Is anyone else getting irrtitated by Apple's iOS keyboard layouts?

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I normally use the Word Flow keyboard, but on rare occasions, I'll use the stock iOS keyboard. The one and only thing I've noticed since updating to iOS 12 that's irritated me like crazy is when I've used the keyboard while entering "strawberries" in the Weight Watchers app. Twice now I started typing the word in there and the word "strawberries" came up as the third option in the keyboard. However, when I clicked on that word, it would just enter "straw." I'm sorry, but I DO NOT eat straw!

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I normally use the Word Flow keyboard, but on rare occasions, I'll use the stock iOS keyboard. The one and only thing I've noticed since updating to iOS 12 that's irritated me like crazy is when I've used the keyboard while entering "strawberries" in the Weight Watchers app. Twice now I started typing the word in there and the word "strawberries" came up as the third option in the keyboard. However, when I clicked on that word, it would just enter "straw." I'm sorry, but I DO NOT eat straw!

I was bummed that Microsoft’s SwiftKey purchase and Word Flow death didn’t make SwiftKey more like Word Flow. An associate who lost a phone is really angry that he can no longer get Word Flow. My USB restore to new phone kept it with me but I use SwiftKey for it being supported and stability.

FYI to all. I might have said this before or in other posts. Some apps give you tremendous keyboard improvements. Excel as an example has a switch to numeric keyboard. Waze and WolframAlpha put numbers present with WolframAlpha even more symbols. Drafts - one that far more people should know and understand - has arrows to move around in text.

If I miss anything, it’s the style of one fingered typing Word Flow added and a keyboard app with an easy switch to numeric keypad.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
This is supposedly fixed in iOS 12.0.1 released today (10/8/18). (I haven't received it on my iPad yet. I did a manual install to my iPhone, but I'm waiting to see how long it takes to do a "automatic update".)

Off topic a little...Still waiting for the update on the iPad. I'm not sure the value of "automatic update". I'm still waiting to see how long it will take.

What's weird is that if I manually go into Settings / General / Software Update, it knows that there is an update, and there is a message at the bottom that says "iPad will try to install this update tonight". It's been saying that for days, but it never seems to try.

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Off topic a little...Still waiting for the update on the iPad. I'm not sure the value of "automatic update". I'm still waiting to see how long it will take.

What's weird is that if I manually go into Settings / General / Software Update, it knows that there is an update, and there is a message at the bottom that says "iPad will try to install this update tonight". It's been saying that for days, but it never seems to try.

I have an iPad Pro on beta and the keyboard layout didn’t change. On iPad 4th generation with the 12.0.1 update it did. Idk what’s going on there. Lol

BcNexus

Feb 24, 2019
Visit site
Is anyone else getting irrtitated by Apple's iOS keyboard layouts? In iOS 11, it was the undo key placement on the numeric entry; I keep hitting it unintentionally. Now in iOS12, the placement of the emoji key is right where the numeric/symbol key should be located when in landscape mode.

I wish there was a still an undo button on the keyboard: shake to undo is horriblly awkward and slow when you want to perform several undos in a row.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I wish there was a still an undo button on the keyboard: shake to undo is horriblly awkward and slow when you want to perform several undos in a row.

The stock iOS iPad keyboard has an undo button.
af177219963454bd070e9fbcb8700ec4.jpg

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Apart from the undo button illustrated above, I just hold down the delete button till I get to where I need to stop, and start again from there, how much do you normally need to undo anyway ?

sledge007

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Am I missing a setting for SwiftKey? It's virtually the same keyboard as iOS and that keyboard drives me bananas. I'm an Android user that just got an iPhone 8 through work and I am trying my hardest to have an open mind about it but between the keyboard and no T9 dialer, I'm losing patience and it's been a whole 10 days.

kcox52692

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
Am I missing a setting for SwiftKey? It's virtually the same keyboard as iOS and that keyboard drives me bananas. I'm an Android user that just got an iPhone 8 through work and I am trying my hardest to have an open mind about it but between the keyboard and no T9 dialer, I'm losing patience and it's been a whole 10 days.
I'm an Android user as well as iOS. Swiftkey isn't the same on iOS as Android. I like having the numbers above the keys. Neither the iOS Swiftkey nor stock iOS keyboard allows that.

That being said, I actually like the stock keyboard on my Galaxy S8. I'm getting an iPhone 7 in a few days and will have to settle for what's available.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I'm an Android user as well as iOS. Swiftkey isn't the same on iOS as Android. I like having the numbers above the keys. Neither the iOS Swiftkey nor stock iOS keyboard allows that.

That being said, I actually like the stock keyboard on my Galaxy S8. I'm getting an iPhone 7 in a few days and will have to settle for what's available.

I actually prefered the Samsung keyboard when I had my S9+.

I still can't stand the fact that iOS doesn't have the row of numbers on their keyboard, at least in the plus size phones. Heck eve on my iPad pro 10.5 it doesn't offer a row of numbers. Frustrating.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Heck eve on my iPad pro 10.5 it doesn't offer a row of numbers. Frustrating.

Well, the iPads have had the ability to use the flick feature to enter numbers and secondary characters on all keys since iOS 11 from the default ABC keyboard layout, so at least there is that.

kcox52692

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
Well, the iPads have had the ability to use the flick feature to enter numbers and secondary characters on all keys since iOS 11 from the default ABC keyboard layout, so at least there is that.
Granted, but still not as convenient as a number row.