GM or the Official Release?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To those of you who beta test iOS (whether dev or public), do you install the Gold Master shortly after the keynote or do you wait to install the official version on release day even though their the same version?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
To those of you who beta test iOS (whether dev or public), do you install the Gold Master shortly after the keynote or do you wait to install the official version on release day even though their the same version?

I install whatever is available OTA. I will not be deleting the profile.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

It’s all the same. GM is the official build that is given early to beta testers. Anybody is already on beta would be crazy to wait another week to load the same build.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

I’ve not run an official release since sometime in iOS 10 development.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I usually wait. NOT because I think there will likely be any changes, but simply because the Apple servers get slammed so waiting benefits me when I DO update.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'll be installing the GM. Then once the official release I'll be removing the beta profile. I have no interest in testing dot updates. I went with iOS 12 for the additional features. I may join the beta train again for iOS 13 if there's a compelling reason to do so.

Honestly, the only feature that I am continuously happy with in iOS 12 is the short code SMS being added to the keyboard. The Group Facetime feature is cool on paper but 1) I couldn't use it unless others were on the beta. (which I knew going in so I don't hold that against anyone) and 2) they removed the feature for a later release.

Memoji was cool for the first week or two but lets be honest...it's a gimmick with no real value and I could live without it.

So overall...I'm just not really interested in beta testing in the future. Unless there is a groundbreaking feature in iOS 13 that I just need immediately.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'll be installing the GM. Then once the official release I'll be removing the beta profile. I have no interest in testing dot updates. I went with iOS 12 for the additional features. I may join the beta train again for iOS 13 if there's a compelling reason to do so.

Honestly, the only feature that I am continuously happy with in iOS 12 is the short code SMS being added to the keyboard. The Group Facetime feature is cool on paper but 1) I couldn't use it unless others were on the beta. (which I knew going in so I don't hold that against anyone) and 2) they removed the feature for a later release.

Memoji was cool for the first week or two but lets be honest...it's a gimmick with no real value and I could live without it.

So overall...I'm just not really interested in beta testing in the future. Unless there is a groundbreaking feature in iOS 13 that I just need immediately.

Dude, I pretty much run a beta year round...

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I usually wait. NOT because I think there will likely be any changes, but simply because the Apple servers get slammed so waiting benefits me when I DO update.

Servers seem to be worse on official launch day. I always see so many complaining it’s taking so long to DL.