Text Message Forwarding and 11.4 iCloud sync

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
So with the new iCloud storage thing in 11.4 for message (which I've enabled and both my iPad and iPhone are synced up now) do I still need to have the "Text Message Forwarding" feature on to send/receive messages on my iPad? With the description it sounds like it could somehow result in duplicate threads now being synced? It's definitely a little confusing. There was already something that synced messages and now there's another thing that also syncs messages.

mattguy10

Nov 1, 2017
Visit site
So with the new iCloud storage thing in 11.4 for message (which I've enabled and both my iPad and iPhone are synced up now) do I still need to have the "Text Message Forwarding" feature on to send/receive messages on my iPad? With the description it sounds like it could somehow result in duplicate threads now being synced? It's definitely a little confusing. There was already something that synced messages and now there's another thing that also syncs messages.

Text Message Forwarding applies to text messages, not iMessages. If you want to be able to send and receive text messages from/on your iPad, you need to leave that setting turned on.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Text Message Forwarding applies to text messages, not iMessages. If you want to be able to send and receive text messages from/on your iPad, you need to leave that setting turned on.

Ah ok, I know it's silly having been with Apple from Android for like 3 years now but I still think of it all as text messages. That makes sense now.

So yeah I'll leave it enabled I do have friends without Apple devices and I tend to switch to my iPad when I get home for everything from games to texting/messaging.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site

Really ? So the the icloud message thing is only for imessage ? It won’t sync our text messages to icloud ?

Ps : i only need to received text message on my mac / iphone (s) from my iphone (s), no need to have ability to send text messages

mattguy10

Nov 1, 2017
Visit site
Really ? So the the icloud message thing is only for imessage ? It won’t sync our text messages to icloud ?

Ps : i only need to received text message on my mac / iphone (s) from my iphone (s), no need to have ability to send text messages

It syncs both iMessages and text messages otherwise I believe it would be called “iMessages in iCloud,” instead of “Messages in iCloud.”

Enabling text message forwarding let’s you send and receive text messages from your other devices that are signed in to your iMessage account. There’s no option to only send or only receive.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
It syncs both iMessages and text messages otherwise I believe it would be called “iMessages in iCloud,” instead of “Messages in iCloud.”

Enabling text message forwarding let’s you send and receive text messages from your other devices that are signed in to your iMessage account. There’s no option to only send or only receive.

On the other words, if I turn off the text message forwarding, i will still received all my text message on all apple devices ? (With the messages in icloud)

mattguy10

Nov 1, 2017
Visit site
On the other words, if I turn off the text message forwarding, i will still received all my text message on all apple devices ? (With the messages in icloud)

That sounds like it would work, but Apple left the text message forwarding option for a reason, which could be just for people who don’t use Messages in iCloud. The best way to know for sure would be to test it yourself. Disable text message forwarding and then have someone who isn’t using an Apple device send you a text message and see if it appears on all your Apple devices that have Messages in iCloud enabled.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
That sounds like it would work, but Apple left the text message forwarding option for a reason, which could be just for people who don’t use Messages in iCloud.

Well, and so you can *send* text messages from iPad or macOS (or iPod Touch, I suppose). Syncing should make them appear when you receive them (haven’t had time to test that yet), but you won’t be able to reply to them or send new sms messages from those other devices without sms forward turned on on the iPhone.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

So, I just tested this. I turned off text message forwarding, and sent myself a test text message.

The message did NOT sync to the Mac or iPad.

So, the answer is yes: you DO need to turn on text message sync in order to have SMS (non-iMessage) messages appear on other devices.

how69

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
After configuring both my iPhone and my laptop, why are messages which I erase on my laptop not erasing on my iPhone?

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I am trying this for the first time my Mac synced fine but my iPhone messages has uploading messages to iCloud at the bottom for like an hour.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I am trying this for the first time my Mac synced fine but my iPhone messages has uploading messages to iCloud at the bottom for like an hour.

Try plugging in while on WiFi (or just wait until you charge it later). They upload on that first upload more when you are powered.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Try plugging in while on WiFi (or just wait until you charge it later). They upload on that first upload more when you are powered.

The device should actually tell you if it needs to be plugged in to upload. My iPhone X did it just fine over wi-fi sitting on my coffee table. My 5th gen (2017) iPad with the A9 chip wanted to be plugged in though.

edit: I wonder if Chris has their iPhone connected to wi-fi or just cell? If there's a lot of messages and attachments that's going to take a loooong time over cell and maybe even wi-fi depending on speed.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Finally disappeared!! It was a premature post. I think all is good now (did tell me to plug it while on wifi, but took a lot longer than expected)

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
The device should actually tell you if it needs to be plugged in to upload. My iPhone X did it just fine over wi-fi sitting on my coffee table. My 5th gen (2017) iPad with the A9 chip wanted to be plugged in though.

edit: I wonder if Chris has their iPhone connected to wi-fi or just cell? If there's a lot of messages and attachments that's going to take a loooong time over cell and maybe even wi-fi depending on speed.

It's funny that I never notice any notification from my iphone to plugged in and use wifi ... where can we find the notification ?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2