Is it ok to delete our stock calendar?

kuje75

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
I use Spark myself. It’s light years ahead of the stock Mail app and has versions for multiple mobile and desktop platforms. It also syncs my accounts automatically between devices so setup is a breeze on a new device or if I need to restore.

Do you still have your stock Mail app or you had deleted it?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok good. Happy to know it wont mess with anything. Thanks buddy.

Deleting a stock app has never created any major issues for me. My biggest problem with it has been Siri. For instance, if I ask her to play a song she’ll refuse to play it from any other source than Apple Music. If I’ve deleted the Apple Music app she just tells me I need to install it without considering I might be using a different service, in this case Amazon Music Unlimited.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I use Spark myself. It’s light years ahead of the stock Mail app and has versions for multiple mobile and desktop platforms. It also syncs my accounts automatically between devices so setup is a breeze on a new device or if I need to restore.
I don't use Spark because if you have push notifications turned on (and who wouldn't?), Spark stores both your email credentials and your messages on their servers. No thanks. Gmail is my primary email, so I use Google's InBox app, but still keep the stock mail app set up (without notifications) because I find it easier to compose longer messages, and reply to specific messages within a thread of messages, with the stock mail app.

I'm not quite sure I understand why you'd actually uninstall any stock apps. I just put them in a folder in a home screen far to the right and just ignore the ones I never use.

kuje75

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
So awesome Fantastica and Spark. I wish both stock Mail and Calendar could be better. They are not bad, but ir could be better. I had deleted both stock apps and everything still run smoothly. Thanks for all the reply.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not quite sure I understand why you'd actually uninstall any stock apps. I just put them in a folder in a home screen far to the right and just ignore the ones I never use.

That’s like downloading an app, realizing it’s garbage, and then moving it to a folder just for the sake of not deleting it. If I’m literally never going to use an app what’s the harm in making it go away?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
That’s like downloading an app, realizing it’s garbage, and then moving it to a folder just for the sake of not deleting it. If I’m literally never going to use an app what’s the harm in making it go away?

No, of course no harm, but it's not quite the same. "Deleting" a stock app doesn't recover the app's storage space. It's still on the phone, just not on a home screen nor available to launch. Deleting a third party app of course recovers the storage space.

Aztek13

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
No, it will not hurt anything to either delete or move the stock calendar app on your device.

I guess I'm the last of the stock calendar users. It works for what I need it to do.
I still use the stock calendar. I’ve tried Fantastical 2 but still keep coming back to the stock app.

kuje75

Feb 10, 2017
Visit site
I don't use Spark because if you have push notifications turned on (and who wouldn't?), Spark stores both your email credentials and your messages on their servers. No thanks. Gmail is my primary email, so I use Google's InBox app, but still keep the stock mail app set up (without notifications) because I find it easier to compose longer messages, and reply to specific messages within a thread of messages, with the stock mail app.

I just want my screen has icon for apps that i use. No big issue, just don’t like apps that I don’t use will just be there on the screen.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
No, of course no harm, but it's not quite the same. "Deleting" a stock app doesn't recover the app's storage space. It's still on the phone, just not on a home screen nor available to launch. Deleting a third party app of course recovers the storage space.

I’m well aware of how deleting stock apps works but I have a 256 GB phone and don’t plan on running low on memory. I just prefer not to have an app that I’m never going to use taking up screen real estate, even if it is in a folder. There isn’t a right or wrong answer here; just personal preference.