I be am using the new iOS 13 on public beta. Can customize screen now on this. Like it a lot
    Dark mode took getting used to and am liking it. IOS 13 is great
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    07-08-2019 01:29 AM
    I am in a slightly odd (though not unique) position in which I used to have the iPhone 4 until 6s before switching to a Samsung S7 Edge. I also have an iPad Pro 2017 for work.

I like iOS, and it was unquestionably superior to Android until about 3 years ago (in my humble opinion). Since then however, Android has surged ahead.

Many people will say it’s not quite as secure (which is true) but I would say that Google Pixel and Samsung Galaxy phones are pretty much on par in terms of security due to their Titan M and Samsung Knox security chips/software.

I much prefer the freedoms, appearance and extra features that Android offers over iOS, despite it coming at a (slight) cost in ease of navigation...customisation is one area where iOS noticeably lags behind.

To clear things up, Google DOES use your data BUT you can control what data they receive and share more easily than most people think. On the flip side, Apple doesn’t ask for much of your data, which results in inferior helpful apps (ahem Siri)...whilst Google may demand more but in return the services are much more useful in helping you along your daily routines.

Speed wise, both are fast and fluid (high end models). I still prefer using my iPad for work over an Android tablet..but I have to say, the Files app is a complete mess. Hope Apple fixes that and adds more computer-like features with iPad OS.
    Just_Me_D and TgeekB like this.
    08-03-2019 07:19 AM
    I am in a slightly odd (though not unique) position in which I used to have the iPhone 4 until 6s before switching to a Samsung S7 Edge. I also have an iPad Pro 2017 for work.

I like iOS, and it was unquestionably superior to Android until about 3 years ago (in my humble opinion). Since then however, Android has surged ahead.

Many people will say it’s not quite as secure (which is true) but I would say that Google Pixel and Samsung Galaxy phones are pretty much on par in terms of security due to their Titan M and Samsung Knox security chips/software.

I much prefer the freedoms, appearance and extra features that Android offers over iOS, despite it coming at a (slight) cost in ease of navigation...customisation is one area where iOS noticeably lags behind.

To clear things up, Google DOES use your data BUT you can control what data they receive and share more easily than most people think. On the flip side, Apple doesn’t ask for much of your data, which results in inferior helpful apps (ahem Siri)...whilst Google may demand more but in return the services are much more useful in helping you along your daily routines.

Speed wise, both are fast and fluid (high end models). I still prefer using my iPad for work over an Android tablet..but I have to say, the Files app is a complete mess. Hope Apple fixes that and adds more computer-like features with iPad OS.
    Excellent post @Golurk, but I have to disagree on one item - “Apple doesn’t ask for much of your data, which results in inferior helpful apps (ahem Siri).”

Granted, Siri isn’t on par with Alexa, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t helpful, and that goes for any of Apple’s apps. Inferior? Yes to some people and no to others.
    08-03-2019 11:36 AM
    iOS will do for me, I don’t feel the need to fiddle with the way things work, an app either does or doesn’t work, if not I delete them.
    08-03-2019 11:41 AM
    Excellent post @Golurk, but I have to disagree on one item - “Apple doesn’t ask for much of your data, which results in inferior helpful apps (ahem Siri).”

Granted, Siri isn’t on par with Alexa, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t helpful, and that goes for any of Apple’s apps. Inferior? Yes to some people and no to others.
    Fair enough...I can’t speak for everyone (thanks for pointing that out). I do find that Google Assistant is ahead in most aspects (in my opinion) and Google apps and assistant are well connected for ease-of-use.

I guess I’m quite frustrated with Apple for the lack of progress with Siri..when it was released, it was very advanced for its time and genuinely useful. But after years of more or less being left alone, Siri might be still competent but I feel that its potential has been wasted...instead of continuing to be a trend-setter it has fallen behind Google Assistant, Amazon Alex, heck, even Bixby has caught up and expanded with Bixby Vision. At least it’ll always be ahead of Cortana.

Just my opinion
    08-03-2019 11:53 AM
    “Best” is subjective. Currently, it fits my needs!
    This here
    Annie_8plus and nikkisharif like this.
    08-04-2019 11:18 AM

I guess I’m quite frustrated with Apple for the lack of progress with Siri..when it was released, it was very advanced for its time and genuinely useful. But after years of more or less being left alone, Siri might be still competent but I feel that its potential has been wasted...instead of continuing to be a trend-setter it has fallen behind Google Assistant, Amazon Alex, heck, even Bixby has caught up and expanded with Bixby Vision. At least it’ll always be ahead of Cortana.

