I be am using the new iOS 13 on public beta. Can customize screen now on this. Like it a lot
    Dark mode took getting used to and am liking it. IOS 13 is great
    07-08-2019 12:29 AM
    I am in a slightly odd (though not unique) position in which I used to have the iPhone 4 until 6s before switching to a Samsung S7 Edge. I also have an iPad Pro 2017 for work.

I like iOS, and it was unquestionably superior to Android until about 3 years ago (in my humble opinion). Since then however, Android has surged ahead.

Many people will say it’s not quite as secure (which is true) but I would say that Google Pixel and Samsung Galaxy phones are pretty much on par in terms of security due to their Titan M and Samsung Knox security chips/software.

I much prefer the freedoms, appearance and extra features that Android offers over iOS, despite it coming at a (slight) cost in ease of navigation...customisation is one area where iOS noticeably lags behind.

To clear things up, Google DOES use your data BUT you can control what data they receive and share more easily than most people think. On the flip side, Apple doesn’t ask for much of your data, which results in inferior helpful apps (ahem Siri)...whilst Google may demand more but in return the services are much more useful in helping you along your daily routines.

Speed wise, both are fast and fluid (high end models). I still prefer using my iPad for work over an Android tablet..but I have to say, the Files app is a complete mess. Hope Apple fixes that and adds more computer-like features with iPad OS.
    Just_Me_D and TgeekB like this.
    08-03-2019 06:19 AM
    I am in a slightly odd (though not unique) position in which I used to have the iPhone 4 until 6s before switching to a Samsung S7 Edge. I also have an iPad Pro 2017 for work.

I like iOS, and it was unquestionably superior to Android until about 3 years ago (in my humble opinion). Since then however, Android has surged ahead.

Many people will say it’s not quite as secure (which is true) but I would say that Google Pixel and Samsung Galaxy phones are pretty much on par in terms of security due to their Titan M and Samsung Knox security chips/software.

I much prefer the freedoms, appearance and extra features that Android offers over iOS, despite it coming at a (slight) cost in ease of navigation...customisation is one area where iOS noticeably lags behind.

To clear things up, Google DOES use your data BUT you can control what data they receive and share more easily than most people think. On the flip side, Apple doesn’t ask for much of your data, which results in inferior helpful apps (ahem Siri)...whilst Google may demand more but in return the services are much more useful in helping you along your daily routines.

Speed wise, both are fast and fluid (high end models). I still prefer using my iPad for work over an Android tablet..but I have to say, the Files app is a complete mess. Hope Apple fixes that and adds more computer-like features with iPad OS.
    Excellent post @Golurk, but I have to disagree on one item - “Apple doesn’t ask for much of your data, which results in inferior helpful apps (ahem Siri).”

Granted, Siri isn’t on par with Alexa, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t helpful, and that goes for any of Apple’s apps. Inferior? Yes to some people and no to others.
    08-03-2019 10:36 AM
    iOS will do for me, I don’t feel the need to fiddle with the way things work, an app either does or doesn’t work, if not I delete them.
    08-03-2019 10:41 AM
    Excellent post @Golurk, but I have to disagree on one item - “Apple doesn’t ask for much of your data, which results in inferior helpful apps (ahem Siri).”

Granted, Siri isn’t on par with Alexa, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t helpful, and that goes for any of Apple’s apps. Inferior? Yes to some people and no to others.
    Fair enough...I can’t speak for everyone (thanks for pointing that out). I do find that Google Assistant is ahead in most aspects (in my opinion) and Google apps and assistant are well connected for ease-of-use.

I guess I’m quite frustrated with Apple for the lack of progress with Siri..when it was released, it was very advanced for its time and genuinely useful. But after years of more or less being left alone, Siri might be still competent but I feel that its potential has been wasted...instead of continuing to be a trend-setter it has fallen behind Google Assistant, Amazon Alex, heck, even Bixby has caught up and expanded with Bixby Vision. At least it’ll always be ahead of Cortana.

Just my opinion
    08-03-2019 10:53 AM
    “Best” is subjective. Currently, it fits my needs!
    This here
    Annie_8plus and nikkisharif like this.
    08-04-2019 10:18 AM

I guess I’m quite frustrated with Apple for the lack of progress with Siri..when it was released, it was very advanced for its time and genuinely useful. But after years of more or less being left alone, Siri might be still competent but I feel that its potential has been wasted...instead of continuing to be a trend-setter it has fallen behind Google Assistant, Amazon Alex, heck, even Bixby has caught up and expanded with Bixby Vision. At least it’ll always be ahead of Cortana.

Just my opinion
    I can see this from both viewpoints.
    One of the reasons Alexa and Google are more “advanced” with what they can do is because they are more invasive. I’m not sure that’s a good thing. While I want an assistant that is helpful, I don’t want it knowing everything about me. It’s a compromise.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    08-04-2019 11:33 AM
    This here
    I agree. This is an excellent assessment.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    08-04-2019 12:28 PM
    I can see this from both viewpoints.
    One of the reasons Alexa and Google are more “advanced” with what they can do is because they are more invasive. I’m not sure that’s a good thing. While I want an assistant that is helpful, I don’t want it knowing everything about me. It’s a compromise.
    I agree. Tech giant has more of your data = more invasive = more useful services

Less data = less invasive = less useful services

It’s the risk vs reward dilemma...depends on the individual.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    08-04-2019 01:21 PM
59 123