanced for its time and genuinely useful. But after years of more or less being left alone, Siri might be still competent but I feel that its potential has been wasted...instead of continuing to be a trend-setter it has fallen behind Google Assistant, Amazon Alex, heck, even Bixby has caught up and expanded with Bixby Vision. At least it’ll always be ahead of Cortana.

Just my opinion :)

I can see this from both viewpoints.
One of the reasons Alexa and Google are more “advanced” with what they can do is because they are more invasive. I’m not sure that’s a good thing. While I want an assistant that is helpful, I don’t want it knowing everything about me. It’s a compromise.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
I can see this from both viewpoints.
One of the reasons Alexa and Google are more “advanced” with what they can do is because they are more invasive. I’m not sure that’s a good thing. While I want an assistant that is helpful, I don’t want it knowing everything about me. It’s a compromise.

I agree. Tech giant has more of your data = more invasive = more useful services

Less data = less invasive = less useful services

It’s the risk vs reward dilemma...depends on the individual.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods