Differences between Dev Beta 2 and public beta

tuminish12

Jun 30, 2018
Visit site
Hello guys,

I would like to know if there are any differences between the dev beta 2 that is available for members of the apple developer program and the public beta?
And is there a way to get the public beta without signing for the public beta program (as a developer)?

Thanks in advance :)

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Hello guys,

I would like to know if there are any differences between the dev beta 2 that is available for members of the apple developer program and the public beta?
And is there a way to get the public beta without signing for the public beta program (as a developer)?

Thanks in advance :)

Hello there @tuminish12. Welcome to iMore.

As for the differences, the public betas seem, at least to me, to be a little more stable and have a lot of the bugs worked out.

As for getting the beta, you just log in at beta.apple.com, agree to their terms, and download.

Also, when you get a minute, please introduce yourself here:
https://forums.imore.com/new-forums-introduce-yourself-here/

Thanks.

________
~Lee Bo

tuminish12

Jun 30, 2018
Visit site
Thank you very much @Lee_Bo for the quick answer to my question. Okay, I just introduced myself :)

Yes, I assumed the public beta to be a bit more stable, but still was wondering if they keep the Dev Beta and Public Betas virtually identical or have massive differences between them...
I unfortunately do not own a device I don't use on a daily basis, so I am waiting for a beta that is decent enough so I can finally install it on my iPad Pro.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much @Lee_Bo for the quick answer to my question. Okay, I just introduced myself :)

Yes, I assumed the public beta to be a bit more stable, but still was wondering if they keep the Dev Beta and Public Betas virtually identical or have massive differences between them...
I unfortunately do not own a device I don't use on a daily basis, so I am waiting for a beta that is decent enough so I can finally install it on my iPad Pro.

The build number for iOS 12 Public beta 1 and Dev beta 2 should be identical...16A5308e

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

I'd guess that the last developer version and the first beta versions are pretty much identical. Later beta versions would be upgrades from previous beta versions.

I have 12 beta on my IPP but never joined the developer ranks.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I always thought that when a build number passes dev it gets bumped over to pub. So pub is basically one build ahead of dev because dev has already tested it and Apple devs fixed things thus moving it on to pub for the last test before getting another build.

Did I even explain that right? lol

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I always thought that when a build number passes dev it gets bumped over to pub. So pub is basically one build ahead of dev because dev has already tested it and Apple devs fixed things thus moving it on to pub for the last test before getting another build.

Did I even explain that right? lol

Your thinking is right but your conclusion not so much.

Devs get the first few betas before public does.
When devs don’t have destructive bugs and such, that same build gets bumped to public.

And after a few betas, both devs as public get the same builds at the same time.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Your thinking is right but your conclusion not so much.

Devs get the first few betas before public does.
When devs don’t have destructive bugs and such, that same build gets bumped to public.

And after a few betas, both devs as public get the same builds at the same time.

That's exactly what I meant... I just wasn't able to verbalize exactly what I wanted to say. You said it perfectly. :heart:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2