What is Dark Mode?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There isn’t a “dark mode” option on the iPhone at this time. Having said that, there is an “smart invert” setting in the Accessibility settings that will give you somewhat of a dark mode. The below screenshot doesn’t do it any justice. When it’s in smart invert mode, the screen is actually dark, unlike the screenshot.

IMG_0136.jpg

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Dark mode means that instead of the main color scheme being against a white background, it allows the user to switch to it being on a dark/black background.

On MacOS you can do that on Mojave now. You can see how it looks here: https://www.apple.com/macos/mojave/#mn_p

For a long time, people have advocated for that on iOS as well, particularly now that Apple sells OLED displays, which have slight power advantages when showing black pixels vs color. But, with the exception of that smart invert feature, there is not yet an official iOS dark mode option. Many third party apps support a dark mode, however.

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank you both for the wonderful explanations. Wow, it’s very different. I imagine it helps with battery life...

I can’t use it because it would be impossible to write a Wordpress post.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I tried it on Mojave and I prefer it off.
However, on a mobile with AMOLED display it only makes sense to have it ON by default.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
On my iMac, ( Mojave) it's a real eyesaver. The 'innards' run a shade cooler too. I use temperature monitoring software having had a hard drive issue in the past, so I can easily see that all monitored functions run 2-5 degrees cooler. Gotta be a plus for energy use as well as screen longevity

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Nope, it doesn't exist on the Apple iPhones. Apple is a MEAN company for not having a real Dark Mode...LOL

Hoping that since  seem to be trending that more commonality between iOS & Mac OS is the way of the future, a choice to use a proper 'dark mode' will happen in iOS in due course. I'd suspect ( based only on my iMac experience with it), that it would be a battery life bonus as well as being easier on the eyes really at any time of day. IMHO The 'invert colours' /'smart invert' options make a mess of too many things to be useful.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hoping that since  seem to be trending that more commonality between iOS & Mac OS is the way of the future, a choice to use a proper 'dark mode' will happen in iOS in due course. I'd suspect ( based only on my iMac experience with it), that it would be a battery life bonus as well as being easier on the eyes really at any time of day. IMHO The 'invert colours' /'smart invert' options make a mess of too many things to be useful.

Boy, aint that the truth

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
If you really want to experience the dark mode on your iPhone using a jailbreak tweak is the bets option

One thing to keep in mind about jailbreaking. It's a personal choice, of course. However, if someone decides to jailbreak their iPhone, they need to know that doing so will void Apple's warranty.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind about jailbreaking. It's a personal choice, of course. However, if someone decides to jailbreak their iPhone, they need to know that doing so will void Apple's warranty.

This is not true. Jailbreak is 100% reversible. Revert back to stock IPSW and you have support.

Of course with no untethered jailbreak on modern releases, its point is moot IMHO.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
This is not true. Jailbreak is 100% reversible. Revert back to stock IPSW and you have support.

Of course with no untethered jailbreak on modern releases, its point is moot IMHO.

You’re only complementing the post you just quoted.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

Not to beat a dead horse, but let’s say the phone does get damaged while jail broken, with no way to revert to stock official iOS non-jail broken. Apple won’t repair your device, because you have voided your warranty.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods