Shortcuts: open app based on location

LP Slade

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
From what I can tell, it’s not possible to do what I’m looking for, but just checking here for confirmation.

I’d like for the LA Fitness app to launch when I arrive at a specified LA Fitness location. I’ve, of course, been able to set up the shortcut so that I can launch it from the Shortcuts widget, but I’d really like to just have it open or have a message box asking me to open it if my phone is locked when I arrive (like a location based reminder).

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
From what I can tell, it’s not possible to do what I’m looking for, but just checking here for confirmation.

I’d like for the LA Fitness app to launch when I arrive at a specified LA Fitness location. I’ve, of course, been able to set up the shortcut so that I can launch it from the Shortcuts widget, but I’d really like to just have it open or have a message box asking me to open it if my phone is locked when I arrive (like a location based reminder).

You’ll need to contact the app developer to find out if that’s possible. These features are app specific. I get popups anytime I go to certain stores, but everything was setup in the app. Hope this helps!

LP Slade

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
You’ll need to contact the app developer to find out if that’s possible. These features are app specific. I get popups anytime I go to certain stores, but everything was setup in the app. Hope this helps!

Yes. The same happens for me with Starbucks, etc. That’s not what I’m looking for, though. I’m talking about location-based actions set up through the new Shortcuts app.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I cannot find a way to have a shortcut launch based on geofencing. That would be pretty great, though. Here's hoping that maybe the Reminders app will someday allow launching a shortcut when you arrive or leave a specific location.

However, as I understand it, the app Launch Center Pro can create a notification based on location that can launch a workflow/shortcut. but you still have to tap the notification. I believe that a similar thing is possible with IFTTT. Anyway, see this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/workflow/comments/3x51da/can_workflow_be_triggered_based_on_location/

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Well, I "think" I saw a video where someone did something like this. But of course, I can't find it. :raised-eyebrow: I have spent the last hour or so trying to set up a shortcut to remind me to unforward my office phone when I arrive to work. Location is one of the options. But I'm not convinced it will work. I guess I'll know tomorrow, or perhaps today when I return from lunch! :rolleyes:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, I "think" I saw a video where someone did something like this. But of course, I can't find it. :raised-eyebrow: I have spent the last hour or so trying to set up a shortcut to remind me to unforward my office phone when I arrive to work. Location is one of the options. But I'm not convinced it will work. I guess I'll know tomorrow, or perhaps today when I return from lunch! :rolleyes:

In this case, I think you are better off with a regular Reminder set to remind you when you arrive at work. Or, "Hey Siri, remind me to unforward my phone when I arrive at work". But, you don't need to use the shortcut app for that. (The good thing about a Reminder like this is that if you never mark it complete, it will keep notifying you when you arrive at work.)

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes. The same happens for me with Starbucks, etc. That’s not what I’m looking for, though. I’m talking about location-based actions set up through the new Shortcuts app.

My bad! I missed that part about the Shortcuts app. I haven’t set it up yet, so I can’t speak to it. I hope you’re about to figure something out.

stuart langley

Jan 2, 2019
Visit site

That’s funny. I found this thread searching because I am trying to do the exact same thing. I built a shortcut that opens the app then starts my maps to take me to my LA Fitness in that order. This means. When I get there and close maps, the LA fitness app is right there, want to make it pop when I get there though and haven’t found a way yet.

All I can think is to have it create a notification that contains a link to the app that pops on geolocation for the gym. Then you can click to open

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner