Shortcuts App (share and help)

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
About time this thread was created.

I am terribly ashamed to admit that I don’t really know how to work the new Shortcuts app.
This thread may prove to be useful for me and hopefully a lot of others.

wolfee48

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Another member posted this link in a different thread: shortcutsgallery.com

Open link on device browser to have best experience and to add shortcuts to your device.

But I agree with Tartarus, it is a task to get familiar with how they work.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I started posting tips in another thread so if the Mods can move them here it would be helpful.

I’m slowly learning by trial and error and finally built my first shortcut from the ground up but there are a lot of templates out there that you can use and just re-formulate it for your needs.

Just getting use to Setting Variables and input actions and the Magic Wand took me over a week but it’s starting to make sense now

Here’s the Thread I posted shortcut links in
The iOS 12 Shortcuts app is now in the App Store, in case you’re wondering.
https://forums.imore.com/showthread.php?t=406788

Flashlight
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/fa241499163a47e68d9e40759e772fb6

Discount Calculator
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/3d796bcc7118423fa8542d0db4acdb5c

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

I am terribly ashamed to admit that I don’t really know how to work the new Shortcuts app.

Same Halil....I was so frustrated I just tucked away the app in one of my folders and gave up.

Hopefully the tips and tricks other share will make it a simpler task to create shortcuts.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
It is really convent to have scripting on iOS. Workflow was great, but now that its an Apple app the integration is much better.

The best way to learn is grab some from the Gallery and play around with them.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It is really convent to have scripting on iOS. Workflow was great, but now that its an Apple app the integration is much better.

The best way to learn is grab some from the Gallery and play around with them.

I am doing that. I added a few.
And I learned you can pull up the share options to add it to the home screen.
This app is now so much better.
Thanks.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Don’t be ashamed. I haven’t used the app either, so I’m sure I’ll get a lot from this

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I am working on one now that grabs sunrise/sunset times and adjusts the brightness on my phone accordingly. I’ll use that in conjunction with my in the car script.

linear2202

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Two requests for me.

1. Trying to get it set up so i can send a text to someone and then open google maps at my location. I have the text part but can't seem to get the maps to open after I send a text. Not possible?
2. Where is the Measurements and Convert section? I searched and couldn't find it. I have upgraded the shortcuts app to 2.1

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm no huge expert at this, but...

Two requests for me.

1. Trying to get it set up so i can send a text to someone and then open google maps at my location. I have the text part but can't seem to get the maps to open after I send a text. Not possible?

Do an action "Get Current Location"
Follow up with "Show in Maps", and choose "Google Maps" as the Maps app. (It did ask to confirm that I wanted to open Google Maps the first time that I ran the shortcut. After that, it seemed to open Google Maps. Not sure if it would be different with Apple Maps.)

2. Where is the Measurements and Convert section? I searched and couldn't find it. I have upgraded the shortcuts app to 2.1
There is a search box for all of the actions, so you should be able to search, but they are under the "Scripting" section when I search for them.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR