Shortcuts App (share and help)

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Add me to the list for those who have not used Shortcuts. I understand the concept and potential benefits having used Tasker, AutomateIT, and Llama on Android. Glad that the app is available, though. At this time perhaps my daily routine is simple enough that I've yet to feel the need to use or create a Shortcut.

This is a good thread, and appreciate those who are posting ideas. Maybe I'll see something that sparks my interest at some point.

linear2202

May 15, 2016
Visit site
I'm no huge expert at this, but...

Do an action "Get Current Location"
Follow up with "Show in Maps", and choose "Google Maps" as the Maps app. (It did ask to confirm that I wanted to open Google Maps the first time that I ran the shortcut. After that, it seemed to open Google Maps. Not sure if it would be different with Apple Maps.)

There is a search box for all of the actions, so you should be able to search, but they are under the "Scripting" section when I search for them.

I got this working. Thank you. Took me awhile to get the output of the temperature conversion to display, but eventually got it.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
A shortcut to turn Wi-Fi off completely so that every time i try to use Safari or Mail for example, the connect to WiFi popup does not appear.

Go to Settings
Go to Wi-Fi
Toggle Wi-Fi to Off

I imagine the above high level logic could be mixed in with other Shortcuts like "Leave Home", or "Arrive Home" where I do want Wi-Fi set to On.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I played around with it when it was called Workflow, but ended up deleting the app because it didn’t become part of my normal usage routine. After seeing this thread, I’ll give it another go and see how things progress.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
A shortcut to turn Wi-Fi off completely so that every time i try to use Safari or Mail for example, the connect to WiFi popup does not appear.

Go to Settings
Go to Wi-Fi
Toggle Wi-Fi to Off

I imagine the above high level logic could be mixed in with other Shortcuts like "Leave Home", or "Arrive Home" where I do want Wi-Fi set to On.

This is trivial in Shortcuts - easier than what you describe. There is an action called "Set WiFi" with a toggle for off or on. (And, yes, this toggles the radio off, not disconnect from the current access point.)

(Also, you can do this with Siri without a shortcut anyway, so not sure what the Shortcut buys you other than the speaking.)

fullsizeoutput_42bc.jpeg

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The update to Shortcut App 2.1 has a bug so if you have any shortcuts that use the Flashlight function your shortcut will error out

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I’ve set up a handful of shortcuts, but used them on maybe one or 2 occasions....it seems to be very helpful if you need multitasking from one command to another but I just don’t use my X like that to be on that level productive lol.

So I’ve deleted my shortcuts & the app as well. Maybe at another point in time I may try it out, but not for now

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
This is trivial in Shortcuts - easier than what you describe. There is an action called "Set WiFi" with a toggle for off or on. (And, yes, this toggles the radio off, not disconnect from the current access point.)

(Also, you can do this with Siri without a shortcut anyway, so not sure what the Shortcut buys you other than the speaking.)

View attachment 124937

Thanks, good to see.

I searched the Gallery and didn't find a result for "Wi-*" and for the results from "Wi" did not see anything relevant. Then from the Create Shortcut a search for "Wi" did return the "Set WiFi". Created one for On and one for Off. I tried to add a Location filter next, but was only able to select the City level, so did not add a Location to either Shortcut.

I have not used Siri frequently, and prefer to use the type option, but need to remember to toggle the Silent switch to On. When out and about, have been surprised by her loud reply as I have on occasion forgotten to set the Silent switch to On before typing.

Last edited:

linear2202

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Looking to automate the following

This is what I normally do to give you an idea.
Hold down on the web url in my twitter app. When the share sheet comes up, select email (this puts the link in the email, then type in a specific email address to send it to onenote.

If I can automate that, it would be cool. Hold down on the link, when the share sheet comes up, I can select the shortcut which would:

add the link to an email
add my email address to the "to" line
send the email.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Looking to automate the following

This is what I normally do to give you an idea.
Hold down on the web url in my twitter app. When the share sheet comes up, select email (this puts the link in the email, then type in a specific email address to send it to onenote.

If I can automate that, it would be cool. Hold down on the link, when the share sheet comes up, I can select the shortcut which would:

add the link to an email
add my email address to the "to" line
send the email.

So, that's pretty simple. (You can make it more complicated.)

Open the Shortcuts app. Tap "Create Shortcut". Tap the control top right that looks like two toggle switches. There you can name your shortcut ("Send to OneNote" maybe?) and turn on the control "Show in Share Sheet". Change "accepted types" to "URLs" only. Tap "Done".

Then add the action "Expand URL" (because twitter always shares shortened URLs that obfuscate who the tweet is from.). Then add the action "Send Email". The first time it will ask you for email credentials to your account. Fill that in, then (unless you want to alter the email before sending) turn off "Show compose sheet", set the "To" field to "me@onenote.com".

And, that's it.

IMG_0066.png

(Hid my own email address for obvious reasons.)

To use it, while viewing a tweet, you'd just hit the share control, tap shortcuts, and chose the shortcut from the list.

Ways to make it more complicated:

- create a subject line that is the current date/time
- create a subject line that is the first xx characters of the tweet, or the account name of the tweet, etc.
- allow more content types than just URLs, and test for a URL first before the first step to expand it.

linear2202

May 15, 2016
Visit site
So, that's pretty simple. (You can make it more complicated.)

Open the Shortcuts app. Tap "Create Shortcut". Tap the control top right that looks like two toggle switches. There you can name your shortcut ("Send to OneNote" maybe?) and turn on the control "Show in Share Sheet". Change "accepted types" to "URLs" only. Tap "Done".

Then add the action "Expand URL" (because twitter always shares shortened URLs that obfuscate who the tweet is from.). Then add the action "Send Email". The first time it will ask you for email credentials to your account. Fill that in, then (unless you want to alter the email before sending) turn off "Show compose sheet", set the "To" field to "me@onenote.com".

And, that's it.

View attachment 124979

(Hid my own email address for obvious reasons.)

To use it, while viewing a tweet, you'd just hit the share control, tap shortcuts, and chose the shortcut from the list.

Ways to make it more complicated:

- create a subject line that is the current date/time
- create a subject line that is the first xx characters of the tweet, or the account name of the tweet, etc.
- allow more content types than just URLs, and test for a URL first before the first step to expand it.

Many thanks for this. Works well. I would have not figured that out on my own.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Are there any written directions on how to create Shortcuts? Videos tend to go too fast and make it difficult to comprehend.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Are there any written directions on how to create Shortcuts? Videos tend to go too fast and make it difficult to comprehend.

Unfortunately I haven’t seen any just videos but if your a Reddit user the community helps other members go thru the process.

Go to Reddit and type in r/shortcuts

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I’ve only build one shortcut from the ground up but the shortcuts on Reddit have many templates that I got and reformulated for my personal needs and in turn I learned a lot

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
This is a great shortcut to pick Random teams.

Just enter all the names then choose up to five teams and the shortcut will pick the teams for you

af5451e18312f4aa99932302955e6413.jpg

578bd060fc8d382febe8b8678eb0f3cf.jpg

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/7dc9bc394fb84e84b736ed919d656e77

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I’ve only build one shortcut from the ground up but the shortcuts on Reddit have many templates that I got and reformulated for my personal needs and in turn I learned a lot

What, exactly, do you do to reformulate one? These things have so much info on them. It's confusing. I have the Social Media Video save, but can't figure how to use it. It says no url. So now what? How to get the url? And from where?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
What, exactly, do you do to reformulate one? These things have so much info on them. It's confusing. I have the Social Media Video save, but can't figure how to use it. It says no url. So now what? How to get the url? And from where?

When you get a shortcut you want to change you tap on the three dots inside the shortcut box while in the library and the formula will be presented and you can edit it by adding or subtracting Actions.

On the bottom you will see a Search and you can swipe up and see your Favorite actions or search the huge list of available actions and that’s where it gets tricky as you have to learn how to use the Magic Wand to link URLs if needed. As you build your shortcut you can run it by hitting play toggle in the top of your build page and see if it errors out.

ea579e01a50e5c1339ddd81fd33569b7.jpg

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods