Yahoo Mail not fetching since iOS 11 update

mooch91

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
All,

I've been having an issue with Yahoo Mail in the native mail app since around the beginning of December, which is coincident with the time I first began the upgrade to iOS 11.

Shortly before this point, I had found out that Yahoo Mail no longer pushes in the native mail app and I switched it to "fetch" on a 15-minute schedule.

After upgrading to iOS 11, I only intermittently receive my Yahoo Mail in the app. It typically updates no more than once or twice a day. The update is set to "fetch" every 15 minutes. I'll go in to the desktop version of Yahoo and see 10-15 emails waiting.

I've tried deleting and re-adding the account multiple times. Recently I found a setting within Yahoo Mail on desktop that allows access for apps that use a less secure sign-in. I ensured that the weaker security setting was turned on. I thought this had resolved it, as I suddenly started getting mails quickly again, but it slowed down again within a day.

Interestingly, I also have an iPad I just set up that seems to be receiving the emails more quickly.

Any thoughts or ideas? I've done quite a bit of searching - hard to tell if others are having similar issues.

Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My Yahoo email is set to fetch hourly and has been that way for years without any problems. With that in mind, if you're only experiencing the issue on your iPhone then I recommend you reset the Network settings or delete the Yahoo account, reboot the device and then re-configure the Yahoo account.

mooch91

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. So far I've tried deleting and re-adding the account multiple times, turning off the phone in between. I get the same effect - I will intermittently receive emails in the Yahoo account. For example, 5 emails came in overnight last night at various times; none were shown on the lock screen, none were shown in the Yahoo inbox, and the Yahoo inbox showed "Updated Now" when opened.

I'm trying something different now.

I've added my Yahoo account as a Yahoo-type account and have it only sync'ing my contacts. I added a second account as an other-type (Yahoo IMAP settings)and have it sync'ing my mail (cannot sync contacts with an other-type account as far as I can tell). There are also a couple of additional options on an other-type account (ports, authorization type, etc.).

I'll run it this way for a while and report back if it makes a difference.

mooch91

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I got excited too soon. After modifying my accounts as above, I was getting my Yahoo emails pretty regularly yesterday.

When I woke this morning though, there were 4 that came in overnight that weren't showing. I've since received 3 more. None have shown in my iOS inbox, and the Yahoo inbox on iOS is showing "Updated Just Now".

These are also not showing on my iPad, so I don't think my issue is necessarily device-specific. Seems the iPhone and iPad are both intermittently getting the mails and notifications.

I've sent a help request to Yahoo, but I'm not expecting much based upon past requests.

d_w_w

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
I finally caved and let my 6 go to ios 11 over the weekend. My Yahoo account is doing the same thing. Phone says it is downloading 10 messages and then nothingshows up. I pull to update and it says updated. I check with pc and there are 10 unread emails not showing in the mail app. Next day and they are there. No push available I guess. I have set it to 15 min and automatic. Neither seem to be reliable.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm on 11.2.5 and am not having anyI'm sorry you guys are having issues with getting your mail and hope that Yahoo gets back to you.

akavbb

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
I just did and it did not work. Also in order to set the account manually I was forced to set my account to accept less secure logins, which is a vulnerability. Anyway, thank you very much for your time.