Can we airdrop a Portrait Lighting photo taken on an iPhone X to an iPad then edit it?

aniss.kais

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
Hello there friends,
Can we airdrop a Portrait Lighting photo taken on an iPhone X to an iPad then edit it ? Last day I saw Drew of tailosive tech youtube channel doing it, but when I tried, I don’t have the option on my iPad Pro 9,7
Thanks folks

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Edit Portrait Lighting photos on iPad

Hi there. You can edit portrait photos on iPad but you can only switch between different portrait modes (studio light to stage light, for example) on supported devices. Currently iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X are the only devices that support portrait photos.

aniss.kais

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
hello, I just tried to send via airdrop an image taken with my iphone X in portrait lighting mode to my 9,7 ipad pro, then, when I tried to edit it, I don’t have the option to edit the Portrait Lighting . Both the iPhone X and the iPad are on iOS 11.4.1, I use the same Apple id
Here’s a screenshot of the edit mode on my ipad
2ab5074820a2fa0900f303083a35b826.png

aniss.kais

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
Hi there. You can edit portrait photos on iPad but you can only switch between different portrait modes (studio light to stage light, for example) on supported devices. Currently iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X are the only devices that support portrait photos.

Thank you for your reply. I still can’t do that on a picture taken on my iPhone X with Portrait Lighting when I send it to my 9,7’’ iPad Pro with airdrop. Both the devices are on iOS 11.4.1

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

This is exactly right. I was just at Apple last week taking one of the “Today at Apple” iPhone photography classes and the instructor explained that only photos taken in portrait mode can be edited on devices that support portrait mode. Rob is correct- only the iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8 Plus and the iPhone X have this capability.

aniss.kais

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
This is exactly right. I was just at Apple last week taking one of the “Today at Apple” iPhone photography classes and the instructor explained that only photos taken in portrait mode can be edited on devices that support portrait mode. Rob is correct- only the iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8 Plus and the iPhone X have this capability.

Thanks, but @Rob said that we can switch between different modes on the iPad. When I tap on edit on a picture taken on my iPhone X, I have the options to switch Portrait Lighting mode on the iPhone but not on the iPad

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, but @Rob said that we can switch between different modes on the iPad. When I tap on edit on a picture taken on my iPhone X, I have the options to switch Portrait Lighting mode on the iPhone but not on the iPad

This is true, and there are plenty of really good third-party photo editing apps available in the App Store that are great. However if you want to edit in portrait mode it can only be done on one of the supported devices.

aniss.kais

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
This is true, and there are plenty of really good third-party photo editing apps available in the App Store that are great. However if you want to edit in portrait mode it can only be done on one of the supported devices.

Thank you Annie for your quick reply. I wondering if i’m the only one experiencing this issue or not. Also, I want to tell you that when I airdrop a picture taken on my IPhone X to my MacBook Pro, I can switch between Portrait Lighting modes

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, but @Rob said that we can switch between different modes on the iPad.

Read his replay again - he said that you can edit photos taken in portrait mode on the iPad (crop, etc.). but you can only switch the portrait modes on supported devices, which he specified as the iPhone 7+, 8+, and X. You cannot switch portrait modes on any of the iPads, at least right now.

aniss.kais

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site

Read his replay again - he said that you can edit photos taken in portrait mode on the iPad (crop, etc.). but you can only switch the portrait modes on supported devices, which he specified as the iPhone 7+, 8+, and X. You cannot switch portrait modes on any of the iPads, at least right now.

Hello dude. You’re absolutely right. I didn’t read well. But I saw I youtube video from tailosive tech that shows that it’s possible. I can’t find it on his channel, but I remember that he showed that it’s possible

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello dude. You’re absolutely right. I didn’t read well. But I saw I youtube video from tailosive tech that shows that it’s possible. I can’t find it on his channel, but I remember that he showed that it’s possible

I have no idea who tailosive is but he’s likely using third-party software. There is certainly no official way to switch between different portrait modes on an iPad.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I just took a portrait mode photo on my X (I never used it before) and was able to edit lighting effect in an iPad mini, both running iOS 11.4.1. It took a few seconds for the portrait and lighting effect edit options to show up, but they did show up.

I use iCloud Photo Library, so maybe using AirDrop to transfer the photo removes the lighting effect metadata for some reason? (You can use the "Upload to my photo stream" on both devices I believe if you don't want to use iCloud Photo Library.) But, that's just a guess about a limitation with AirDrop. I'd also suggest restarting the iPad Pro to see if that changes anything, plus, of course, also making sure it's up to the latest iOS version.

If you still have trouble, I'd suggest calling or making a Genius Bar appointment with Apple to see if they can figure out the reason why you're having trouble.

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I just took a portrait mode photo on my X (I never used it before) and was able to edit lighting effect in an iPad mini, both running iOS 11.4.1. It took a few seconds for the portrait and lighting effect edit options to show up, but they did show up.

I use iCloud Photo Library, so maybe using AirDrop to transfer the photo, it removes the lighting effect metadata for some reason? (You can use the "Upload to my photo stream" on both devices I believe if you don't want to use iCloud Photo Library.) But, that's just a guess about a limitation with AirDrop. I'd also suggest restarting the iPad Pro to see if that changes anything, plus, of course, also making sure it's up to the latest iOS version.

If you still have trouble, I'd suggest calling or making a Genius Bar appointment with Apple to see if they can figure out the reason why you're having trouble.

Not the best photo in the world, but, a screenshot from my iPad mini 4 - if it can do it, the Pro can do it...

View attachment 123641

Well then! I stand corrected. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the portrait settings pop up on my iPad Pro and I use iCloud Photo Library.
I’ll have to check my iPad Pro again later on.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Well then! I stand corrected. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the portrait settings pop up on my iPad Pro and I use iCloud Photo Library.
I’ll have to check my iPad Pro again later on.

I do know that it will only work on photos shot with the X and 8+. You can’t edit the lighting conditions of a portrait mode photo taken on a 7+, as the 7+ doesn’t support the feature (lighting modes, I mean.)

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I do know that it will only work on photos shot with the X and 8+. You can’t edit the lighting conditions of a portrait mode photo taken on a 7+, as the 7+ doesn’t support the feature (lighting modes, I mean.)

Maybe that’s it then. I’m probably just thinking back to when I had my 7 Plus. Either that or I’m just going crazy...

aniss.kais

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site

I use iCloud Photo Library, so maybe using AirDrop to transfer the photo removes the lighting effect metadata for some reason? (You can use the "Upload to my photo stream" on both devices I believe if you don't want to use iCloud Photo Library.) But, that's just a guess about a limitation with AirDrop. I'd also suggest restarting the iPad Pro to see if that changes anything, plus, of course, also making sure it's up to the latest iOS version.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I have already iCloud Photo Library turned on, and still can’t edit Portrait Lighting photos on my iPad Pro. I’ve reached out to Apple support on Twitter, they told me that it’s not possible yet as Portrait Lighting is still on beta, yet, I saw many guys doing it on many YouTube channels. And about the metadata on the file itself, I don’t think that airdroping it removes that, as when I airdrop a picture taken with my X to my MacBook Pro, I can edit the Portrait Lighting effects on it
Ps : both my devices are on iOS 11.4.1

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox