Is iOS still the best?

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Once upon a time, iOS used to be the best mobile OS in many ways. By far. In a time when Android was full of bugs and unexpected behaviour, iOS was flawless and trustworthy. In a time when Android had a horrible battery life, iOS was able to make even smaller cells live longer. In a time when Android was utterly ugly, iOS was beautiful and charming. Just to stay in a few elements.

The point is: after some years using only iPhones I received, some days ago, a brand new OnePlus 6T McLaren and, man, it really touched me. The gadget per se is simply astonishing. And Android really progressed some worlds since the last time I used it. The OS is no more laggy, buggy, ugly. Actually it's very beautiful and organized. Speed is, at worst, par with IPhone's. App store is much more organized now and the Assistant... Well, Siri had to put yourself in a hole to mitigate her shame. The experience I'm having right now is, indeed, very, very pleasant. I'm really surprised.

No, I cannot consider make it my daily driver because I don't want Google spying on me every single minute of my life. To put and Android in our pocket is the same to put a spy itself in it. And I don't want that. But, using the 6T last few days made me wonder how much Apple need to improve its iOS system in so many ways. Putting it side by side with the 6T (almost stock Android) just show how much Google's OS progressed while iOS stopped in time. Definitely there are so many ways to make OS better, and as Fuchsia (new Google OS) get closer to substitute Android, I really think it's time to Apple begin to make some serious work in iOS renovation. What do you think about it?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In regard to Apple needing to make some changes to iOS, I agree. Since the focus with iOS 12 was to make it super stable, fast and work smoothly on all supported devices, Apple hopefully is laying the foundation for what ‘may be’ a redesign with iOS 13. We see in about 6 months when the first iOS 13 dev beta should drop.

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. I do think that, from a high level, Android has progressed while iOS has more or less stayed the same in many ways. If you look at a home screen from an early iteration of iOS it’s not a whole lot different than it is today. They’ve given in a few new coats of paint but it’s still rows of icons with a dock at the bottom with more icons. It’s not difficult to argue that Android sorely needed to move forward in order to stay relevant while iOS has pretty much always worked smoothly.
I was curious what an old home screen really looked like in comparison and thought it was interesting. I posted it below.

iOS 4:
05ee94dd83a67c1ea502e22c8fbf56a8.jpg

iOS 12:
eb2b427c596db1a0a8617b34b43018a7.jpg

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
The iOS launcher is basically the same since the 2007 version. 11 years I think is too much time to maintain the same basic aspect, without any major change. But I really don't expect any major revamp in this aspect in iOS 13, unfortunately.

I agree that the work for a more stable OS made in 12 version was a great and welcomed one, but... Google was able to make its OS more stable (stock version, clear on that) AND more functional. That multitasking with possibility to resample windows is a must have, and that peer-to-peer function is just great. How can I come back to iPhone now without these two functions post-holidays is something that concerns me. I'm getting really addicted to it. I'm sure Apple is able to introduce that and another functionalities in iOS without sacrificing stability. It's just a matter of targets.

Right now I'm really afraid Android is a better OS, which is a tragedy for me, since to give all my life to Google to make money with it is not an option. Hope Apple can close the gap sooner than later. And we still have that Fuchsia on a two-three year horizon... I expect Apple is preparing yourself to fight it properly when it arrives.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
First, there is no best. There is only what is best for you or me at the time.
I do agree that iOS has not changed greatly over the years. It needs a new look, a new direction. Right now I believe they both (Android and iOS) offer pretty much equal experiences though in a different manner. It becomes a personal choice.
I just bought a used Moto G6 to play around with. Haven’t used an Android phone in a couple years. I can see the improvements that have been made.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
First, there is no best. There is only what is best for you or me at the time.
I do agree that iOS has not changed greatly over the years. It needs a new look, a new direction. Right now I believe they both (Android and iOS) offer pretty much equal experiences though in a different manner. It becomes a personal choice.
I just bought a used Moto G6 to play around with. Haven’t used an Android phone in a couple years. I can see the improvements that have been made.
You're right, I used "best" wrongly here. I just couldn't find a better word.

Fact, the evolution of Android is simply amazing! I can only wonder where iOS would be had it evolved in the same speed. Using the 6T right now (with fake Google account) and the more I use it the more I like it. And not just because of the hardware, but because of the OS as well. Gestures, for example, is still better implemented on iOS, but the simply fact Android had copied it so well eliminated the greatest iPhone's-only have, at least for my needs. Really impressed with this Android 9...

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
And respectfully speaking. I have to laugh when I hear which seems to be a lot, and not just this thread. “Google is spying on you”.
I am sure to some degree Apple is doing the same thing.
Anytime you start browsing the web, or having your location services enabled for certain apps, you’re putting yourself out there.
I guess, I am in the minority of those who do not have a problem with Google.
My plan as I have always said, is to stay with IOS, since it just plain works for me, and I am also engrained in the ecosystem.
I also at some point hopefully come Springtime, will like to invest in a Mac.
With that said. I do agree they need to step up their game.
The OS DEFINITELY is stale, and needs a complete redesign with more flexibility on the home screen etc.
Happy New Year everyone.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
And respectfully speaking. I have to laugh when I hear which seems to be a lot, and not just this thread. “Google is spying on you”.
I am sure to some degree Apple is doing the same thing.
Anytime you start browsing the web, or having your location services enabled for certain apps, you’re putting yourself out there.
I guess, I am in the minority of those who do not have a problem with Google.
My plan as I have always said, is to stay with IOS, since it just plain works for me, and I am also engrained in the ecosystem.
I also at some point hopefully come Springtime, will like to invest in a Mac.
With that said. I do agree they need to step up their game.
The OS DEFINITELY is stale, and needs a complete redesign with more flexibility on the home screen etc.
Happy New Year everyone.
Everyone knows what is important for himself. No, Apple doesn't play Google's game in the same degree. It isn't even close to that. But I got your point. If, for you, Google's way to make money is not a problem, good for you. Really, no sarcasm here. For me, it's unacceptable, nothing less than that.

Have a nice New Year, too.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is iOS still the best? In my opinion, yes it is. Does it need a refreshed look? Sure does, but again, that’s my opinion.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Everyone knows what is important for himself. No, Apple doesn't play Google's game in the same degree. It isn't even close to that. But I got your point. If, for you, Google's way to make money is not a problem, good for you. Really, no sarcasm here. For me, it's unacceptable, nothing less than that.

Have a nice New Year, too.

No doubt that Android was designed in such a way as to collect data and monetize that data. Google have come a long way though to help protect users without which they would not make money.

Apple on the other hand makes money other ways which we don’t have to get into in this thread.

In the end it is the end user, no matter what operating system they are using, who best determines their level of security.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, for me I’ve never thought iOS was the best, there was a time though when iPhones had the best cameras in smart phones. However, that time has passed. I only begrudgingly bought an iPhone 4 to try it and the stability of it with the screen clarity, and even the fluidity of iOS is what kept me on iPhone. I’ve had at least one Android phone every year on the latest version of Android and have experienced the progression first hand. Overall I prefer Android as an OS, but iOS just has that great stability and I still think many apps look and feel better on iOS. What it all boils down to is that I would like see Apple take a lot of cues from Android and really revamp iOS. One thing that would help a lot for me is adding an app drawer of some kind. Let me get rid of the home screen icons.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I don’t know what’s the “best” but no matter what else I use, no matter how much I love it, I get a warm and fuzzy feeling when I see that  logo on the boot screen.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Once upon a time, iOS used to be the best mobile OS in many ways. By far. In a time when Android was full of bugs and unexpected behaviour, iOS was flawless and trustworthy. In a time when Android had a horrible battery life, iOS was able to make even smaller cells live longer. In a time when Android was utterly ugly, iOS was beautiful and charming. Just to stay in a few elements.

The point is: after some years using only iPhones I received, some days ago, a brand new OnePlus 6T McLaren and, man, it really touched me. The gadget per se is simply astonishing. And Android really progressed some worlds since the last time I used it. The OS is no more laggy, buggy, ugly. Actually it's very beautiful and organized. Speed is, at worst, par with IPhone's. App store is much more organized now and the Assistant... Well, Siri had to put yourself in a hole to mitigate her shame. The experience I'm having right now is, indeed, very, very pleasant. I'm really surprised.

No, I cannot consider make it my daily driver because I don't want Google spying on me every single minute of my life. To put and Android in our pocket is the same to put a spy itself in it. And I don't want that. But, using the 6T last few days made me wonder how much Apple need to improve its iOS system in so many ways. Putting it side by side with the 6T (almost stock Android) just show how much Google's OS progressed while iOS stopped in time. Definitely there are so many ways to make OS better, and as Fuchsia (new Google OS) get closer to substitute Android, I really think it's time to Apple begin to make some serious work in iOS renovation. What do you think about it?

You do realize that Apple allows apps to spy on you as well, right? Apple is no better with privacy than Google/Android.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
You do realize that Apple allows apps to spy on you as well, right? Apple is no better with privacy than Google/Android.
Apps maybe. But it's up to me to decide which apps I put in my device. Problem, for me, is the OS spy on you. My concerns is not about hackers or apps developers. I can defend myself against them. Problem, for me, is Google itself. If I have an Android there's no way I can deny it to collect my data. That, as far as I read and researched about, Apple and iOS doesn't do. If it does, please post here some links that I can read about.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I beg to differ.
Apps have far less rights on iOS than Android and can only gather that much information as you allow them to.
Android have progressed a lot in this matter last few years. Now I have a pretty complete control over apps permissions. That's really good. But, again: I can control what data apps can access. But Android give me absolutely nothing to say about data Google itself collects. That's the problem, IMHO.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Apps maybe. But it's up to me to decide which apps I put in my device. Problem, for me, is the OS spy on you. My concerns is not about hackers or apps developers. I can defend myself against them. Problem, for me, is Google itself. If I have an Android there's no way I can deny it to collect my data. That, as far as I read and researched about, Apple and iOS doesn't do. If it does, please post here some links that I can read about.

Go on the internet any way you want; a computer, an iPhone, an Android phone, whatever and you are connecting to a worldwide network that has the potential to spy on you. They will get your data.
Google uses your interests/data to steer advertisers to you. They don’t sell your data. If they did it would no longer be valuable to them. They are, though, a big part of this issue.
The only way to get away from this in our technologically advanced society is to hide in the woods. If you think any one of these companies cares about you or your privacy I have a bridge to sell you.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Go on the internet any way you want; a computer, an iPhone, an Android phone, whatever and you are connecting to a worldwide network that has the potential to spy on you. They will get your data.
Google uses your interests/data to steer advertisers to you. They don’t sell your data. If they did it would no longer be valuable to them. They are, though, a big part of this issue.
The only way to get away from this in our technologically advanced society is to hide in the woods. If you think any one of these companies cares about you or your privacy I have a bridge to sell you.
Bridge... It sounds good!

Again, personal assumptions like this I read a million times. But I really would like to read something more substantial. News, analysis, some data and graphics about privacy problems with iOS and Apple. There's a lot of it about Google, FB and likes, but I really couldn't find anything about Apple. I would love to read something about it, and them I'll be able to assume Apple and Google are the same, and that Cook's conversation about charge more for Apple's gadgets as a way to guarantee profit without sell or explore our data will implode completely.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, in any matter. Actually I opened this thread exactly because I'm convinced, right now, that lately Google made a better job in it's OS than Apple did. I just couldn't find, yet, concrete facts to convince myself that even my thousand plus dollars iPhone are not a viable option to, at least, mitigate in some degree my privacy concerns. It's my life, it's my data. I would like to, at least, opt to give it to somebody who will make money with it. Just it. I know today nobody cares about it. I know today everybody is happy opening your life to the world via FB, Instagram, Snapchat and likes. But, unfortunately, I'm not this kind of person.

Again, I would love to read something concrete about Apple selling my data like Google and FB does. Then I'll live in the mountains. I like it more than the woods

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Bridge... It sounds good!

Again, personal assumptions like this I read a million times. But I really would like to read something more substantial. News, analysis, some data and graphics about privacy problems with iOS and Apple. There's a lot of it about Google, FB and likes, but I really couldn't find anything about Apple. I would love to read something about it, and them I'll be able to assume Apple and Google are the same, and that Cook's conversation about charge more for Apple's gadgets as a way to guarantee profit without sell or explore our data will implode completely.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, in any matter. I just couldn't find, yet, concrete facts to convince myself that even my thousand plus iPhone are not a viable option to, at least, mitigate in some degree my privacy concerns. It's my life, it's my data. I would like to, at least, opt to give it to somebody who will make money with it. Just it. I know today anybody cares about it. I know today everybody is happy opening your life to the world via FB, Instagram, Snapchat and likes. But, unfortunately, I'm not this kind of person.

Again, I would love to read something concrete about Apple selling my data like Google and FB does. Then I'll leave in the mountains. I like it more than the woods

Again, Google doesn’t sell your data. Advertisers say they want their ads pointed towards people with certain interests. So if you are interested in fishing, you will get ads about fishing equipment, etc. Google didn’t sell your data to the fishing equipment company, they sent an advertisement to you. There’s a big difference.
To me me it was Androids security and inability to protect you from apps stealing your data that always worried me, but they have become much better at that. Ultimately, you are the one that decides how secure you are, not Google or Apple.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Again, Google doesn’t sell your data. Advertisers say they want their ads pointed towards people with certain interests. So if you are interested in fishing, you will get ads about fishing equipment, etc. Google didn’t sell your data to the fishing equipment company, they sent an advertisement to you. There’s a big difference.
To me me it was Androids security and inability to protect you from apps stealing your data that always worried me, but they have become much better at that.
Fact. In this matter Android is much, much better nowadays. Your concerns seems to be resolved, mainly, in the 7.0 version, as I read about.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh