Shortcuts App (share and help)

linear2202

May 15, 2016
Visit site
So, perhaps this is way to simple, can I set up shortcuts to just launch apps like Launch Center Pro? I was just trying to create an shortcut to launch an app but couldn't see how this was done easily.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
So, perhaps this is way to simple, can I set up shortcuts to just launch apps like Launch Center Pro? I was just trying to create an shortcut to launch an app but couldn't see how this was done easily.

There is a shortcut action called "Open App" that does just this. Create a new shortcut, search for the action "Open App", drag it to the shortcut. Tap the "Choose app", choose the app that you want. Tap the control top right that looks like two sliders and change the name to what you want, and have it add to the widget (if you want) or to the home screen (if you want, though why in this case you'd do that I don't know.)

Is this what you are looking for?

linear2202

May 15, 2016
Visit site
There is a shortcut action called "Open App" that does just this. Create a new shortcut, search for the action "Open App", drag it to the shortcut. Tap the "Choose app", choose the app that you want. Tap the control top right that looks like two sliders and change the name to what you want, and have it add to the widget (if you want) or to the home screen (if you want, though why in this case you'd do that I don't know.)

Thanks. I should have figured that out. Guess I didn't search for app when I should have.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I don't see how this is any shorter than just tapping the desired app icon.

Larry_F

Jan 15, 2018
Visit site
I've created a shortcut to perform some actions followed by placing a call, and put an icon on my home screen to run the shortcut. I did end the shortcut with an Exit Shortcut action after the Call, but I'm not sure whether this is needed at the end of the shortcut or not. When I run the shortcut from the home screen, everything works and the call is placed, but when I end the call I am left on the Library page of the Shortcuts app. Is that normal? I would really prefer to be left on the home screen where I tapped the shortcut icon.

Larry

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I'm not the person who asked for this, but imagine instead that you want to turn on Do Not Disturb and then open your podcast app, so that the phone will not interrupt as you are listening with notifications. Or something like that. Easily done with a shortcut.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I have read a lot of this thread and have yet to understand why I should need Shortcuts at all !! Perhaps someone can point me to an article which can explain to an older man whose eyesight is no longer good and who has two hands full of large thumbs,why exactly he needs to super-complicate an operating system that is already complicated enough !

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
If you need help with a shortcut, then post the iCloud link so we can take a look.

As for why do you need shortcuts? You don't, but I have automated my life with them and can't stop.

For example, I have one that I run first thing in the morning that turns off DND, sets my volume low, runs a script to set specific reminders to keep me on schedule in the morning, then opens my meditation app to my current meditation.

then later in the morning I run one that gets the weather, my schedule, top news headlines, birthdays and sends a birthday wish, the NFL scores/ upcoming games and then asks if I want to see the following days schedule.

then when I am ready to drive to work, I have one that determines the time it will take to get to the office, asks if I want podcasts, music or an audio book, then opens nav ready for me to go.

after work I have one that sends my wife my ETA home, sends her a random love message, asks what audio I want for the ride and sets up Nav.

Then right before bed, I have one that sets DND, gets me the forecast for the next day, runs my goodnight HomeKit scene to close up the house, then opens my sleep meditation.

So in the end it saves me lots and lots of steps.

I also have over 100 other shortcuts that I use but, I have issues and can't stop writing new ones.

Last edited:

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I have read a lot of this thread and have yet to understand why I should need Shortcuts at all !! Perhaps someone can point me to an article which can explain to an older man whose eyesight is no longer good and who has two hands full of large thumbs,why exactly he needs to super-complicate an operating system that is already complicated enough !

No one needs shortcuts but I find them as a means of doing daily routines as well as a way to customize my device.

I believe shortcuts are in its Infancy and learning the basics now will help prepare us for the real reason Apple paid what they did for Workflow.

linear2202

May 15, 2016
Visit site

I personally don't like having lots of folders with different apps, nor do I wants lots of screen to swipe through. I also like my home screen to have fewer app icons so I can see pictures of my boy. I could create a second screen with one app to view the whole picture, but the home screen could be improved that way.
Shortcut allow me two taps to get to any app. Much better.
I could swip down and then type, but it's not the greatest thing. Not uncommon to have the keyboard not appear or I don't type correctly.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I personally don't like having lots of folders with different apps, nor do I wants lots of screen to swipe through. I also like my home screen to have fewer app icons so I can see pictures of my boy. I could create a second screen with one app to view the whole picture, but the home screen could be improved that way.
Shortcut allow me two taps to get to any app. Much better.
I could swip down and then type, but it's not the greatest thing. Not uncommon to have the keyboard not appear or I don't type correctly.

I don't know if it works on the X style iPhones, but on my 6s Plus, I can leave the first screen empty and put icons on the 2nd, 3rd and etc screens. Have you tried that?

linear2202

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Ya. I have. Right now, I have two rows of apps on my first screen, then the folder stuff on a second screen. I mess around with my home screen some just to see other ways that might work better. Similar issues though. Scrolling to the right to find an app, or digging into a folder and then having to screen in the folder. Still would have to search the same way via home screen pulling down. Keyboard doesn't always come up. My wife has like 6 screens full of apps. Drives me crazy but it works for her, so that's fine.

jonny247

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member