Just my opinion
    I can see this from both viewpoints.
    One of the reasons Alexa and Google are more “advanced” with what they can do is because they are more invasive. I’m not sure that’s a good thing. While I want an assistant that is helpful, I don’t want it knowing everything about me. It’s a compromise.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    08-04-2019 12:33 PM
    This here
    I agree. This is an excellent assessment.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    08-04-2019 01:28 PM
    I can see this from both viewpoints.
    One of the reasons Alexa and Google are more “advanced” with what they can do is because they are more invasive. I’m not sure that’s a good thing. While I want an assistant that is helpful, I don’t want it knowing everything about me. It’s a compromise.
    I agree. Tech giant has more of your data = more invasive = more useful services

Less data = less invasive = less useful services

It’s the risk vs reward dilemma...depends on the individual.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    08-04-2019 02:21 PM
    Yes.
    Tartarus likes this.
    09-15-2019 12:12 PM
    The gap is seriously closing. An Apple fan that has had both since the beginning.

I just wish Apple would let us place apps or folders wherever we want on the damn home screen! The little things...
    TgeekB and ThePinkChameleon like this.
    09-15-2019 07:16 PM
    The gap is seriously closing. An Apple fan that has had both since the beginning.

I just wish Apple would let us place apps or folders wherever we want on the damn home screen! The little things...
    I don’t care about that. I can customize it as much as I like. I want stability and performance. In my experience that means I want an iPhone.
    FFR and tekjunkie28 like this.
    09-15-2019 08:09 PM
    Yes, iOS is still the best for ‘me’!....
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    09-15-2019 08:16 PM
    I don’t care about that. I can customize it as much as I like. I want stability and performance. In my experience that means I want an iPhone.
    Have you ever owned anything other than an iPhone?
    09-15-2019 08:55 PM
    I have to agree.
    What used to be two completely different OS’s are now much more similar. That’s what happens over time.
    09-15-2019 08:55 PM
    Have you ever owned anything other than an iPhone?
    Yes. BlackBerry. Blackberry 10. Palm OS. Palm web os. Windows OS. Meego. Sailfish. Android. And iOS. Good enough?
    flyinion likes this.
    09-16-2019 12:05 AM
    Lol, I guess.
    09-16-2019 07:37 PM
    Being I am ancient and have been around the smartphone industry from the early days. I along with many folks out there started out on the original Blackberry OS.

I also went the Android route in the early days with my Nexus One and remember rooting it and flashing the CyanogenMod ROM and it worked very well for me for a while.

I eventually went out and bought the first Apple phone 2G model and learned IOS which was much different then Blackberry or Android back then.

Then Blackberry OS10 came out and I bought one of the first ones sold by T Mobile in my area. I loved the gesture concept and the file management system. I was sad to see them dropped the system and move to Android.

In the end it has always come down to what works best for your needs. I have folks who have known me for years and ask me what makes me keep using IOS and I keep telling them the same thing. Because it just works!! Period.

Most of the women I know use Apple IOS and the simplicity is what keeps them buying Apple iPhones and their products. That along with one of the best warranties and tech support in business.

That’s why Apple has become one of the largest companies in the world. Forget about the fanboy image stuff I here folks preach out on the different forums. You don’t get where Apple has by a fanboy image.

It’s because they provided a product the consumer asked for and have made billions doing just that. Call it what you want, I call it an American success story that’s not finished yet.
    TgeekB, grover5, Just_Me_D and 1 others like this.
    10-04-2019 06:03 PM

That’s why Apple has become one of the largest companies in the world. Forget about the fanboy image stuff I here folks preach out on the different forums. You don’t get where Apple has by a fanboy image.

It’s because they provided a product the consumer asked for and have made billions doing just that. Call it what you want, I call it an American success story that’s not finished yet.
    Truth.
    10-04-2019 06:47 PM
    Stability, performance, security, and the Apple ecosystem did it for me.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    10-05-2019 07:12 AM
    Stability and performance are not two words that I would associate with the current iOS. 13.1.2 still too buggy for my liking. If this had been my first experience with iOS I’m not sure I would have stuck it out. Hoping for some fixes soon.
    10-14-2019 01:41 PM
    Stability and performance are not two words that I would associate with the current iOS. 13.1.2 still too buggy for my liking. If this had been my first experience with iOS I’m not sure I would have stuck it out. Hoping for some fixes soon.
    It certainly seems to be more buggy than usual. Nothing that has caused me any distress but creating a lot of chatter. One thing you can be assured of is it will be fixed.
    Golurk likes this.
    10-14-2019 04:58 PM
    It suits all my needs, so I say yes.
    10-14-2019 05:16 PM
    One thing you can be assured of is it will be fixed.
    I do believe that they will I’m just spoiled from the days when they would release a more stable version instead of pushing it out to make a time line.
    10-14-2019 05:35 PM
    I do believe that they will I’m just spoiled from the days when they would release a more stable version instead of pushing it out to make a time line.
    For many of us, iOS 13 has been very stable. Sure there have been quirks here and there, but not anything worth getting upset about, in my opinion. Heck, I’d argue that many of those who were complaining about various issues were doing so because of the money shelled out on their new iPhone, i.e, I just spent $1,000 on this device and my Instagram app isn’t working after updating to iOS x.x? What the heck!....(laughing)
    taz323 likes this.
    10-14-2019 05:56 PM
84 1234