Could someone please recommend a good Ad-Blocker for iPhone?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Listen, nothing is LOGGED to their servers. There are no links. I provided a seed of experience for you to test for yourselves, yes test yourselves. You have to actually test your own devices! Adblock for mobile WAS great, untill it became deprecated. I tested the app a dozen ways in conjunction with Pia VPN, and my isp came up twice. Now, this is basically a non-technical ‘fanboy’, site. At least have the balls to look things up, eh? Recommending deprecated apps, how noob of you all, lol.

You must be new here. Thanks for your experience. My experience with the app has been fantastic! It helps me tremendously to block ads in certain apps I use. Show me an app YOU approve of that will accomplish that, and I'll switch.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I originally started this post looking for an ad blocker because when I would read links from Twitter Amazon ads would appear and interrupt my reading.

Yeah, that happens with me a lot on laptop but not really on mobile. Don't really browse or search much on mobile and have apps for all the social stuff.

This does annoy the crap out of me, specifically on Facebook when I have several tabs open such as Amazon or B&H Photo. Then I start seeing ads on FB for Amazon and B&H Photo. I did find something that really helped and I'll have to look for it again as the last time I used it was on a Winders machine (no that's wasn't a typo) but really haven't had that issue on my MBP with Safari.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, that happens with me a lot on laptop but not really on mobile. Don't really browse or search much on mobile and have apps for all the social stuff.

This does annoy the crap out of me, specifically on Facebook when I have several tabs open such as Amazon or B&H Photo. Then I start seeing ads on FB for Amazon and B&H Photo. I did find something that really helped and I'll have to look for it again as the last time I used it was on a Winders machine (no that's wasn't a typo) but really haven't had that issue on my MBP with Safari.

THIS!!!!!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So what ads is everyone trying to block?

Any that are intrusive mostly. In apps, I don't mind banner ads that show at the bottom or top as long as they're not animated. Sites in Safari used to show their ads on a sidebar. Now many are simply in your face. It's just nicer without ads. No distractions. Some are sneaky and the adblock apps can't get rid of them.

REV3NTECH

Jan 25, 2018
Visit site
Ok, I have not only mentioned it, I described AdGuard Pro, which may be found in the appstore twice! Twice! Lol, really? Stick with what works, there is a learning curve with the app. The dang app blocks ads, trackers, certain fonts like whats contained in googleapis, social site ads, you may select the DNS you’d like to use, filter subscriptions. Did I mention it blocks crap system wide? I recomment you search for AdGuard DNS, sign up for the beta program, install Testflight and have a ball. The guy wanted a good suggestion, I gave it...to a casual user. Well, adblocking, done right, is apparently beyond the scope of these forums, not the casual user. Now read the whole damn post.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I have not only mentioned it, I described AdGuard Pro, which may be found in the appstore twice! Twice! Lol, really? Stick with what works, there is a learning curve with the app. The dang app blocks ads, trackers, certain fonts like whats contained in googleapis, social site ads, you may select the DNS you’d like to use, filter subscriptions. Did I mention it blocks crap system wide? I recomment you search for AdGuard DNS, sign up for the beta program, install Testflight and have a ball. The guy wanted a good suggestion, I gave it...to a casual user. Well, adblocking, done right, is apparently beyond the scope of these forums, not the casual user. Now read the whole damn post.

Hi there. You seem to be getting upset over nothing. Take a moment to review our Community Rules & Guidelines. Not everyone has to agree with your opinion and criticism is something to be expected from an online community such as this.

Please...Lighten up a bit and enjoy iMore!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure I'm in the minority BUT I have come to accept ads as a normal part of Web browsing. The sites have to make money to stay around. As long as the ad isn't too intrusive I ignore it. ;)

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure I'm in the minority BUT I have come to accept ads as a normal part of Web browsing. The sites have to make money to stay around. As long as the ad isn't too intrusive I ignore it. ;)

Very true. As much as we hate to admit it there would be no internet without ads.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

No mention in the App Store write up about blocking ads in apps. Only in Safari. I'll give the Pro a look when it goes on sale again. They seem to do that often.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Very true. As much as we hate to admit it there would be no internet without ads.

There was an internet before them. I remember what it was like before adware took over the internet in the late 90s... Amazing.

The assertion that there would be no internet without ads is a complete falsehood. The internet predates the current as economy, and that economy only exists because people think things are "free," when they aren't.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
There was an internet before them. I remember what it was like before adware took over the internet in the late 90s... Amazing.

The assertion that there would be no internet without ads is a complete falsehood. The internet predates the current as economy, and that economy only exists because people think things are "free," when they aren't.

Fair enough. The internet as we know it today wouldn’t exist without ads. We’d be paying directly for services and the innovation that has taken place over the years would have slowed to a crawl.
Better?

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
REV3NTECH seems to be pushing AdGuard Pro very heavily, almost like he may be working for the company that makes it. Nobody shills that hard for an app unless they work for them too. His posts should be removed from this thread as spam.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
This thread has clearly gotten off topic (myself included). Time to steer things back on course.

Reminder: OP is looking for suggestions for ad blocking apps for iPhone.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I now use Better, because 1Blocker started blocking too much (for example, it prevented images on imore.com posts from being seen), and 1Blocker just didn't have the discrete controls per domain to keep ads blocked yet not block important content as well.

wind0ze

May 22, 2018
Visit site
AdGuard Pro - hands down. I used to use Weblock but its functionality has fallen far behind AdGuard Pro's capabilities. Best of all - you can sign up for their beta testing program and get the app for free while receiving functionality not yet included in the paid version. It's also 100% open source, which is a huge bonus for the privacy/security minded. Both their website and GitHub page have the sign up form to use for the beta program. Customized blocking lists, DNSCrypt - choose from an included list of servers or you can use any server of your choice, public or private, that's not included in the list. Try it out, after all the beta is free. Oh, and blocking is system wide not just limited to a web browser.

EDIT: Change all above “GitHub” references to “Microsoft Code Mining Project”

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal