Tim Cook says future iOS updates will give users the choice to disable throttling feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
As I said it was still something that needed to be said.

Yes, and as a participant the “everyone” includes you. Now can we get back on topic?

As I said earlier, I have two phones here affected by this (a 6 and 6s) and neither have said their phones are feeling different and neither are newer batteries. The 6 had a new battery a year ago but gets charged several times a day (teenagers) while the 6s had one too and has been more gently treated, but has a newer processor.

I think having the switch will be interesting to see how phones are affected. I’ll have them both test it to see how it performs on and off.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
This is the thing...Apple messed up. Good intentions overall (IMO) but the lack of transparency makes it seem like they were pulling the rug out from users with older devices. And you can’t tell me that NOBODY at Apple thought “...and we’ll probably get a few early upgrades out of it too!” Come on!
The good news: It’s being remedied. Now we’ll just get people complaining that their three year old iPhones are constantly crashing while they’re playing Candy Crush.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Tartarus said:
How can a fully grown up person as yourself claim to have done something that someone else suggested to you?

Dude, really? You’re saying you’ve never in your entire life acted upon the suggestion of another individual? Ok....

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Dude, really? You’re saying you’ve never in your entire life acted upon the suggestion of another individual? Ok....

Of course I did. But I didn’t hold them accountable for it when it turned out to be a mistake. It was my own decision to take their word for it, therefore I owned my mistake and took the necessary lessons out of it.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
No, I am not. Every Android device I ever purchased was purchased unlocked directly from Google at the Play Store. I've only been using iPhones for less than 2 years. They update their flagship devices for aprox a year or two, and then it falls to the wayside where they update their new flagships. I got sick of having to root my devices and install custom ROMs just so I could have an updated secure device. I have more experience with this nonsense and Google than I care to think about.

Pixel devices get updated every. single. month. Or sooner if there's a new exploit/bug/virus out there. And Google updates their Pixel devices for three years.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
It is good of them to put this option in. I don't think they're doing it to "benefit" users but more so to quiet the storm from the angry users.

Either way glad it is going in.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Now can we get back on topic?

I didn't even realize the discussion had gotten that far out of hand. Had to look at the thread title again!

I have two phones here affected by this (a 6 and 6s) and neither have said their phones are feeling different and neither are newer batteries. The 6 had a new battery a year ago but gets charged several times a day (teenagers) while the 6s had one too and has been more gently treated, but has a newer processor.

I think having the switch will be interesting to see how phones are affected. I’ll have them both test it to see how it performs on and off.

I'm not even sure that I noticed any performance degradation on my previous phone because I was always running a beta of the OS, but I can tell that they're doing something with the battery section of the OS on the latest beta because the numbers at the bottom of the battery section have been extremely wonky on my 8 Plus. Hrm, let's see how many times I can say battery section in one sentence. At any rate, I am looking forward to seeing if there will be any fixes to some long standing battery stats bugs. Especially on my iPad where the entire stats are just completely gone at random times (this began out of the box on iOS 10 and followed through to the latest developer beta versions).

Either way glad it is going in.

Me too!!

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
How can a fully grown up person as yourself claim to have done something that someone else suggested to you?

Right? If he says he never did anything someone else suggested he's a liar. Hell, I've checked out restaurants, booze, music, TV shows and movies because they were suggested to me. What apple did was not suggest I should get a new phone, they forced me into one.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Right? If he says he never did anything someone else suggested he's a liar. Hell, I've checked out restaurants, booze, music, TV shows and movies because they were suggested to me. What apple did was not suggest I should get a new phone, they forced me into one.

I’m out of this conversation.
You have consumer rights, whole courts backing you up. Go claim some clauses and ask for your money back.
I for one am not gonna pay you your money back.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Apple has never told me what to believe about their devices. It’s my own experience as well as other people’s experience I know.
You're dismissing what happened to me by qualifying it by essentially saying it never happened to you so it never happened to me.

Your case is an exception, not the norm. That’s why I mentioned those devices.
And again you're dismissing my event by implying because it's "an exception, not the norm" that I am lying.

Volition, not violation.
Both the employe nor the supervisor have done enough to see what the issue was. They should have. You can still take this up with upper management and have your case reviewed. Maybe something good can come out of it.
Blame autocorrect for the spelling mistake, that's something else Google does better than apple. How do you know they didn't do enough to see what the issue was. They ran I diagnostic on it and claimed

No matter what anybody ever says, they can’t make you buy something, under any circumstances.
I'm guessing you've never had to purchase something out of need then?

At some point you agreed to pay for a new device. You came to that conclusion yourself, you picked up your credit card and gave it to them and entered your pin code yourself. At no point have they physically forced you to buy that new device.
When the apple employees told me I needed a new phone I was forced into getting a new phone due to my need for that line to have a workig phone.

I can’t even get my 10 y/o nephew to pick up his toys from the floor and he is susceptible to listen to adults.
Your 10 y/o nephew doesn't respect authority and you should talk to his parents about it because it could become an issue later.

I'm guessing you've never tried a restaurant or a beer based on suggestions from others then?

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, and as a participant the “everyone” includes you. Now can we get back on topic?

As I said earlier, I have two phones here affected by this (a 6 and 6s) and neither have said their phones are feeling different and neither are newer batteries. The 6 had a new battery a year ago but gets charged several times a day (teenagers) while the 6s had one too and has been more gently treated, but has a newer processor.

That just goes to show despite what @Tartarus and @BreakingKayfabe say different devices were affected differently. There was no reason to dismiss my case.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
And again you're dismissing my event by implying because it's "an exception, not the norm" that I am lying.

Dude, stop it already. How on earth is acknowledging your event by saying that it was an exception dismissing it??
I do acknowledge it.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Blame autocorrect for the spelling mistake, that's something else Google does better than apple.
How do you know they didn't do enough to see what the issue was. They ran I diagnostic on it and claimed

Thanks for the update. I hope you will have a better experience with whatever device you decide to get from now on, even if it’s an Apple device.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
That just goes to show despite what @Tartarus and @BreakingKayfabe say different devices were affected differently. There was no reason to dismiss my case.

Do me a favor and take a legit screenshot from this thread where I actually said what you claim I said. If you can produce it I'll PayPal you $10,000 immediately.

I'm not dismissing your case. I'm dismissing your argument about being "forced" into something. It's pathetic. But then again I'm not surprised with your post history and lack of reading comprehension.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

How did they “force you”? Were you not allowed to leave without buying a new device?

Status
Not open for further replies.