iOS 11.4.1 Official

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
All devices ( 2 iPhones, 2 iPads have good or better battery life than pre-update, and are working very well.
Now don't get me into a Total Rant with respect to the way the 'Anti-Law Enforcement' security protocols have been presented. I have no problem with the concept BUT the idea of it defaulting to 'on' and having the switching ( green for OFF) is confusing to say the least and devious as well. IMHO ( as a Canadian born , now living in the Caribbean , maybe I breathe different air and have a different perspective than my US contemporaries, but a good chunk of my ethic and scruple says to co-operate with the system in place to protect us. If I should choose to enable the feature fine, but it should be a conscious action with an 'on & off' switch which both says and means 'on & off' - Having worked through the life of an international airline pilot, flying predominantly trans- border routes post 9-1-1 ( /) I am quite familiar with distrust in any way it's presented. If ever asked, to this date, for an entry code to a device, by police, immigration, or customs authority of any country I would dare to be in, I'll comply with something like 'fill your boots' or a phrase indicating I will comply without question. Like I said, Just don't get me going........The worry about a crook stealing, or my losing a device is on me and not as big a factor as a display of non-co-operation with any investigation of contents which I accept responsibility for.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Now don't get me into a Total Rant with respect to the way the 'Anti-Law Enforcement' security protocols have been presented. I have no problem with the concept BUT the idea of it defaulting to 'on' and having the switching ( green for OFF) is confusing to say the least and devious as well.
In case it's not clear, the default, on, behavior is consistent with the way the iPhone has always worked. With the switch (Settings / Face ID/TouchID & Passcode / USB Accessories, under "Allow access when locked") turned off, which is not the default, then any USB data connection to accessories or to iTunes will not work after the phone has been locked for an hour; it works again after you unlock the phone.

So, if you just leave it on the default, on, position, it will work as it always has and you can continue to cooperate with law enforcement agents who want to connect to your phone. (But you can still do that with that setting turned off by unlocking your phone for them.)

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I understand how it works and it's not the philosophy which I take issue with. Which side of fence one sits on ( pro or against access by the law) is a 'Not my Circus, Not my Monkeys' issue for me, but the 'switchery' involved is different. Case in point is/was a feature introduced several years ( & iOS's) ago called 'WiFi Assist' which may ( or may not) have been a benefit to either the user ( if one had lots of affordable data & was in 'shakey' Wifi territory) OR to Apple, who gained because the product worked better, albeit at a $ cost to the user, and to the service provider, who sold more data....As I said, Not my............
But when it was introduced, WiFi assist was defaulted ON , and had to be disabled if not desired... It was Green when on, and not so when switched off. I don't see the new inhibiting of the USB access any differently, ie could it not have been - if you wish it to close after an hour, you must turn the protection ( at any time) on and get a green switch. As it is, if you wish to disable this new function, you get the green and the default ( the feature enabled) being 'off'...... I don't know if there are factors of 'political correctness' at work here and if so, whose politics.
With the mechanics of this switchery, it seems a hush hush as to where Apple stands but it's their outfit. My 'former world' of airline flying involved LOTS OF switchery, with a constant effort over the years to get consistency, ie a given switch /system, be it Boeing, Airbus, Lockheed or whoever else, & if regulated by FAA, Transport Canada, or any other National regulator,certainly supported any effort to eliminate confusion if & where possible. That's my point, NOT whether I feels it's OK to let authorities into stuff which is mine, ergo which I and I alone am responsible for.

Having said that I'm fully aware that Apple ( Corporate, not Technical) would just as soon keep the whole issue and its 'why's & wherefors' out of the limelight, off the radar and away from as much as possible of the press. This why it would have been better to do it properly from the beginning......

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
But when it was introduced, WiFi assist was defaulted ON , and had to be disabled if not desired... It was Green when on, and not so when switched off. I don't see the new inhibiting of the USB access any differently, ie could it not have been - if you wish it to close after an hour, you must turn the protection ( at any time) on and get a green switch. As it is, if you wish to disable this new function, you get the green and the default ( the feature enabled) being 'off'...... I don't know if there are factors of 'political correctness' at work here and if so, whose politics.
You have it backwards. When the USB Accessories setting is on, which it is by default, that means that the phone continues to work as it always did on iOS 11.4 and earlier - USB accessories continue to work even if the phone has been locked for over an hour. The new functionality that lets you hide the USB port from data accessories after the phone has been locked for an hour requires you to turn the switch off, not on.

When the switch in on the default ON position:

"Turn off to prevent USB accessories from connecting when your iPhone has been locked for more than an hour."

When the switch is on the non-default OFF position:

"Unlock iPhone to allow USB accessories to connect when it has been more than an hour since your iPhone was locked."

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't like using links on forums but do have a gander here....semantics can be tricky...so be careful....time will probably tell...

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/10/17550316/apple-iphone-usb-restricted-mode-how-to-use-security

That link ( the verge.com) was one of several which leaned towards my interpretation ( as was Forbes, but I normally find them simply too negative about anything to be credible) Where they said 'Apple wants' I read between the lines that Apple wants the whole issue to quietly go away, which is why the low key approach. But to me 'green' means on, which means 'enabled' which means 'active' which doesn't seem the case here....

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't like using links on forums but do have a gander here....semantics can be tricky...so be careful....time will probably tell...

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/10/17550316/apple-iphone-usb-restricted-mode-how-to-use-security

That link ( the verge.com) was one of several which leaned towards my interpretation ( as was Forbes, but I normally find them simply too negative about anything to be credible) Where they said 'Apple wants' I read between the lines that Apple wants the whole issue to quietly go away, which is why the low key approach. But to me 'green' means on, which means 'enabled' which means 'active' which doesn't seem the case here....

Making that toggle green means allowing usb accessories to connect to the device without user interaction.
Making that toggle white means that you have to enter passcode for accessories to connect.

I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make here

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I do hope that in iOS 12 the default will be to be more secure rather than less. If you want to access your phone with USB peripherals if this is the default, you merely need to unlock it.

In this case, green/on does mean active - it means that USB accessories can connect to the phone. Off means that the data path to USB is turned off after the phone is locked for an hour, and the lightning port can be used only for charging (not sure about headphones; Apple doesn't say, and I haven't tested, though I don't often use lightning headphones, and I just installed 11.4.1 this morning.)

But, rather than believe what The Verge says, you can read Apple's support page about it: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208857

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Correct - point I'm trying to make is that in an ideal world - 'On' & 'Green' mean active / enabled (the security feature, not the port) whereas 'White' & 'Off' would mean feature is disabled and essentially 'the way things were before'. I do not think that is the case....

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Correct - point I'm trying to make is that in an ideal world - 'On' & 'Green' mean active / enabled (the security feature, not the port) whereas 'White' & 'Off' would mean feature is disabled and essentially 'the way things were before'. I do not think that is the case....

Security is just a byproduct of that toggle. The toggle itself is to allow or disallow usb accessories to connect to the device.

If it said USB security, rather than USB accessories, all points you made would have been valid. Now it is not.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
So -your switch is GREEN..... Are you 'more secure' from prying thieves ( or police) or less.....The 'port' is now accessible no matter how long the phone has been dormant... What I think we have in semantics is a double negative making a positive ie like a door being 'not unlocked' can only be 'locked'. If we consider the 'new feature' -timeout on the USB accessories- then 'on / green' should imply 'more secure' which is not the situation in this version.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
So -your switch is GREEN..... Are you 'more secure' from prying thieves ( or police) or less.....The 'port' is now accessible no matter how long the phone has been dormant... What I think we have in semantics is a double negative making a positive ie like a door being 'not unlocked' can only be 'locked'. If we consider the 'new feature' -timeout on the USB accessories- then 'on / green' should imply 'more secure' which is not the situation in this version.

Let’s agree to disagree.

I see it for what it is. Green is let accessories have access to data on the device. I’m not pondering about what else it may or should mean.

I’m in Europe. So if the the front door is closed, it can’t be opened from the outside without a key. Locking the door is just an extra measure to keep out thieves.
I don’t lock my front door, ever.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Apple is not calling it a "security feature". The setting is within a group of settings that control what you can do when the phone is locked, so it is essentially asking, "Do you want to connect USB peripherals when the phone is locked?" Yes means that you do, no means that you do not. I'm not sure why it matters whether on means more secure or not. With all of those settings, the phone is more secure when the setting is off. (For example, I have "today view", "control center", "reply with message", and "usb accessories" all turned off, because I don't want anybody to see private data if they pick up my phone (today view), or have the ability to toggle any settings (control center) or definitely reply to any of my text messages or attach any USB peripherals.)

It would be odd to have one setting in that grouping have "on" mean that the phone is more secure when the rest are the opposite.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
After 8 days with iOS 11.4.1 on my iPhone 7 Plus, I'm less than pleased with the battery life. Battery life was much better on iOS 10.3.3.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I’ve been telling you for ages to get on the betas.

Humm, interesting because with the exception of iOS 11 beta I've always been on betas. No you have not been telling me for "ages" because if I'm not mistaken I have been doing betas way before you...LOL . I started doing betas back in my Blackberry days.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Humm, interesting because with the exception of iOS 11 beta I've always been on betas. No you have not been telling me for "ages" because if I'm not mistaken I have been doing betas way before you...LOL . I started doing betas back in my Blackberry days.

Regardless, get on iOS 12.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
@Spencerdl

ec1ff7a09e6824ec8963666f93956368.jpg

🤣🤣🤣

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads