No notifications of new mail in folders?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
A lot of the senders aren't in my contacts and the mail rules are set up to file based on keywords in the sender/subject line.

I can't believe people would rather sit there and file 100 emails a day than have rules take care of it all.

Mail is definitely an area Apple could improve. So is Calendar.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I chose iPhone because I didn’t want I be google’s product. Not switching to gmail.

Of course, with an outlook.com account, you are "Microsoft's product".

FWIW, you can keep the outlook.com mail address and use the Gmail app with it, using Google's "GMailify" feature for outlook.com (and yahoo and hotmail) accounts. This will give you Google's spam filtering, their (optional) separation of mail into primary, social, promotions, updates, and forums, and will allow you to set server side rules that will automatically label messages, just the way that you are now. With Gmail, messages can be both in the inbox and in sorted labels at the same time, is you will still get notified of all new messages. I know that you don't want to have a Google account, but this may be worth at least a try, as I think it's the only solution that will do what you want on iOS. (You can turn off Gmailify at any time later on.) The filtering rules are very powerful.

That said, I haven't done this with my Outlook.com account, though I am about to try it out now.

More about Gmailify: https://blog.google/products/gmail/gmailify-best-of-gmail-without-gmail/ and https://techcrunch.com/2016/02/17/g...gmails-best-features-with-non-gmail-accounts/

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Of course, with an outlook.com account, you are "Microsoft's product".

To a much, much less extent.

I'm not sure I like the idea of Gmail moving my messages around on the phone. Sounds like I'd have to disable all the Outlook.com rules and let the Gmailify app do it, rendering my email on the desktop screwed up.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Mail is definitely an area Apple could improve. So is Calendar.

Wow, I'll say it's bad.

In this view, how do I know what days are busier and which days I have a lighter load? That's what a calendar is supposed to do - show me what my month looks like.

Attachments

• 9F444DD7-157F-46BD-9C0F-96B8406648FC.png
    9F444DD7-157F-46BD-9C0F-96B8406648FC.png
    283.4 KB · Views: 0

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Compared to the BB10 calendar where I can see at a glance every day in the month where I have the most free/busy times.

Attachments

• E6639622-7534-4237-8E4F-584E626BAA4A.jpeg
    E6639622-7534-4237-8E4F-584E626BAA4A.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 0

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Compared to the BB10 calendar where I can see at a glance every day in the month where I have the most free/busy times.

Calendar and Mail were supposed to be 2 of the stock apps getting a whole new redesign, but Apple supposedly pushed a lot of that stuff from iOS 12 to 13 to work on stability.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Great, so now I get to wait 2 years to see if apple has the brains to include the functionality of a 5 year old BlackBerry.

Tell me again why business users find iPhone appealing?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Wow, I'll say it's bad.

In this view, how do I know what days are busier and which days I have a lighter load? That's what a calendar is supposed to do - show me what my month looks like.

Maybe once you get accustomed to it.
See your events by tapping on the icon shown here.
a85ecf903e468cf692093eb5259685b4.jpg

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
That only shows it for the selected day. If you have a calendar on the wall, it's easy to see the whole month at a glance. That's what the BB10 calendar emulates nicely and what iOS makes no effort to do.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That only shows it for the selected day. If you have a calendar on the wall, it's easy to see the whole month at a glance. That's what the BB10 calendar emulates nicely and what iOS makes no effort to do.

There's plenty of 3rd party Calendar apps that have more features. Fantastical 2 and Calendars by Readdle are both nice.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Something odd about having to buy a 3rd party calendar on a phone the price of the X.

Anyway, do Fantastical 2 and Calendars by Readdle both support Exchange?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Something odd about having to buy a 3rd party calendar on a phone the price of the X.

Like personal computers, I think that limiting phones to stock apps only is like only riding a bicycle even if you have to travel 500 miles every once in a while. If a. third party app solves a problem for you, is it better to save the money or keep using the phone in a non-productive way out of principal?

Anyway, do Fantastical 2 and Calendars by Readdle both support Exchange?

Fantastical, yes. I haven't used Readdle's app.

The free Outlook app also has calendar support, though I'm not sure that it's month view is all that better (I don't use the account I usually use for calendar sync with Outlook so I cannot say for sure.)

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
The free Outlook app doesn't do what I want either.

If there's no way to change the default app (as is the case with iOS) then there absolutely is a case for making the native apps feature-rich and flexible. What the heck has Apple been doing for the last 5 years? iOS feels less capable than BB10 did when it first came out and everyone was whining about lack of features before it got some nice updates.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The free Outlook app doesn't do what I want either.

If there's no way to change the default app (as is the case with iOS) then there absolutely is a case for making the native apps feature-rich and flexible. What the heck has Apple been doing for the last 5 years? iOS feels less capable than BB10 did when it first came out and everyone was whining about lack of features before it got some nice updates.

If it's all that important to you, then I suggest you go back to what you had. Maybe the iPhone and iOS is just not for you.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
I need to be able to rename photos. Anyone recommend an appointment that can do that? Why isn't this in the native photos or files app?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I need to be able to rename photos. Anyone recommend an appointment that can do that? Why isn't this in the native photos or files app?
It can't be done in the photos app with photos taken with the phone. But you can rename photos from another source in apps like Box or Dropbox. Those should retain the new name.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
So what *can* people do with these things?

Beautiful hardware crippled by feature-thin software. After all these years of people telling me to "get a real phone" I finally do and it's far more primitive than I could have imagined.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Beautiful hardware crippled by feature-thin software. After all these years of people telling me to "get a real phone" I finally do and it's far more primitive than I could have imagined.

See my correction. You can rename photos in Box or Dropbox. But if taken with the phone's camera, they revert back when saved. Again, maybe the iPhone is just not for you.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

I don’t feel like Apple cripples their hardware.
Instead of renaming photos you could put them in albums and give that a title. Apple uses the date and location (if enabled for the camera) to categorize photos and make managing them simpler.

I used to rename photos on my windows computer to date and time, but stopped doing that altogether when I enabled iCloud Photo Library.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
99% of people don’t rename photos. 99% of people don’t use server based email rules to sort their incoming email. 99% of people don’t need the month view in the calendar that you describe. Apple tends to try to keep things simple rather than complicated. Just the way it is.

I think that there are phones that can do the things you need them to do, but my guess is that you just bought the wrong one. You have (or had) 14 days to exchange it; that should be plenty of time to discover whether this phone isn’t good enough for what you need from it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal