Tim Cook says future iOS updates will give users the choice to disable throttling feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Except that people were forced to get a new phone. They were never given the option from Apple Store employees to fix the battery. They either had to deal with a terribly slow phone or get a new one, and since that nobody wants to use a slow device, they were forced to get a new one.

I think when people hear the word "forced" they assume Apple held a gun to your head and said you must get a new phone or you die, which obviously isn't the case. I think "forced" implies that those people didn't have a choice. But they did. They could have either dealt with a degraded phone, or upgrade. They made the choice to upgrade, thus they weren't "forced".

I definitely get what you're saying when you say they were forced. If you want a phone that works properly, your only choice is to upgrade. Thus you're "forced" because you don't have an alternative.

That said,

forced
[fawrst, fohrst]

adjective
enforced or compulsory:
forced labor.
strained, unnatural, or affected:
a forced smile.
subjected to force.
required by circumstances; emergency:
a forced landing of an airplane.

I'm interested in how anyone can say the 4th definition of the word "forced" doesn't qualify.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I was. Even at the apple store they said it was the phone. If they told me it was the battery then that would be one thing, but they didn't. I was told it was the phone therefor I was forced to get a new phone.

What phone was that? I'm assuming it was before you made this thread on September 18, 2017 showing that you had full intention of upgrading to an 8 Plus or an X, regardless.

https://forums.imore.com/iphone/393907-debate-iphone-8-plus-versus-iphone-x.html

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I think when people hear the word "forced" they assume Apple held a gun to your head and said you must get a new phone or you die, which obviously isn't the case. I think "forced" implies that those people didn't have a choice. But they did. They could have either dealt with a degraded phone, or upgrade. They made the choice to upgrade, thus they weren't "forced".

I definitely get what you're saying when you say they were forced. If you want a phone that works properly, your only choice is to upgrade. Thus you're "forced" because you don't have an alternative.

That said,

I'm interested in how anyone can say the 4th definition of the word "forced" doesn't qualify.

The other option is buy a new battery.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Except that people were forced to get a new phone. They were never given the option from Apple Store employees to fix the battery. They either had to deal with a terribly slow phone or get a new one, and since that nobody wants to use a slow device, they were forced to get a new one.

Terribly slow? Lol It's the same thing as Low Power Mode. I can't tell any difference when I have that enabled. Maybe some who thought it was the Apple slowdown, actually had other issues.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Not to beat an old horse, but prior to Apple letting us know what was happening, the “new battery” option wasn’t known to make a difference. That’s what people are talking about. Now that’s another option. Previously, it wasn’t.

Which brings us to why we are now in a better position than we previously were. We now have knowledge of our options.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

You’re right, I was forced to get another phone.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Can you be more specific?

The phone was working fine before I updated the iOS. I did a factory reset and set it up as new and still had the issue. The fact that the phone was working perfectly fine before the update means it wasn’t the phone. Is that clear enough?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

We must have a different definition of "force". If you said that they compelled people to upgrade, I'd start agreeing. But "forced" is pretty strong.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a problem with “I was forced to get a new phone”. Don’t get me wrong. I understand what you’re saying, but ‘force’ is what I disagree with. Being led to believe a newer phone would solve the problem is not the same as being forced to buy a new phone.

I was forced to get a new phone because the employees at the apple store told me it was the phone. They never indicated it could have been the battery otherwise I’d have gotten a new battery. At best they lied, at worse they forced me to get a new phone. They didn’t lead me “to believe a newer phone would solve the problem is not the same as being forced to buy a new “ as you state, they flat out told me that I “need to get a new phone.” Therefor being forced to get a new phone is accurate in this instance.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

@Quis89 said it better than I could. If apple communicated the fact that it could be the battery then I’d agree with you, but they didn’t. They chose to keep quiet and use that to sell more phones.
Not to beat an old horse, but prior to Apple letting us know what was happening, the “new battery” option wasn’t known to make a difference. That’s what people are talking about. Now that’s another option. Previously, it wasn’t.

Which brings us to why we are now in a better position than we previously were. We now have knowledge of our options.
Well said sir! The fact that apple failed to communicate this means at best they were using unethical sales techniques to force consumers into a new phone.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I want everyone to remember who they've compelled to sleep with them in the past and think how much trouble they'd be in being compelled=forced, lol

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
What phone was that? I'm assuming it was before you made this thread on September 18, 2017 showing that you had full intention of upgrading to an 8 Plus or an X, regardless.

https://forums.imore.com/iphone/393907-debate-iphone-8-plus-versus-iphone-x.html

It was either my 6 Plus or 6S Plus that I had on one of my other lines. By your comment you make it seem like people can’t or don’t have more than one line! The post you mentioned referred to my primary line which I did upgrade to the X. The two situations are independent of each other and not related except for the fact that all of the lines are on my account.
But so what if it happened on my primary line that doesn’t excuse apples unethical behavior of hiding the fact that they were throttling processors. The amount of people here who are too blind to that fact is laughable!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
But so what if it happened on my primary line that doesn’t excuse apples unethical behavior of hiding the fact that they were throttling processors. The amount of people here who are too blind to that fact is laughable!
I'm not questioning that. I agree with that to a degree. I'm just laughing at the use of the word "force". It's just a drama queen type word, in my opinion.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
We must have a different definition of "force". If you said that they compelled people to upgrade, I'd start agreeing. But "forced" is pretty strong.
@Retinella is correct and forced is accurate. When apple hid the throttling of processors on older phones from consumers and told them they need to get a new phone, like they did to me, then yes they forced people into getting new phones. There was no transparency at all which is what I have a problem with.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
@Retinella is correct and forced is accurate. When apple hid the throttling of processors on older phones from consumers and told them they need to get a new phone, like they did to me, then yes they forced people into getting new phones. There was no transparency at all which is what I have a problem with.

So a gun was put to your head to purchase a new phone at the Apple Store. Got it.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not questioning that. I agree with that to a degree. I'm just laughing at the use of the word "force". It's just a drama queen type word, in my opinion.

I just call it how it is. As I’ve said many times here not once was I given the option to replace the battery and the fact that apple throttled the processor on older phones was never disclosed. So being told I need to replace the phone by an apple employee is forcing me into a new phone. I’m going to call American Express tomorrow and dispute the transaction now that it came out that apple was throttling the processors.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I want everyone to remember who they've compelled to sleep with them in the past and think how much trouble they'd be in being compelled=forced, lol

I think you guys are only focusing on one aspect of the word “forced”. There are varying interpretations of the word. If I want to get to point C, and both path A and path B can get me there, but path B is closed, technically I’m “forced” to take path A. Just because I have the option to forgo my trip doesn’t change the fact that in the context of the situation, I was forced to take one path.

“4. required by circumstances;”

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I just call it how it is. As I’ve said many times here not once was I given the option to replace the battery and the fact that apple throttled the processor on older phones was never disclosed. So being told I need to replace the phone by an apple employee is forcing me into a new phone. I’m going to call American Express tomorrow and dispute the transaction now that it came out that apple was throttling the processors.

I don’t think disputing the transaction is going to get you very far honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW